Rush Album by Album, Song By Song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jan 11, 2020.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

2. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

That's some great stuff in the documentary when Alex is talking about the stuff they used to get up to with Peter.

3. mark winstanley

I'll have to check that out at some point.

4. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

Oh it's great.

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. mark winstanley

6. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

"Beneath, Between and Behind"

Probably spurred largely by Neil's approach--he seems to be the driving force behind a lot of it, Rush were brilliant during this early period, arrangement-wise, at constructing what would other be relatively simple songs as sets of variations. "Beneath, Between and Behind" is a good example of this.

Cool riffs on this one, and it's very catchy. Great vocal melody on the chorus.

7. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I think it's silly for people to have a problem with lyrics just because they don't agree with something being expressed anyway. Same with novels, films, etc.

As an example, I'm not at all fond of religion--I'm more the sort of person whose presence would cause a church to spontaneously catch on fire :), but I love tons of gospel music and even plenty of contemporary Christian music. I don't need to agree with sentiments being expressed in lyrics to enjoy any music.

8. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

Wow, love Geddy in a YES shirt

9. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

I love this clip. I love this band. And I miss Neil terribly.

10. CoachD

CoachD Forum Resident

"Beneath, Between and Behind"

I never new anything about the content of the lyrics to this song until today (that's give or take 34 years of listening).

This was one of the "first 4" ("Best I Can", "BB&B", "FBN", and "In The End") to reach me when I listened to FBN. I had already heard it via Exit so that helped a bit. I do think the studio version sounds a little more hard edged. Guitar rock anthems were certainly my primary focus in the 80's.

Does anyone else hear the main riff in the outro of the "Heartbreaker" solo? I love "Heartbreaker" so that was another reason I liked this song as well.

11. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Always loved that Yes shirt.

12. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

XYZ? :p

13. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Anthem
    They come blasting out with Anthem. Great song, great into for Neil and a great concert opening When they just blast that out at full concert volume. It doesn't get much better than that. Then they follow that tune-up with .....

Best I Can?
    I mean it's not bad I suppose, but it clearly sounds like something leftover from the first album. Basic and even Neil seems restrained on it like he wants to break out but they never seem to. Thankfully they return to form with.....

Beneath, Between & Behind.
    Always loved this song, especially the middle section where it breaks down. Great song live. I was super happy when I got to hear it live.

My 2 cents on the Ayn Rand influence in early Neil's writing and from personal experience. When you are young and start reading her stuff it certainly has an appeal. Be independent, depend on no one, and stay true to yourself. It just screams independence and presents a pretty easy way to live life. Believe in yourself and no one else. There is a lot of appeal in that. But then you start to live life and realize, hmmm maybe things are quite that simple. It's hard to stay true to your ideals and maybe sometimes you do have to make compromises to get where you want to in the end. Sometimes you need to depend on someone else to get to the next step. I now find Ayn Rand and her philosophy something you actually grow out of. We are interconnected in different ways with different people and yeah we make compromises and depend on others. You can be true to yourself, but at the same time, we are not an island. And I think if you read through Neils lyrics over the years he made that connection also. He grew out of the Ayn Rand thing. Enough of that rant I guess. This is just opinion for those that don't get that if I wasn't clear about it.

Stormrider77, debased, Murph and 9 others like this.
  14. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Great comment on Ayn Rand. As someone who read everything of hers up to Atlas Shrugged (as I've mentioned before, inspired by knowing Neil's influences) your thoughts about evolving out of Ayn are accurate. I still have a soft spot for The Fountainhead as an artistic statement wrapped in terrible writing, but yes, I grew quickly out of that "absolutism" she espoused. And though I think Neil held true to some of her thoughts through his life, it appeared he tempered it with other philosophies and approaches.

Wil1972, OptimisticGoat, ARK and 6 others like this.
  15. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

You know what's really funny about that, I still have a soft spot for the Fountainhead myself.... hahahah. Something about Howard Roark I guess... hahah

16. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Bad idea. Discussing the little parts of a long song individually over the course of a week will get tedious. Maybe post the long songs and give an extra day or two before posting the next song.

17. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Beneath, Between & Behind - love this song. This has always been right there with Anthem in tying for my 2nd favorite song from this record. Everyone is on fire in this one, and it has a youthful exuberance that is so appealing.

18. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Up until now I thought that I preferred Caress of Steel over Fly By Night but that's all changing now. Side one of Fly By Night is a spectacular side of music. And in fact it makes me think of these albums in halves as they would have been on vinyl. My brother got into Rush in the earliest days of cd's and I didn't get into them until years later than that so I've never listened to these older albums with a thought of them being split in two. And I find it an easier way to consume them especially when you're dealing with longer and longer songs.

Best I Can

I sort of feel like if this was on the debut I'd have a lower opinion of it because obviously it's a pretty dumb early Rush lyric. Although somewhere between the pacing of the song and Geddy's delivery it's easy to get lulled into not paying attention to the words. It's short and that's a huge bonus when you have the more outsider's view that every Rush song is 10 minutes long. It makes this breezy and very enjoyable.

Beneath, Between & Behind

Another short song and this is just heaven to me. This is a better song that Best I Can although again I can barely keep up with what Geddy is singing. He's just gliding along with the guitar and drums making me feel like this would be a perfect track to introduce someone to Rush; there's deeper words if you want them but you can just rock out and mush mouth along if you're inclined to ignore a possible message.

I'm loving Fly By Night and it's rapidly flying way up my list of favorite albums. I love the sound of it. It has to be in my top five Rush albums.

19. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

The brilliant, early press of the Gilbert Kong vinyl could be the best sounding Rush album save for Ludwig's Moving Pictures. When I'm blasting it anyway...:agree:

20. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Is that a young Eddie Trunk next to Alex?

21. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Howard Ungerleider

22. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Beneath, Between, and Behind:

I like this bouncy rocker. It has a solid hook and not to mention, has me nodding my head back and forth.

23. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Geddy is great at vocal gymnastics. BBB is a perfect example and another that comes to my mind is The Camera Eye.

24. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

A little aside if that's okay - does anybody else hear Brian May in Lifeson's playing? Especially this section from Now I'm Here, at 0:35-1:01. Strongly reminds me of Lifeson's style he would develop a little bit after the Rush debut album was released.

25. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Nice straight to the point song that shows how tight they were getting as a group. It chugs along and it never loses it's pace - the riff manages to fit with the vocal melody quite good plus the bass track adds to Lifeson's tone well and of course the drum track makes the chorus work as well as it does.