Rush Album by Album, Song By Song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Yeah Alex called "You Can't Fight It" lame and I agree with him, but Alex's guitar playing is already top notch.

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

I had never heard this before, thanks for posting. Neil is clearly the main man in this group as his drumming is dominating the music.

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think Neil was the main man in Rush, too. Of course Alex and Geddy are terrific, but Neil with his lyric ability and incredible drumming skills was a bit above the other two (and I say this a bass player who LOVES Geddy Lee).

basie-fan, Oliver, DiabloG and 2 others like this.
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Just a thought. I’m sure you’d rather do it yourself.

Oliver and mark winstanley like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I like to have a read anyhow. Always interesting to read what folks think.
    If you don't mind I'll link it when we get there, so others can check ot out too :righton:

GodShifter likes this.
  6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

No worries whatsoever.

I’d like to participate here, but only one certain songs. I’m not interested in going over entire albums at all. After Hold Your Fire my interest diminished greatly until Snakes and Arrows. Some of those albums in between I’m not terribly familiar with though at one point in time I made it a mission to listen to every single album (studio and live) through Clockwork in order and without any breaks. I used to love doing that with various band’s discographies. It was a learning experience and fun, too. Now, I’m too busy, distracted, and have a bad attitude.

Anyway, I guess I’ll have to keep up and see where things are at each day.

Cheers, Mark.

7. mark winstanley

You're welcome anytime :edthumbs:

GodShifter likes this.
  8. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

So re that Rush caveman days single, and especially re early footage like this:

What stands out to me more than anything is just how fully developed/sophisticated/mature-as-a-player Alex Lifeson seems. Lifeson comes across as someone who has been playing as a pro for 10 years or more, with great stage presence, too. Not to knock Geddy or even John Rutsey, but Geddy doesn't seem quite as seasoned as Alex at that point.

9. Terrapin Station

:laugh:

10. Terrapin Station

An interesting thing about that St. Catharine's footage: apparently that was a "Battle of the Bands" and Rush lost to Abraham's Children:

11. mark winstanley

Often it seems that Lifeson is somewhat underappreciated. Guitarists normally recognize him as a great player, but it sometimes seems generally he is overlooked.

12. bluenosens

bluenosens Forum Resident

When I saw them Live in Halifax, Nova Scotia they were simply awesome. But when they left the stage and Neil began his drum solo the audience was simply humbled and awed. He was so fast and clean. It was something to experience.

13. Late to the party (just like the Genesis Album By Album thread) again. In searching just now, I was hoping this type of thread existed for Rush and wouldn't you know it Mr. Winstanley is at the helm, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Thanks for getting this one started, Mark. It's going to be a great journey!

Rush is my favorite artist … ever. I still have lots of their history to learn, though.

The MEZ, DiabloG and mark winstanley like this.
  14. mark winstanley

Just in time mate. We haven't really started yet. Glad to have you aboard :cheers:

ries likes this.
  15. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

Whilst I most definitely am a fan I've of Rush, I've not actually explored the earliest Rush albums, so this should help get me into looking at them.

Looking forward to this, thread is being watched :righton:

Doggiedogma and mark winstanley like this.
  16. mark winstanley

Well I have searched high and low and I can't find any of the unreleased tracks, except for the Run Willie Run clip that @Ron2112 posted.
    So for those unaware here is the list of songs we are led to believe were written, and possibly recorded by the guys in 1970. I would imagine some of them would have been played live, as we know that the band quickly moved into playing original songs.

"Feel So Good" Unreleased single 1970 Played by the band as early as September 1970 [1]
    "Keep in Line" Unreleased single 1970 Played by band as early as September 1970 [1]
    "Love Light" Unreleased single 1970 Played by band as early as September 1970 [1]
    "Marguerite" Unreleased single 1970 Played by band as early as September 1970 [1]
    "Mike's Idea" Unreleased single 1970 Played by band as early as September 1970 [1]
    "Morning Star" Unreleased single 1970 Played by band as early as September 1970 [1]
    "Number One" Unreleased single 1970 Played by band as early as September 1970 [1]
    "Run Willie Run" Unreleased single 1970 Played by the band as early as September 1970. Southern R&B song about a young guy who's running from the law. [1][2]
    "Sing Guitar" Unreleased single 1970 Played by band as early as September 1970 [1]
    "Slaughterhouse" Unreleased single 1970-3 Played during the band's bar period, approximately 1970–1973 [1]
    "Tale" Unreleased single 1970 Played by band as early as September 1970

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

?

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

He has always been a bit overshadowed by his bandmates, largely because Neil's drumming was such a force of nature, and then Geddy's "jack of all trades" greatness was impossible to ignore. Plus, there are just so many great notable rock guitar players that Alex kind of gets lost in the mix sometimes, whereas it is impossible to have a best rock drummer discussion without Neil's name coming up, and ditto for that with Geddy and bass players. Make no mistake, though, Alex Lifeson is a tremendous guitar player.

19. RicB

RicB Certified Porcupine Tree Fan

Just watching a bit from the documentary "Beyond the Lighted Stage" and Geddy teases Alex about a song he wrote called "Time" - and how awful the lyrics were. Ged says he still has the "evidence".

20. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Excited to see how this goes. Noticing a lot of familiar faces from other great album by album threads. Of course because of Neil's passing some of the discussion is bittersweet however it's also a good time time to celebrate Neil and Rush in general.

team2, GodShifter, ceddy10165 and 3 others like this.
  21. RicB

There was a "Working Man (Vault Version)" released on iTunes only (and the video game Rock Band) in 2008 with a different guitar solo. That could be added to some collection along with the original single and some unreleased early tracks.

22. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I have to check out the Rock Band multitracks for the Rush material - I wouldn't be surprised if they were mastered differently from the known catalog.

ceddy10165 and mark winstanley like this.
  23. RicB

Rush by Rush

My review in brief:

Finding My Way - cool LZ sounding riff, mostly throw-away lyrics, great abbreviated instrumental version to start the R30 tour.
    Need Some Love - ooh...not too good - "Need Some Songwriting"
    Take a Friend - didn't think it was possible, but we're on a downward dive here from Need Some Love.
    Here Again - Ok...things are looking up. Great bass lines. Still the lyrics are questionable (but better than the last two songs...)
    What You're Doing - Holy Riffs, Batman! Lotsa fun on this one. Lyrics still not so great, but don't really detract too much.
    In the Mood - the track that inexplicably stayed in the live set list FOREVER... It's not terrible, but the lyrics...and the cowbell...oy vey!
    Before and After - the harmonic guitar during the first part of this track is sublime - the riff that follows is okay - the lyrics? Ouch.
    Working Man. The Rush Power Anthem. Simple lyrics - but they WORK. The music??? AMAZING. The one GREAT standout track on the album.

All songs words and music by Lee and Lifeson - except In the Mood - by Lee.

24. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Sure, I'll join in. Rush was sort of always in the background for me, but I was never a big fan and never saw them in concert. A Farewell to Kings was the first album I heard, and even that only a few years after it came out. Of course, Permanent Waves and Motion Pictures were huge albums during my 9th-10th grade years. They seemed to get played at many of the school parties I attended during that period of time. The first Rush album I actually owned, however, was Power Windows. It wasn't until much much later that I finally went back and acquired their entire catalog. In general, I am probably more a fan of 1980s Rush than of 1970s or 1990s onward Rush. I generally find Geddy's vocals a bit too shrill on the 1970s material and Neil's lyrics too, well, Ayn Randian (whose beliefs I am almost entirely opposed to). By the 1980s, both of those aspects of their music were changed, to my ears for the better.

"Not Fade Away" b/w "You Can't Fight It" - they certainly showed promise on this debut single. The a-side cover is quite fine; the b-side is pretty generic and unmemorable. But there is quite a lot of instrumental talent on display here, even without Neil Peart yet being on the scene.

25. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Power Windows is my favorite!