Rush Album by Album, Song By Song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jan 11, 2020.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

The Spirit of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974–1987

[​IMG]
    Greatest hits album by
    Rush
    Released
    February 11, 2003
    Recorded 1973–1987
    Genre Progressive rock, hard rock, heavy metal
    Length 79:47
    Label Mercury (outside Canada and Japan)
    Anthem
    Atlantic (Japan)
    Producer Rush, Terry Brown (tracks 2-12), Peter Henderson (track 13), Peter Collins (tracks 14-16)

The Spirit of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974–1987 is a compilation album by Canadian rock band Rush, released on February 11, 2003. It includes many of the band's most popular songs from their Mercury Records era, but does not feature any material from their third album Caress of Steel. A special edition of the album included a DVD containing music videos for several songs, including "Mystic Rhythms" (which does not appear on the album itself).

1. "Working Man", from Rush (1974) – 7:11
    2. "Fly by Night", from Fly by Night (1975) – 3:22
    3. "2112 Overture / The Temples of Syrinx", from 2112 (1976) – 6:45
    4. "Closer to the Heart", from A Farewell to Kings (1977) – 2:53
    5. "The Trees", from Hemispheres (1978) – 4:42
    6. "The Spirit of Radio", from Permanent Waves (1980) – 4:57
    7. "Freewill", from Permanent Waves – 5:23
    8. "Limelight", from Moving Pictures (1981) – 4:20
    9. "Tom Sawyer", from Moving Pictures – 4:33
    10. "Red Barchetta", from Moving Pictures – 6:10
    11. "New World Man", from Signals (1982) – 3:43
    12. "Subdivisions", from Signals – 5:34
    13. "Distant Early Warning", from Grace Under Pressure (1984) – 4:58
    14. "The Big Money", from Power Windows (1985) – 5:35
    15. "Force Ten", from Hold Your Fire (1987) – 4:32
    16. "Time Stand Still", from Hold Your Fire – 5:09
    bonus dvd
    1. "Closer to the Heart"
    2. "Tom Sawyer"
    3. "Subdivisions"
    4. "The Big Money"
    5. "Mystic Rhythms"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is an interesting exercise really. For me, probably most of my favourite Rush songs aren't necessarily going to be tracks that go on a compilation, but then again this ends up being a very good compile of the bands somewhat more commercial type songs.
    To a degree, I suppose it is predictable what appears on here, but I am guessing this album serviced the casual Rush fan quite well.
    Although I can't help but feel that those who only have this in their collection are missing the steak and veggies from the Rush catalog.

ThunderDan, ytserush and Melllvar like this.
  2. mark winstanley

Rush in Rio

[​IMG]
    Video by
    Rush
    Released
    Recorded 23 November 2002, Rio de Janeiro
    Venue Maracanã Stadium
    Genre Progressive rock, hard rock
    Label Anthem/Zoë Vision
    Director Daniel E. Catullo III
    Producer Daniel E. Catullo III, Lawrence Jordan, Lionel Pasamonte

Rush in Rio is a live DVD by Canadian band Rush, released in 2003 (see 2003 in music). It is also available as a three CD set. It was the first concert DVD ever released by the band, consisting of 29 songs, and is available in both one- and two-disc sets. Bonus features in the two-disc set include a behind-the-scenes tour documentary directed by Andrew MacNaughtan and multi-angle viewing options for three instrumentals. The performance was recorded and filmed at Maracanã Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and was the final night on the 2002 Vapor Trails Tour. It is the band's first live video that presents a single night's entire performance.

The attendance at this show was 40,000, the second largest crowd at a show on the Vapor Trails Tour (the largest crowd being 60,000 at the previous night's show in São Paulo).

The crew had such a difficult time driving from São Paulo to Rio de Janeiro that they were hours late when they arrived at the stadium, and no sound or video check was done because the crowd was entering by the time everything was set up. After this show, Neil Peart's rotating drum riser was destroyed when it was being removed from the stadium by a flat-bed truck whose driver miscalculated the height of the exit. The Vapor Trails carpet that was on the stage was left behind after it got so soaked with rain water it could not fly back with the rest of the equipment, and was later sold on eBay to a fan in Connecticut.

The Rush In Rio DVD received the 2004 Juno Award for "Music DVD of the Year."[1]

• Geddy Lee - vocals, bass guitar, synthesizers, acoustic guitar on "Resist"
    • Alex Lifeson - electric and acoustic guitars, backing vocals
    • Neil Peart - drums and percussion
    Production[edit]
    • Daniel E. Catullo III - director, producer
    • Andrew MacNaughtan - director of "The Boys in Brazil"
    • Lawrence Jordan, Lionel Pasamonte - producers
    • Ray Danniels, Pegi Cecconi, Bryan Domyan - executive producers
    • Allan Weinrib - executive producer, producer of "The Boys in Brazil"
    • Glenis S. Gross, Tilton Gardner, Robert McClaugherty - co-executive producers
    • Michael J. Schultz, Alberto Magno - Brazilian producers
    • Ted Kenney - line producer
    • James 'Jimbo' Barton - audio producer
    Disc 1
    1. "Tom Sawyer" – 5:04
    2. "Distant Early Warning" – 4:50
    3. "New World Man" – 4:04
    4. "Roll the Bones" – 6:15
    5. "Earthshine" – 5:44
    6. "YYZ" – 4:56
    7. "The Pass" – 4:52
    8. "Bravado" – 6:18
    9. "The Big Money" – 6:03
    10. "The Trees" – 5:12
    11. "Freewill" – 5:48
    12. "Closer to the Heart" – 3:04
    13. "Natural Science" – 8:34
    14. "One Little Victory" – 5:32
    15. "Driven" – 5:22
    16. "Ghost Rider" – 5:36
    17. "Secret Touch" – 7:00
    18. "Dreamline" – 5:10
    19. "Red Sector A" – 5:16
    20. "Leave That Thing Alone" – 4:59
    21. "O Baterista [Drum Solo]" – 8:54
    22. "Resist" – 4:23
    23. "2112 Overture/The Temples of Syrinx" – 6:52
    24. "Limelight" – 4:29
    25. "La Villa Strangiato" – 10:05
    26. "The Spirit of Radio" – 5:28
    Encore:

1. "By-Tor and the Snow Dog" – 4:34
    2. "Cygnus X-1" – 3:12
    3. "Working Man" – 5:48
    Disc 2
    The Documentary: The Boys in Brazil

MX Multiangle Songs:

1. "YYZ"
    2. "O Baterista"
    3. "La Villa Strangiato"
    + Easter Eggs

---------------------------------------------
    Rush in Rio

[​IMG]
    Live album by
    Rush
    Released
    October 21, 2003
    Recorded November 23, 2002
    September 27, 2002 ("Between Sun & Moon")
    October 19, 2002 ("Vital Signs")
    Venue Maracanã Stadium
    Genre Progressive rock
    Length 173:25
    Label Anthem
    Producer Alex Lifeson and James "Jimbo" Barton

Disc 1
    1. "Tom Sawyer" – 5:04 (Pye Dubois, Lee, Lifeson, Peart)
    2. "Distant Early Warning" – 4:50
    3. "New World Man" – 4:04
    4. "Roll the Bones" – 6:15
    5. "Earthshine" – 5:44
    6. "YYZ" (instrumental) – 4:56 (Lee, Peart)
    7. "The Pass" – 4:52
    8. "Bravado" – 6:19
    9. "The Big Money" – 6:03
    10. "The Trees" – 5:12
    11. "Freewill" – 5:48
    12. "Closer to the Heart" – 3:04 (Peter Talbot, Lee, Lifeson, Peart)
    13. "Natural Science" – 8:34
    Disc 2
    1. "One Little Victory" – 5:32
    2. "Driven" – 5:22
    3. "Ghost Rider" – 5:36
    4. "Secret Touch" – 7:00
    5. "Dreamline" – 5:10
    6. "Red Sector A" – 5:16
    7. "Leave That Thing Alone" (Instrumental) – 4:59
    8. "O Baterista" (instrumental) – 8:54 (Peart)
    9. "Resist" – 4:23
    10. "2112 Overture/The Temples of Syrinx" – 6:52
    Disc 3
    1. "Limelight" – 4:29
    2. "La Villa Strangiato" (Instrumental) – 10:05
    3. "The Spirit of Radio" – 5:28
    4. "By-Tor & the Snow Dog" – 4:35
    5. "Cygnus X-1" (Instrumental) – 3:12
    6. "Working Man" – 5:34 (Lee, Lifeson)
    7. "Between Sun & Moon" – 4:51 (Bonus Track) (Lee, Lifeson, Peart, Dubois)
    8. "Vital Signs" – 4:58 (Bonus Track)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sadly for some reason these few years here, Rush's music was terribly habbled by really poor sound production ....

I don't have the cd, I tend to lean towards concert videos these days, I have always loved live albums, but since the advent of concert videos live albums are a little redundant to me.

The dvd for this the audio wasn't great, but it was ok. It was just that the mix wasn't terrific.
    The bluray seems to have quite a few audio issues. It is very thin, and doesn't have the impact it really should.
    If anything needs remixing and doping properly in the Rush catalog it is this.

This is a great concert. The setlist is very inclusive and the playing, and enthusiasm of the band is great .... This should be among the best concert videos going, but the audio is a big let down.

Not really sure what else to say, really good and disappointing at the same time.

Anyway, give us your spin on this release guys.

Cheers
    Mark

3. mark winstanley

The Boys In Brazil

Wil1972, Stormrider77, Thorpy and 4 others like this.
  4. RicB

RicB Certified Porcupine Tree Fan

Rush in Rio

A great tragedy of an album - a FANTASTIC set list - an outrageously good performance - an energized fan base - BUT - so poorly captured/recorded. The "BUT" aside, this may be my favorite live album by Rush.

5. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

The Spirit of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974–1987:

The completest in me has the one and like many bands with an established catalog that goes way way back, how can you fit 30 years worth of Rush onto a single CD? This comp to me is much like Yes's 'Highlights'. It provides a decent compact overview of the band's recorded output during the Mercury Years and it's great disc for the casual listener who wants the radio friendly stuff. Pair this album with '...Retro 3' and you've got a solid anthology set.

ytserush and mark winstanley like this.
  6. K.K.VanMalmsteen

K.K.VanMalmsteen These Go To Eleven

Audio issues aside, Rio is a solid live album for sure, although I haven't revisited it in years.
    When it first came out and I threw that DVD on my big ass TV, the crowd reaction was otherworldly. Just off the charts enthusiasm, and it was breathtaking.
    I have no problem admitting I was tearing up during YYZ, the crowd participation was beautiful, and I was just SOOOO HAPPY for the guys, and especially Neil, that they were embraced that way.
    Really an incredible document that I am grateful we have.

7. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I've given the Rush in Rio CDs a listen this morning while working, and this concert is every bit as good as I remember. High energy, the band playing well and having fun, an enthusiastic audience. Just listen to La Villa Strangiatio and the references to certain South American music! The setlist is killer, with the later material standing up proud alongside the earlier tracks. The recording isn't great, but it's far more listenable than Vapor Trails to my ears. A truly classic document of the band at their best. I need to give the BR another watch, even with its inferior sound quality.

ThunderDan, ytserush, Lamus and 2 others like this.
  8. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I never bothered with The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-1987 as there was nothing new on it and it just seemed like a cash-in from their former international label. Since I'm not counting compilation releases, I won't be ranking it.

On the other hand, Rush In Rio is an excellent live album - in fact, it might be my favorite Rush live album. I've never seen the video (until now), but for the first time, the companion video release has the same exact musical content as the album (excepting the two additional album tracks that came from earlier concerts on the VT tour) so I can run through them both at the same time. This is the first time they released a single complete concert on a live album without edits.

Disc 1 for now; the others later:

Tom Sawyer - great choice to open in a country that may not be as familiar with the Rush catalog. Solid, energetic performance in front of a typically animated Brazilian crowd. One of the better officially released live versions of this song.
    Distant Early Warning - great follow-up choice and a very energetic, lively version.
    New World Man - wow, this sounds great! Another strong live performance.
    Roll The Bones - the first song that doesn't come off that well; Geddy's vocal seems off. I prefer the Different Stages version.
    Earthshine - the first new song from VT is very good. I miss the acoustics on the studio version, but this is a stellar performance.
    YYZ - love the crowd roar at the opening Morse code. Solid performance.
    The Pass - this one is fine but doesn't register as a live highlight.
    Bravado - ditto the above; fine but not memorable up until Alex's solo at the end.
    The Big Money - a needed shot of energy and an excellent performance.
    The Trees - excellent version of this song.
    Freewill - solid performance but not a particular highlight.
    Closer To The Heart - their most frequently officially released live song by this point, this was only added to the tour setlist for the Mexican/ Brazilian shows. It's a good version and Geddy hits all of the notes. It lacks the coda that some previous live versions had.
    Natural Science - another excellent live version of this song, nearly equalling the version on Different Stages.

Stray thoughts: I'm noticing that the video uses far more quick cuts than any previous Rush concert video release, which I find mildly annoying. I've read a lot of complaints about the sound but after listening to Vapor Trails over the past two weeks, the sound here comes as quite a relief! It may not be the best produced concert recording, but it sounds good enough to me. I'm certainly not put off listening to the album due to the sound. The album cover, however, is somewhat bizarre and not particularly to my taste.

9. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

I think it's interesting (and good) the order of the MP selections. Most of us would not have done it that way but looking at it, you can see the logic in it.

mark winstanley likes this.
  10. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Out of the Cradle
    This one just doesn't deliver for me, it's a bit of a mess and I really don't care for Geddy's vocals. I understand this will not be a popular comment, and I apologize to those who like it.

Lamus, JulesRules and mark winstanley like this.
  11. BluesOvertookMe

Vapor Trails as an entire album
    While I know it was a blessing that Rush ever performed together again, much less made new material, I don't think Vapor Trails was much better than Test For Echo. Yes, there were some high points, but overall there did seem to be a bit of a formula that was followed. I agree with @Flaevius that the lack of dynamism between the tracks does cause an issue. Also @dirkster has a point that it suffers a bit from no guitar solos and no keyboards.

Better than TFE, but not as good as Presto or Counterparts for me.

12. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Nocturne:

The highlights are distributed rather evenly across the album. Thankfully, we get something a bit more experimental with this and the next song, because I couldn't have stomached another cardboard cut-out rocker á la "Sweet Miracle".

I quite like Geddy's vocal here - that and his bass, which really shines during the verses. There is also a nice sense of urgency here, if not as pronounced as in "Secret Touch". In some way, this reminds me slightly of "Double Agent" in its distressed atmosphere. The two songs also have a slightly overlong chorus in common, but it's not enough to ruin the song for me. Buried near the end of an overlong album, this is probably the atmospheric highlight. The layers of vocals and guitar actually work really well. I'm knocking points off because there's not a lot of harmonic or melodic variation, in fact the only thing special about the composition is the one odd chord that keeps appearing in the verse.

Freeze (Part IV of "Fear"):

This is another song I was actually looking forward to. It has a really promising opening, and I have to admit that the song develops really well in the first two minutes. Odd, jumpy rhythm, Geddy singing really well, Alex using chilling guitar sounds... "The Enemy Within", anyone?

But again, there's so many flaws here that the mind boggles. The sudden breakdown at 1:39 doesn't really work well at all, and as I've said before it's an exact copy/paste of the intro part from "How It Is". Secondly, while I can also hear a certain continuity with "Witch Hunt", one really wonders why Rush suddenly thought they needed to continue a trilogy that had been completed many years ago already (1981-1983). And given how synth-heavy those original tracks were, it's more than odd to go back to the Fear topic on the first album since 1975 to not include any keyboards!!

So, this song ends up being a bit of a mish-mash that doesn't entirely hit the mark... but the main idea is strong enough to carry it over the line for me.

Additional thought: I don't think I've ever listened to the four parts of "Fear" in order. This - along with both parts of "Cygnus X-1" - would be a nice playlist, or perhaps even a Record Store Day LP.

Out of the Cradle:

So, I understand wanting to end this album on a high note, but unfortunately it ends with what I consider to be easily the worst song. There is a bit of a Power Windows vibe on the verse, but the chorus melody really rubs me the wrong way... it's almost as bad as "High Water", and that was a real (ahem) low-water-mark for me. Even the lyric feels like it's clutching at straws... wordplay on "rock" and "cradle" has not worked well with Billy Idol, and it doesn't work well with Rush either.
    The only really good moments are when the lead vocal drops out for the middle, but still... I also don't know if that's meant to be a guitar solo in the middle, and if it's meant to be funky? This song just really confuses me to no end. At the end, Geddy even manages to make the already annoying "endlessly rocking" sound even more annoying by kicking it up a tone. Gah!

Vapor Trails:

This is Rush's longest album - and at the same time, their least varied. Not a good mixture. What sounds like a reinvigorated band dissipates much too quickly, even if there are some highlights buried in the second half. But I just find this album leaden and not inspiring. There is too much hardness, too much guitar thrashing for guitar thrashing's sake. I've once said that this album is like getting 13 slaps in the face. I just find other things much more pleasurable.

They played a few songs off this live, but far less than you would imagine on a tour that's meant to promote a new album, and each of them stuck out like a sore thumb because of the harshness, heavy-handedness and lack of compositional finesse. Nonetheless, the songs did sound closer to classic Rush with the band playing live and giving them a bit of a smoother face. "Earthshine" and "Secret Touch" especially revealed more quality live, and it does make me wish "Peaceable Kingdom", "The Stars Look Down", "Nocturne" and especially "Freeze" had been dropped into the set every now and then. Even if, and I repeat myself, there's not one single song on here that doesn't have what I perceive as some major flaw in writing, arranging or performing - the latter mainly being down to Geddy's deteriorating voice, which he used to better effect on the previous albums.

As much as I criticized Test for Echo for its lack of direction and all too complacent sound, the cure isn't much better than the disease in this case. Obviously there is a desperateness and darkness here that wouldn't have come about if Neil hadn't had to endure those tragedies, but musically it seems like this was the direction they were headed in, anyway, more or less.
    In general, I think it's a bit of a tragedy that the move away from Geddy's constant use of keyboards didn't also entail a move back towards the use of keys as on the 1977-1981 albums. Those used the keyboards for accent, for additional melodies and motifs, and for creating atmospheres. We got a bit of that on Counterparts, at least.
    Anyway, I've still given over half the album above-average ratings (One Little Victory, Ceiling Unlimited, Peaceable Kingdom, The Stars Look Down, Secret Touch, Earthshine, Nocturne + Freeze), but as a whole I find this album too much to take.

I think they just lost perspective on things. Bear in mind that Paul Northfield had mixed "Different Stages", which IMO also has sonic issues, and then you add in the CD mastering by Howie Weinberg (who was apparently notorious for crushing every master he got - I read this in a discussion that could now be considered classic)...

I'm also surprised. I mean, it has flaws, but I think this is one of the more interesting tracks on here.

13. JulesRules

I'm with you on this one as well as Freeze (and Claus on Nocturne!)...

Ted: I noticed is that you really brought out some buried guitar parts and featured an omitted lead break in “Ceiling Unlimited.” Alex and Geddy left out that break in the original version, why did you include it?
    David: It sounded good to me. As I said, I just worked with the material they gave me. I didn’t really check the originals to see what they used or didn’t use. I liked that solo and put it in. I don’t think many people have complained about that one so far. When a record is made, often times there are things that are recorded that are left out of the final mix. I had no attachment to the older mixes or what was left in or out. I just put in all the mixes what I thought worked the best. I don’t think I left much out from the tracks they gave me. There was no really grand plan for the mixes. I just tried to make the songs all shine as much as I could. There was some talk in the fan press that the tracks were distorted in the recording process or that there have been new recordings done. Neither is true. The source recordings are top quality and we didn’t add anything new from those early recordings.

The Popdose Interview: David Bottrill on Rush’s “Vapor Trails Remixed” - Popdose

Wil1972, Thorpy, ytserush and 4 others like this.
  14. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Vapor Trails

Thanks to this thread I finally tried to grasp this album, being appalled by the sound of the CD when buying it on release and leaving it on the shelf until now. There's much to like here, but ultimately this album lands a spot very far down on my list of Rush albums. I pretty much only really like three songs on it; Ceiling Unlimited, Earthshine and Sweet Miracle. And maybe The Way It Is, a successful straight pop song albeit of a kind that doesn't really fit on this album. The rest of the songs range from decent at best to forgettable at worst. Overall impression is that most songs are too long and suffer from kind of a cut & paste method of writing, where different jam ideas are glued into songs without really fitting together. There are sections in songs that I love but that are surrounded by parts I don't care for at all. Ghost Rider probably being the best example.

With the risk of repeating myself, I (still) can't stand the sound of the original CD. And I can't stand the "remix". It's not a remix at all, but a revision of the album. The thing I can't get past, no matter the merits of the "remix" otherwise, is the new snare and bass drum sound. The raw nature of the drum sound of the original mix serves this music so well, while the new drum sounds that has been triggered on there in the remix are so cheesy I can't stand it. The Van Dette remaster of the original mix is the only way I can endure listening to this album, although it has his signature bright and overly compressed sound. By the way; another reason not to like the existence of the remix is that Sean Magee likely would have been given the task to remaster Vapor Trails (original mix) hadn't the album been remixed and released that way in 2013. Kind of frustrating that the two albums that may have benefitted the most from Magee's touch, Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels, were left out of the program. In my view the mix has never been the problem with VP, only the original mastering.

On a different note; English is not my first language, but doesn't Geddy sound more Canadian than ever on this album? "Road" is "rude" and "look" is "luke" etc. I'm not complaining, just making an observation since I haven't really noticed on previous albums.

Rush in Rio

I love the Boys in Brazil documentary! I watch it often. Unfortunately I don't have much positive things to say about the live performances, as great as it must have been to watch this show live. I listen to music very much in a "from the drums up" fashion, and I'm sad to say this is not one of Neil's finest moments. I think Rush as a live band hit their peak somewhere in the late 80's/early 90's. This concert sounds messy, regardless of the production. I usually can stand listening/watching about 2-3 songs before turning it off. Not a song on here that are on par with the studio or other live version.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  15. BluesOvertookMe

My top 15 (!) song rank through the first 17 studio albums:

I'm expecting some negative feedback on this!

[​IMG]

@Flaevius , I figured out how to do the arrows! So cool.

16. JulesRules

Possibly because that's by Bruce Hornsby? :p Sorry, couldn't resist :)
    That's sadly true. Especially wrt CA.

I approve of "Between Sun & Moon"!

17. BluesOvertookMe

No one else will :help:

18. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Haha! Goes to show how much I've come to really connect with Vapor Trails...:) On the same note; I meant Secret Touch when I wrote Sweet Miracle (as one of three favorite songs). Guess this just isn't (and never was) a memorable Rush album for me. At the very bottom of my list fighting with Hold Your Fire to keep its nose above the surface.

JulesRules and mark winstanley like this.
  19. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Maybe not a top 15 song, but I hold Between Sun & Moon as one of the best songs post Grace Under Pressure.

20. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Rush in Rio

[​IMG]

I watched this fairly recently, specifically the Blu-ray version. Despite the issues that plagued the band for that show, it comes across fairly well. It has a pretty good set list, and the band seem to be really getting off of the enthusiasm from the audience.

The only thing that bothered me slightly was the video quality. I've pretty much become a Blu-ray snob, and I like picking up the odd concert BR by a favorite band or artist. I used to own the original DVD of this release, but upgraded to the R40 BR set. I suppose the DVD looked fine on my old Sony CRT TV, but the show was "filmed" in the pre-HD era. Watching the BR now on an HD flatscreen, the lack of sharpness to the image was a distraction. It wouldn't bother me so much considering that I have more than a few similar BRs that fall into the same category (some noticably better than others, particularly ones that were properly filmed originally), but compared to all the subsequent Rush videos that have been filmed in HD, this one just doesn't compete. Sound quality is decent, but nothing to write home about.

21. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Rush in Rio:

Considering that they broke their 4 studio / 1 live album streak, I really didn't see this coming so soon. Anyway, I got my CD and DVD copies a day early (Being in the ordering dept at Borders has its perks :D). A couple listens at home and during my bike rides to work and home, I found the album fascinating. Muddiness aside, it was great to hear the audience join in with such excitement! Plus the band definitely has some heart and energy playing that night. Then there's the setlist which is great to see so many favorites and classics being performed. The DVD on the other hand, I actually put on the store's TV display. Managed to sell a few of those DVD sets with ease!

It's been ages since I've listened to the album and watched the DVD sets; I guess time to kick back and revisit them both this week.

Al Gator, mark winstanley and HenryH like this.
  22. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Not sure why.... that list is solid. Anagram is a bit of an outlier, but just one in such a list shouldn't be cause for complaint... and I, for one, think it's an inspired couice and I love it.

mark winstanley likes this.
  23. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Disc 2 of Rush In Rio:

One Little Victory - on the video, we see the short animation film of the dragon on the album cover as a lead in to this song. This began the second set of the concert after a short intermission. Unfortunately, this is still the only truly bad song on Vapor Trails in my opinion. This live version is no better.
    Driven - a good live rendition of this excellent song. Cool little bass solo.
    Ghost Rider - the sound is so much better here than on the studio original. Excellent version.
    Secret Touch - solid version with the improved live sound compared to the album. Good song.
    Dreamline - nothing particularly special here, just a good performance of a very good song.
    Red Sector A - good performance but hearing those synth drums in a 2002 concert is odd
    Leave That Thing Alone - sort of an odd choice to play this one, but it's a good performance and leads directly into...
    O Baterista - Neil's drum solo on this tour. Again, not a fan of drum solos, but the video at least gives me a good look at how he plays it.
    Resist - a dramatically rearranged acoustic version of this song, this is simply excellent. What a great song.
    2112 (Overture/The Temples Of Syrinx) - not sure how well this works after the preceding song, but a decent run-through of the first two sections of the song.

24. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Yeah, it's missing half of Power Windows!

mark winstanley and Lamus like this.
  25. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Disc 3 of Rush In Rio:

Limelight - not a terrific performance, with Geddy straining to hit his notes.
    La Villa Strangiato - solid, but missing the magic of the version on Exit...Stage Left. Alex gets his solo vocal spot and the song gets a Jobim twist.
    The Spirit Of Radio - again, a good performance but no match for the studio original.
    By-Tor And The Snow Dog - to start the encore, we get an abbreviated version of this song (just as they played in 1978 on the version included on Different Stages). I guess they didn't like to play the full song. This is okay but Geddy's vocal makes it somewhat hard to listen to.
    Cygnus X-1 (Instrumental) - The previous track segues into this excerpt from "Book One: The Voyage" of "Cygnus X-1" and this transition works rather well I think. Not sure why they only played this instrumental section rather than a vocal part but it transitions nicely into...
    Working Man - a solid version of a song I never liked all that much to begin with. Seems like an odd choice to end the show, but that's what they did.
    Between Sun & Moon - taken from a show in Phoenix about two months earlier, this is a nice bonus track even if the guitar here reminds me of why I don't like Counterparts. It's just an unpleasant tone. Pretty good song though.
    Vital Signs - taken from a Quebec City show about one month before the Rio concert, this is a good version. The sound on these two bonus tracks is weaker than that of the Rio concert.

Any idea why they had a rack of washing machines onstage?

Now that I've heard it again, I probably like this live album just a bit less than Different Stages, but it's nice to have a full concert represented on a Rush album. Rating the Rush albums to this point:

1. Power Windows
    2. Moving Pictures
    3. Hold Your Fire
    4. Permanent Waves
    5. A Farewell To Kings
    6. Signals
    7. Caress Of Steel
    8. Grace Under Pressure
    9. Hemispheres
    10. A Show Of Hands
    11. 2112
    12. Fly By Night
    13. Vapor Trails
    14. Different Stages
    15. Rush In Rio
    16. Test For Echo
    17. Roll The Bones
    18. Exit...Stage Left
    19. Presto
    20. All The World's A Stage
    21. Counterparts
    22. Rush

Not going to rank the songs on live albums and my top 6 Rush songs don't change as a result of Rush In Rio.

mark winstanley and Lamus like this.