Rush - Hold Your Fire

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thatguy1976, Jul 25, 2017.

1. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

+1 on that. For them to go out on that album to me was perfect. They finally did a full concept album, and thematically and musically hit the nail on the head. Agree on the dynamic range, but I can tolerate it compared to the original Vapor Trails.

2. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I think most of their later albums suffer from something and as albums they don't really rate anywhere near their peak period. Listening recently though to a mixed loop of everything some tracks definetly sound better outside of the album experience. HYF as I stated on this thread hasn't aged that badly I bought the thing originally on import here in the UK on vinyl and it never sounded good at all. It's got a mood, is interesting but is lacking in power/dynamics and as such imo it's nowhere near the top ten never mind number one.

3. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I'm by no means a hardcore fan but "Time Stand Still" is my favorite thing Rush ever did. The solo/instrumental section midsong in the weird time signature is so beautifully simple, yet still blows my mind every time. A perfect song.

4. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I think it's a near miss of an album I think the last two studio albums needed a really strong producer to edit and quality control because that's what's lacking-there's enough raw materials and energy to suggest a truly great record was possible-for me it didn't happen maybe the song The Garden signifies it best-it sounds more moving due to Peart's death so the lyrics do have a strong resonance and are well crafted but the tune irritatingly fails to deliver. A good example of this style of direct writing with emotional impact and a musical delivery would be The Pass.

5. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

If you are a fan of HYF and "A Show of Hands", do yourself a favor and find the ROIO "Birmingham '88 Remaster".

It is compiled from the ASOH cd and laserdisc to make an almost complete set list.

DISC 1
    Three Stooges Intro 0:52
    The Big Money 5:57
    Subdivisions 5:23
    Marathon 6:32
    Turn The Page 4:42
    Prime Mover 5:33
    Manhattan Project 5:10
    Closer To The Heart 4:32
    Red Sector A 5:11
    Force Ten 4:55
    Time Stand Still 5:11
    Distant Early Warning 5:15

DISC 2
    Lock And Key 6:34
    Mission 5:41
    Territories 6:20
    YYZ 3:18
    The Rhythm Method 4:37
    The Spirit Of Radio 4:59
    Tom Sawyer 5:38
    2112: Overture/The Temples of Syrinx 5:33
    La Villa Strangiato 5:27
    In The Mood 3:11

Of course, it is still not complete. "Limelight", the 30 second snippet of "Red Lenses", a significant portion of the recorded intros to "2112" and "Distant Early Warning",
    the clock sounds that precede "Time Stand Still", and 1 minute of "The Rhythm Method" are still missing, leaving this show about 10 minutes short.
    Nevertheless, this recording is now better than ever and is worth a new listen.

Scott Sheagren likes this.
  6. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I prefer the 4/2/88 Nebraska show although it's not professionally recorded.

7. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy.

God vapor trails is a sonic mess.but I don’t think the remix is great either.lol

JediJoker and DiabloG like this.
  8. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

THIS

9. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

As mastered, the remix is dynamically identical to the original release, and I don't prefer its production choices. Especially grating is the beater-forward, neutered kick drum. Totally unfitting of the music.

Dansk, ytserush, DiabloG and 2 others like this.
  10. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Yes totally agree! The remix may have removed some of the most obvious muddiness the original mix had, however the original mix I felt better captured the feel of the rawness and emotions Neil wanted to express through this album. The remix feels at times too much like a ProTools fanmade mix

11. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up! The "Hold Your Fire" era of Rush is probably the one period I haven't dug too too deep into and getting a feel for their full setlists for that era is something I want to check out

Scott Sheagren likes this.
  12. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

I have the Van Dette remaster which is slightly more tolerable.

JediJoker likes this.
  13. Scott Sheagren

i have made up my mind vapor trails and test for echo are my least favorite Rush albums.if someone took my cds of them i would never even buy them back or be sad they are gone.
    counterparts is 3rd least favorite but can pick at least 2 or 3 songs i like.hold your fire to me is one of the best rush albums for me now.all the 70s and 80s albums by them i love.and i think roll the bones is great.after that the only ones i enjoy are snakes and arrows and clock work angels.

DiabloG likes this.
  14. johnHS

johnHS Forum Resident

I love the version on A Show of Hands. I had bought Hold your Fire on vinyl when it came out and then bought ASOH on cd and played the heck out of it.

Sevoflurane and twicks like this.
  15. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

I did not enjoy Vapor trails for many, many years. Recently, for some research I'm doing, I've listened to it multiple times in the span of a couple weeks. It is a better album than I gave it credit for, and some songs that never stood out to me are becomng favorites. I chalk it up to the fact that the original master was well-nigh unlistenable, and the album is too long by far.

However, Test For Echo is far worse of an album than I remembered. Only 4-5 good songs on it (though the good ones are damn good). The rest is all pretty meh. I think seeing them on the tour made me remember this album being better.

Snakes & Arrows is still my least favorite album of theirs. I can hardly make it through it.

Purple and Wounded Land like this.
  16. Scott Sheagren

to me everything after that album they sounded like a generic rock band.i do love clockwork angels as one of there best albums though.and like a lot of songs of snakes and arrows

17. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

hmmm, off the top of my head I would like to know a generic rock band that does a song like Nobody's Hero

18. Scott Sheagren

yeah counterparts my 3rd least favorite rush album.that album just bores me to death besides a couple songs.the sound on it to me reminds me just a generic sound.

Purple likes this.
  19. Scott Sheagren

oh hell no!vapor Trails and Test for Echo are easily worse then Hold your Fire.

DiabloG likes this.
  20. Scott Sheagren

once i got use to the 80s sound its an amazing album.lock and key is simply a awesome song.in fact i love the whole album.

CybrKhatru and DiabloG like this.
  21. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

it's all opinion of course, but i would have to say "HECK NO" to that....those are both strong albums....Test For Echo thru Clockwork Angels is my 2nd favorite era of the band, after the debut thru Hemispheres.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  22. Scott Sheagren

Of course its all opinion,and mine is i love the debut through roll the bones.then i can skip counterparts,test for echo,vapor trails but love snakes and arrows and Clockwork Angels.Clockwork angels was such a perfect album to go out on.

CybrKhatru and Thoughtships like this.
  23. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

I don't "skip" those 3 you mention, but my appraisal of their discography pretty much matches yours.

24. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i would actually add Counterparts in with my 2nd favorite era of the band as well, lol

glad you and i can agree on Clockwork Angels though for sure !!

DiabloG and Scott Sheagren like this.
  25. Scott Sheagren

yeah i gave those 3 a lot of play time and just cannot get into them.if anything at least counterparts has a few songs i like.