Rush - Hold Your Fire

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thatguy1976, Jul 25, 2017.

1. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

It's one of their weaker albums, for me, but mainly for the 80s production. Most of the songs are excellent, as are the performances, and some of Neil's best lyrics on the album. "Tai Shan" is the only track I'm not crazy about.

Wounded Land likes this.
  2. Desolation Row

Desolation Row Forum Resident

Agree with others that "Mission" is an upper-echelon Rush song. Dig the live version from the Snakes and Arrows Live DVD, featuring Lifeson's soaring extended outro solo. I'm a huge Rush fan, but Hold Your Fire is, IMHO, their last pretty great album.

3. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I love it. I'm not sure what my Rush album ranking would be, but Hold Your Fire would definitely be in my top 10. I also love Presto.

4. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

It has some songs I really like, but taken as a whole it's my least favorite Rush album from my most favorite Rush decade. I even rate 1991's "Roll the Bones" above it.

Purple and Stormrider77 like this.
  5. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

While I really love the song "Time Stand Still", the rest of the album is worthy of repeated listening.

6. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Great album. Love the mix, love the sequence. "Mission" is one of my songs.

moodyxadi and supernaut like this.
  7. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Bought the cassette on release day, and was very dissapointed. Time Stand Still is a great song, but I didn't care for anything else. I much preferred Presto and Roll the Bones when they came out. I should give Hold Your Fire a fresh listen and see if my mind changes.

Warrel Dane likes this.
  8. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

I love this album, 'Time Stand Still' is a beautiful song, although I can't stand that treble sound either. Much prefer Terry Brown's production.

9. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Love the album, what takes away from it is the horrible sound recording. What were they thinking? I'll admit I never heard the vinyl release, but someone should be lined up and shot for the lack of sound quality on the CD. Bright and hard. What fool mastered it? Did they not listen to Moving Pictures? Now that's a recording of merit, especially the RL vinyl pressing.

c-eling likes this.
  10. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Agreed, not the nicest sounding. The US DMM cut mirrors the EQ, which would kind of make sense as they were released simultaneously.
    Some have remarked the latest Sean remaster is an improvement. I still haven't picked it up yet

11. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

My problem with the production is not that it sounds too 80s (FWIW, I love 80s production :hide:). To me, it sounds somewhat closed-in and "cardboardy" compared to the previous albums. That's the best way I can describe it. The Sector 3 remaster just makes this problem more apparent. While I do agree that HYF is pretty bright, it's not razor sharp like Presto and Roll the Bones are (and I happen to like those albums).

carlwm and Purple like this.
  12. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

I love that, "cardboardy" - wonderful description. :laugh:

13. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

I agree with the sentiment here 100%, although your highs are in different places than mine :)

Rush started off in a weird direction with their songwriting here, and although they would have some more even efforts (Counterparts, Clockwork Angels, Roll the Bones, Vapor Trails) and some less even efforts (Test for Echo, Snakes and Arrows), they never again put out a record where every single song was a gem.

In retrospect, they were apparently REALLY close to breaking up at this point. Thanks to the long break afforded by "A Show of Hands" and getting a new producer, that didn't happen......

14. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

.....which still holds up today, by the way. I've never understood the slagging-off the PW gets. Second only to "Moving Pictures," IMO. Seeing so much of PW revived live on the Clockwork Angels tour was a dream come true for me.

VH3FAN, Bongo B, Purple and 6 others like this.
  15. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

One of the first CDs I ever bought/heard.

16. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Forum Resident

One of those albums that I listened to so often during the initial period of it's release (Fall 1987) that it always takes me back to that time frame when I hear it. Time Stand Still is in the group of "classic rock" songs that I never get tired of hearing.

Sevoflurane likes this.
  17. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

One of the things I like about "Time Stand Still" is that you can focus on any of the individual components of the song and they are all brilliant; lyrics, very tasteful guitar, classic Geddy Lee elastic bassline and a drum part that makes me think Neil Peart has had a couple of extra arms grafted on, but it all meshed together into a great song.

supernaut, Ron Mexico and walrus like this.
  18. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

This album was released a few days after my son was born, so has great memories connected to it and is pretty high on my Rush list. I love all four mid-80's albums - Signals through HYF.

Love the Vai/Holdsworth-influenced solo on "Open Secrets".

They did a great job of breaking key eras up through the timing of live albums, at least up through Different Stages.

19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I feel like I saw an interview where even Peart admits "Tai Shan" was pretty bad.

supernaut and DrBeatle like this.
  20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I enjoyed reading your appreciation of Power Windows. For me, it only has one good song "Marathon." I think all the other songs are bad. Rush's absolute worst album for me. When I first heard it, I thought they were finished because everyone would hate the album. I'm glad others enjoyed it so Rush was able to continue.

21. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

We too often think of the technical aspects of music but for me this album is about the time period. This was one of the best times of my life and this album brings me back there. My friends and I saw probably 10 of the shows on this tour including the 2 in March of 1989 at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto. Wonderful memories. We even tracked down the studio out in the country where they recorded the album. I still have the pictures of us trespassing then getting thrown off the property. I love this album for those memories.

22. AleixST

AleixST Forum Resident

Amazing record! Does anyone know if the japanese CD differs a lot from other more common pressings? (remasters aside)

23. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I'm with you on Presto, but not HYF.

JulesRules likes this.
  24. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

This album and Test For Echo are probably the Rush albums I listen to the least, not that they are bad though!

But in the case of Hold Your Fire it just isn't as attention grabbing to me. I feel like especially after the really solid album that is Power Windows they doubled down on the keyboards and took it one album too far

Presto still had some keyboards and whatnot but I listen to that and Roll The Bones a lot more frequently than Hold Your Fire.

25. zen

zen Senior Member

Essential.

Bananas&blow and ironbutterfly like this.