Rush - Hold Your Fire

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thatguy1976, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Watermark= no sale for me. I have the AFTK anniversary CD. I will have a listen. Any reports as to where the watermarking has been most audible?

DiabloG and JediJoker like this.
  2. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

Yes he does.

"Even Rush themselves (bassist/vocalist Geddy Lee, guitarist Alex Lifeson, drummer Neil Peart) have some major issues with Hold Your Fire, at least looking in hindsight. In 2009, the ever-candid Lee remarked to Blender magazine, 'You're supposed to be crappy when you make your first three or four records. But even in our middle period, we did this song called 'Tai Shan,' using a poem Peart wrote about climbing a mountain in China, and when I listen to that, it's like 'Bzzt.' Error. We should have known better.'"

30 Years Ago: Rush Explore More New Territory on 'Hold Your Fire'

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  3. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Since it was mentioned earlier, here are the mix differences on the Sector version of Hold Your Fire, from a different thread here at SHF:

Force Ten
    "Rising falling at force ten" channels reversed. Doesn't pan as wide.
    Solo guitar at 1 Min 57 Sec channels reversed

Time Stand Still
    Two Simmons pad hits at 1 Min 38 Sec (like he plays it live)

Second Nature
    Swirling keyboard 46 Sec and 2 Min 6 Sec channels reversed
    Swirly thing at 3 Min 40 Sec channels reversed
    Swirly thing at 4 Min 13 Sec channels reversed

Mission
    Added strings on second chorus

Turn The Page
    Geddy's voice pans during chorus

Tai Shan
    Added wind chimes during intro

High Water
    "Elephant" guitar sound at 4 Min 37 Sec

And for what it's worth, there's also an added 3-note keyboard part at the end of "Mystic Rhythms" on Power Windows.

4. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

What exactly is watermarking and how does it affect the sound?

5. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I bought it on vinyl on import-out in America before here-I didn't even know they had a new album due-I had went from mega fan to a guy listening to a lot of other stuff....and it didn't sound great -too long for single vinyl.

It lacked energy and I never really got into it-probably the marker for me despite previous missteps where they fell off a cliff-I'm not sure there's a song on the record I would put up with their best.

I do think time has been kinder to the record thought I hear a subtle decent record if I listen now some interesting grown up observations but musically it's a bit of a cul de sac with none of those moments where they seemed to be really stretching themselves.

6. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

It does affect the whole album, but it's more noticeable during certain passages, especially when cranked.
    You can read more about it in this thread.

7. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Eh, him not liking 1 of the 10 songs doesn't mean he doesn't like the album as a whole.

8. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

If I'm not mistaken, the tour opened that year in Halifax after a petition to get them to come there.

As "pop" as it might sound initially, there is some sick musicianship on that record. It's just very subtle and not immediately noticeable.

9. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Hold your fire on cd

Wg original it' s good a little thin in the bass
    Remaster 96 louder but not that it is hurting your ears
    SONY 328p Disc Rush Hold Your Fire. This is my preferred version.
    Sector box it's getting louder
    SHM should be the same as the 328p but i don't like it as much as the 328p
    It has a more cold digital sound in comparison with the 328p.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  10. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Got this spinning now. Although big 80's synth orientated it's not a bad album. Got Fire the day it was released in 1987.

A good album that has aged well even its synth sound draws my interest 30+ years later.

ironbutterfly and Wounded Land like this.
  11. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Very good LP I enjoy it very much I need a new copy on vinyl my old one does not play well looks like their is a slight warp (never lend albums out), going to get the new reissue I think they are decent, I have Roll The Bones on the way which is on 200 gram vinyl.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  12. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I just bought the QRP pressed reissue of HYF sealed. When I opened inside was nothing but a DL card. Did this album not have an inner sleeve or lyric sheet ?

13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

This was the first rush album i bought. I cant remember why, but i didnt like it.
    It took me ten years to buy another rush album, that was moving pictures.. chalk and cheese.
    I now have and enjoy 2112, moving pictures, signals and farewell to kings.
    Perhaps i could revisit the album, but it was certainly the wrong first listen.

14. George Co-Stanza

Hold You Fire would be a rough first Rush album for anyone. Not only is in drenched in synths, but it's not as warm-sounding and lush as Power Windows. It's kind of the opposite. It's loud with those countless crescendos that have major bite and it's a very treble-y record. I still like it a lot, though, as most of the songs are keepers, and Mission is a top 10 Rush tune for me, but it's definitely not one I would recommend a new fan to jump into right away.

15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The old 87 did, minus the DL card :winkgrin:

Opeth likes this.
  16. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

So the QRP is supposed to or not ? :)

EDIT: looked here and I guess the QRP maybe didn't ? No biggy was just wondering !
    I might email QRP see what they say. See comments on discogs here
    Rush - Hold Your Fire

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    c-eling likes this.
  17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I havent bought it yet, but i quite liked what i heard of power windows.

18. George Co-Stanza

Power Windows might be my favorite Rush record. Sure, it's hard to say that it is better than the records from 1976-1981, but Power Windows is the Rush album I listen to the most...by a wide distance.

Purple, Bongo B, Thorpy and 6 others like this.
  19. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Wow, kind of a PIA oversight, geesh. Hopefully they'll mail you out one!

Opeth likes this.
  20. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Me too. It took me a while to get past the meme that Rush went downhill once the synths became more prominent. I was a child of the ā€˜90s, and stuff that sounded like the ā€˜80s was verboten.

But it really is brilliant, both the writing and the playing. Iā€™m always glad to find someone else who shares the love!

21. Mike Riding

Mike Riding Forum Resident

Apparently they were missing in the US and Canadian pressings:-

Hold Your Fire | Rush.com

chalkpie likes this.
  22. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Hold Your Fire is the only studio album of theirs that I don't own. I remember when it was new and one of my friends had it, but I wasn't that impressed by what I heard. I've since owned a copy of the Show of Hands DVD and as it does feature numbers like Mission, Turn the Page, Force Ten and Time Stand Still, and they come across nicely, I'll most likely pick it up just to round out the collection. It's interesting, though that out of the "synth" era of their album's run(Signals thru Fire), I used to love Power Windows and find that one of lesser value nowadays. I really like Grace Under Pressure better, although Signals is their best from that time period, in my opinion.

23. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Just emailed them to get my lyric sheet thank you, HYF is an underrated gem IMO.

chalkpie likes this.
  24. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

HYF has as many good as bad songs like most Rush albums and it's their sleekest synth work which always seems to bother some Rush fans.

25. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Time Stand Still is worth it alone.

chalkpie and Terrapin Station like this.