Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I prefer the Magees by far and away, and I have not been bothered by the watermarking enough to change my opinion on that one

2. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I loooooove the Magee Atlantic albums (no watermarking), and my love for the one Magee Mercury album I have (Fly By Night) is only slightly diminished by the artifacts of the watermark.

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  3. Frost15

Frost15 Well-Known Member

To be sincere I haven't noticed it, so it must not be really bad in MP. Which song of MP is the best to spot the "watermark effect"?

4. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

I hear it in the first few bars of Tom Sawyer. Listen for the warbled reverb trail when Neil accents on the hihat right before the vocal entrance.

DiabloG and JediJoker like this.
  5. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Think I remember reading that it's audible right at the start of Tom Sawyer, especially the drum hits (I can't hear it myself).

6. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I only hear it a bit on Power Windows when I listen for it. Blends in with the eighties production :) The marking only seems to bother a few members here. It doesn't spoil the 2015 series for me.

7. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

It's a messed up thing to do though, expecting people to pay high prices for these hi-res ''audiophile'' downloads and then botching them by putting this crap on.

8. JediJoker

Agreed. It's one thing to do it to free digital streams and broadcasts to prevent piracy, but if the customer is paying—especially for a hi-res download or any kind of physical disc—an audible watermark is unacceptable.

ytserush, jamesc, Frost15 and 6 others like this.
  9. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Totally agree, and I am not sure what the point of it is? It isn't like it will deter pirating, and not to mention they will lose potential sales of the people who would have bought it but didn't because of the watermarking.

10. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

The watermarking is the one reason why I'm not bothering to buy any more of the hi-res remasters. I rarely play vinyl these days (mainly due to laziness and lack of space to hook up my TT), so unless the rest of the Mercury remasters somehow get released on CD, I'm pretty much done with the series. With that said, I'm still enjoying the Atlantic hi-res remasters. I've got all of 'em except for Presto, which I haven't picked up because I own an original vinyl pressing.

ytserush, JediJoker and latheofheaven like this.
  11. Has the label ever confirmed the watermarking? It seems like such an odd thing to have done,

latheofheaven likes this.
  12. JediJoker

Well, we're onto #2 on CD now with the forthcoming 40th Anniversary edition of A Farewell To Kings, joining 2112 from last year.
    I doubt Universal will ever cop to it. The best hope is in new management replacing the old fogies who don't understand their own market anymore.

ytserush, Frost15 and latheofheaven like this.
  13. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

[​IMG]

JediJoker likes this.
  14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Do you have the 24/48 version or the 24/192 version that was briefly available? I'd have to check mine.

15. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Is the watermarking present on the 2015 vinyl?

16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

No, it is a digital process added after mastering is completed. Sean Magee cut the LPs himself, there was no way for the label to add watermarking.

17. driverdrummer

Is it on the accompanying download included with the vinyl?

18. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

The accompanying downloads for the Universal records (Rush through Show of Hands) are not the same Sean Magee mastering, and as far as I know do now have watermarking. Some of them (all of them?) are needledrops. More information on that upthread.

The accompanying downloads for the Warner releases (Presto through Snaked & Arrows) are not watermarked.

19. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I remember they tried to watermark CDs shortly after they were released but the outcry was enough to put an end to it. I don't think the masses would even care these days though. They don't seem to mind putting always listening microphones in their bedrooms and door locks that can be opened by a huge corporation so why would this bother them?

20. Frost15

Frost15 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the fast anwer. I will have to check that out today. In any case I completely agree with what was exposed in this thread regarding the watermarking, it's unacceptable. Now I'm afraid to buy hi-res music again, because even if I am unable to appreciate the mess I cannot condone that practice, not in this life.

21. driverdrummer

Great!!

22. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

I have the 24/48 version.

23. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

SoundStageDirect had the 2015 Grace Under Pressure LP for $4.99 on closeout today. I bought one to help get my cart over $50 for the free shipping. I was going to post the link, but it appears they are all gone now. :shake:

JediJoker and latheofheaven like this.
  24. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Wow, thanks for the thought Bro! :righton:

25. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

that’s what happens when you rewind a tape and store it instead of fast forwarding it before storing it