Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Not a lot of info out there on this one. I did read a few Amazon reviews and it sounded like people were very pleased with the vinyl. It would be nice if someone else who owns it could chime in on here. Based on the consistency of the entire series I would think this would have also been done with the same care. The original does sound fantastic so not sure how much it could really be improved. You can get it for around $15 though, which for 2 180g records is a pretty sweet deal.

latheofheaven likes this.
  2. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Any comment on The Show of Hands vinyl?

3. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Gotta be honest...I haven't listened to it yet!

4. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

The reissued vinyl sounds very good to my ears. It's warmer, more detailed, and has better soundstaging/imaging than the original CD and cassette (though these versions also sound nice). Big improvement over the 1997 and Sector remasters too. I don't have an original vinyl pressing to compare it to, though I imagine the reissue would hold up fairly well against it. I need to get the rest of the reissues since some of my originals aren't in great shape. I also have all of the Atlantic albums sans Presto (got an original pressing for that one) and I'm perfectly happy with them.

johnny q and Jam757 like this.
  5. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks, I'll probably pick this up. I wonder why it's priced so cheaply, must not have been a big seller. The OP does indeed sound sweet so I'll bet they are very comparable.

DiabloG likes this.
  6. Sci-Fi Kid

Sci-Fi Kid Forum Resident

Uncle Halsey, I enjoy Steven Wilson's work, and wasn't aware 'til now that the 2017 AFTK 5.1 mix was him. But with original vinyl & CD, as well as the 2015 hi-res download & bluray, is it really worth the $100 and the storage space just for me to get the 2017 5.1 mix?

If any Rush fans out there that don't have bluray capabilities want to recoup 1/3 of their Super Deluxe Set to take it of their hands, please feel free to send me a message!

7. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I finally grabbed the ReDISCovered box of the first album, since Amazon had such a good price. I still have the GK mastered copy that I got for Christmas when I was 10 years old (still in great shape too!). Most of my vinyl is in temporary storage, so I can’t compare. But damn, Sean Magee did a great job with this one. My vinyl is one of the quietest records that I’ve bought recently too. Recommended.

8. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

IMO, AFTK box is worth it. But I am a sucker for thoughtful top shelf packaging, combined with stellar treats like the 5.1, Hugh Syme prints, and, of course, the ring!

I do wish they would offer the 5.1 as a stand alone purchase. It will hopefully happen.

oneway23, Sci-Fi Kid and Plan9 like this.
  9. DiabloG

A while back, I said that I had some trouble hearing artifacts from the watermarking on the 24/96 Caress of Steel download. I gave Fountain of Lamneth a listen earlier today and found that you can faintly hear the artifacts Didacts and Narpets if you focus enough. Like with Mystic Rhythms on the Power Windows download, I'm hearing some swishiness in the reverb of the drums. I listened to this section on the Anthem and Atomic CD's afterwards and the swishiness wasn't there.

ytserush, Plan9 and JediJoker like this.
  10. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

I see some high res mastering dates of 2017 on hdtracks.co.uk. What are these?

11. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

You know... I don't think you can hear the 'swishiness' on the vinyl either :D

(heh heh... sorry, couldn't resist :pleased:)

12. DiabloG

Got the Grace Under Pressure and Signals reissues coming in the mail soon. They were used, but for $8 a pop, I just had to snag 'em. I'm wondering how Signals will fare against my Hauppage pressing.

13. latheofheaven

I have the P/G album and it does sound better than my US original. The original sounds rather thin and bright. This is one of the few cases that I've directly heard anyway where the remaster was indeed an improvement. Also, I had originally sent it back, but I believe the Presto remaster was better than the 1st US that I had and have subsequently sold. The original Presto also sounded surprisingly thin by comparison.

14. DiabloG

Never mind about Signals. The seller was out of stock, so GUP is all I'm getting.

15. latheofheaven

Well, FWIW, there are numerous 1st US pressings (and some Canadian ones) of Signals that come from several pressing plants, but I THINK are all mastered by the great Robert Ludwig. I guess it slipped my mind, but when I listened to my US pressing of Signals, I forgot to check which exact pressing it was, but it sounded REALLY good! I checked just about all of them on Discogs, and you can get just about every 1st US pressing pressed at any of the pressing plants (your choice :)) in NM condition shipped for about $14-$20. So, in my lowly and wretched opinion, I would really suggest that you just get a nice NM 1st US or Canadian pressing since at least the one I have sounds very good. MUCH better, to me anyway, than many of the newer remasters (more natural, less compressed, fuller sound spectrum, more dimensional and natural soundstage, etc...)

I was just going to add that it sounded FAR better than both of the original US pressings of P/G and Presto.

DiabloG likes this.
  16. Here you can get an idea of how I experience it at home:

17. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I agree that the OP of Signals sounds great. I'll have to A/B my original Grace Under Pressure versus the reissue as I always thought the original sounded fantastic and not thin at all. My original German Presto also sounds incredible and any thinness in that sound is from the original mix with depleted bass. I would like to hear the reissue though.

18. latheofheaven

Could be just the particular pressing of P/G that I have that sounded kind of blah... Like good ol' Tom Port says, every individual pressing can sound different :)

I would very much like to hear what you think when you compare your original with the reissue!

19. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

For me, the new reissue of P/G is hands-down the best it's ever sounded, and that's based on me hearing my original US and an 80's cd.

DiabloG and latheofheaven like this.
  20. latheofheaven

Yeah, I think I remember you mentioning this earlier in the thread where you were quite impressed with this remaster. I THINK it was you who said that you felt that this album was the best improvement of all the remasters you had heard. I certainly agree with you in my comparison with the original US that I have.

21. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Yeah I'm sure that was me. Mind you, all of the remasters are great, I just think that P/G might have been the first album to best the original pressing.

I have a preference for darker sounding mastering, so I really like the new Permanent Waves and Signals remasters, but P/G is the first one where I knew it wasn't just a matter of preference. There isn't much bass on the original pressing despite there being lots of bass pedals on the album, so I think this new one is the first remaster to correct that while avoiding a smiley-faced eq.

ad180, DiabloG and latheofheaven like this.
  22. DiabloG

Nice. Now I'm really looking forward to getting the reissue. Since my original isn't in great shape to begin with, I guess that means the new version would win by default. :)

23. latheofheaven

Yep... [​IMG]

24. DiabloG

Never mind again. This time the same seller had Signals in stock for $6 and it just shipped today.

25. Deckard916

Deckard916 Member

New to the forums, does anyone know if /when the Magee remasters for the Atlantic years will be released for digital download ie. HDtracks?