Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Unless you are trying to get the remastered vinyl from their later days. :D Impossible to find unless you want to mortgage your house.

rcsrich likes this.
  2. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

It is kinda dumb. And to think I just bought most of them for the hi-res downloads... ;)

3. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Oh, wow! I didn't realize they had disappeared like that! Did that happen before the COVID shutdown? I expect there is a bit of a backlog at pressing plants right now and new releases will no doubt take priority, but maybe they will get repressed. I notice that the whole Atlantic series is listed as "Backordered" at Acoustic Sounds, as opposed to "Sold Out" or just removed, so that's some hope. (And as QRP pressed them, one would think they would encourage a repress if they saw demand for them.)

I have most of these but you have reminded me that I still haven't picked up Snakes And Arrows. (Also Clockwork Angels, but that wasn't part of this series, I don't think.) If I can't find one elsewhere, maybe I'll put in an order with AS and hope for a repress.

I guess you could make some money if you don't care about the vinyl. :)

rcsrich likes this.
  4. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I'd probably end up regretting it if I did sell the vinyl.

johnny q likes this.
  5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Wow, I didn't see the prices of those. I have an original EU pressing of Roll The Bones, so I didn't buy the reissue. Now I regret it, because it's the only LP I didn't buy!

rcsrich likes this.
  6. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I bought a copy of Hold Your Fire last week on vinyl and it didn’t come with the lyric insert still. I dropped them an email, not expecting much but thought it was worth a shot, and one is in the post already to me! That’s excellent product and customer service. 4/5 yrs after releasing the record they’re still rectifying their omission. Great service too, quick, friendly and efficient.

JulesRules and ad180 like this.
  7. HoldYourFireAl

HoldYourFireAl Forum Resident

The Sean Magee Remasters: Does anyone know if these are available to purchase at a download site?

8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

They're on Qobuz. Just avoid those dated either 2011 or 2013 which are the previous remasters.

9. HoldYourFireAl

Looking for Presto & they only have the 2013 version.

10. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

They appear to be available on HDTracks and 7Digital as well with the same caveats @Plan9 mentioned.

Plan9 likes this.
  11. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I believe the Magee remaster of Presto and RTB were 24/48, so if it's 96 or 192kHz, that ain't it. Correct me if I'm wrong about that @Plan9... it's been awhile.

Plan9 likes this.
  12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

You're correct, from Signals to Test For Echo, they have only been released in 24/48 resolution. Then Snakes & Arrows and Feedback are 24/96.
    Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels unfortunately haven't been remastered by Sean Magee.

rcsrich likes this.
  13. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Hmm... I've checked out Qobuz, HDTracks and 7digital and don't see a 24/48 Presto... the OP may be out of luck. :rolleyes:

14. HoldYourFireAl

On HDTracks for Presto: RELEASED 2013-05-14. That wouldn't be the Sean Magee version.

15. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

The Sean Magee master of Presto is only available from the digital download card in the vinyl edition. All the post-Mercury albums (beginning with Presto) are only available there.

16. HoldYourFireAl

That's disappointing. Thanks!

17. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Correct

18. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

At this point, they really need to make them available separately. The vinyl is already OOP, right? So there's currently no way to (legally) get the hi-res versions I guess.

JulesRules, oneway23 and JediJoker like this.
  19. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

This version might be the Kevin Grey remaster for Audio Fidelity SACD if the year is 2014. EDIT: Says 2013 in the quote, so likely the VanDette remaster.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    JediJoker and rcsrich like this.
  20. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

All hi-res versions available for download and that were released before 2015 are the Van Dette remasters afaik (possibly with the exception of 2112 Deluxe if that was released prior to 2013). The only ones of those I think are worthy of purchase are Vapor Trails (original mix) and Snakes & Arrows (on par with but a bit different than the original CD and especially the Sean Magee remaster).

The ones from 2015 and those that came with the vinyl reissues are all Sean Magee remasters, most of them sounding good and worth buying. The Mercury era Magee remasters are available in either 24/96 or 24/192 (Rush - Permanent Waves) or in 24/48 (Moving Pictures - A Show of Hands). To confuse matters slightly more the Magee remaster of Moving Pictures was/is available in 24/96 and 24/192 until someone probably complained that the mixing of the album had been done in redbook or possibly 16/48.

All hi-res Van Dette remasters are in 24/96.

Unfortunately Magee never did Vapor Trails or Clockwork Angels.

On a side note, all the Atlantic stuff remastered by Magee is not in 24/48 (as someone stated above). Both Counterparts and Test for Echo are in 24/192, Snakes & Arrows in 24/96.

21. HoldYourFireAl

Cool, but how can I get them?

22. At what point in the catalog : from Rush .... onward (180g or 200g LP reissues) did the download codes go from MP4 to high res?

23. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

From Presto up until and including Snakes & Arrows (excluding Vapor Trails). Unfortunately none of them are available separately.

24. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

The LPs are no longer available, unless you happen upon a new copy of an LP, or find a used copy with an unused download code.

25. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

...or track down one of those "unicorns" that was only interested in the vinyl and never used the download code.