Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I didn't notice any dishing at all, and Xanadu was so quiet I half expected to see a unicorn walking through my backyard as it played.

There's a BIT of noise in some quiet parts of Cygnus... I wouldn't have noticed except the rest of the record up to that point had been SO quiet. I honestly don't think it's worth returning though... A very minor nuisance in an otherwise fantastic listen.

robtodd and marblesmike like this.
  2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That sharp cutoff is disappointing to see. The mastering can still be great, but with what they charge for hi-rez files, that's just not right.

3. MoveAlongHome

MoveAlongHome Well-Known Member

Just ordered my copy of a farewell to kings. yay. motherf*ckin XANADU

tspit74 likes this.
  4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Wanna trade?

5. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

Just to clarify then, does the AFTK Blu-Ray Audio Disc present the new stereo remaster or is it identical to that included in the 'Sector' box?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can advise.

6. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

Seems that all of the hoopla about QRP pressings is just that, no?! :hide:

Edit: The chances of getting utterly perfect pressings is fairly slim imo. The deck/arm/cart combo also plays a huge role in how much surface noise and/or ticks & pops one might hear. Previously noisy lp`s were much, much quieter when I went from MM to MC and then even less so the more I moved up the MC ladder.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    marblesmike likes this.
  7. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I don't have any of the Blu-rays, but I've been following this thread and it was reported earlier on that the Fly By Night Blu-ray featured the same masters as found on the Sector 1 DVD, which was disappointing. Considering that the only titles being released on Blu-ray are Fly By Night, Farewell To Kings and Signals, which are the same three that were on DVD in the Sector boxes; and considering that Fly By Night has already been reported as being the same master on both DVD and Blu, it's safe to assume that Farewell and Signals will also be the Sector versions.

Zephead2112 likes this.
  8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, so far all the Blu-Rays have been just "clones" of the Sectors DVD-As.

Zephead2112 likes this.
  9. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

This is especially weird since this was originally an analog recording and mix. I know digital was introduced into chain starting with Moving Pictures but not this far back. Plus, my understanding was that Rush archived all their masters to 24/192 several years ago. In fact, Andy VanDette mentioned that for the Sectors versions, he had to master Grace Under Pressure from the 24/192 archive copy because the analog tape was not usable. You'd think if the same were the case for AFTK, they'd do the hires from the hires archive!

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yeah, it is pretty weird. I guess if someone asks Pono what is going on with that, we may get an answer.

11. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Cool - that's what I thought. Glad to know I am not hearing things.

Unfortunately like a few others here, my copy is severely dish warped - so much so, you can barely see the spindle when the "dome" side is up. I had the same issue with 2112 and it took me three attempts to get an acceptable copy.

12. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Has anyone tried contacting Universal regarding the dish warped copies? My 2112 is the first one where I really noticed it to any great extent. Side 1 has a big hump in the middle and side 2 has the edge riding about 1/4" above the platter. At least it's consistent all the way around but so much for solid contact with the platter!

I'm wondering if Universal has something like Dr. Rhino. I recall when there were issues with the Sector discs (drop-outs on FBN, wrong mix on AFTK), I was able to get replacement copies. I must dig out the old e-mails from back then.

13. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Are those of you with split seams and/or dish warps getting yours from Amazon? It could be a case where one wholesale supplier had a stack of these albums stored improperly thus warping the copies involved.

I bought mine from a local store and not only was there no seam splitting, it also wasn't warped.

bodicus likes this.
  14. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

No vinyl copies have been delivered to any of the shops in downtown Toronto,
    the band's hometown. I guess we're supposed to all own original copies!
    I went to 5 stores yesterday, nobody knew why they didn't get copies,
    just that it's "on order". I should have bought one on-line.

15. marblesmike

Dude, relax, it has nothing to do with being in Canada or the band's hometown or whatever. I live in a huge city and had to call 4 places to find one that got a copy. It might have something to do with it having been RSD last weekend so stores might have focused filling those needs, not to mention a lot of pressing plants are backlogged because of higher demand for vinyl (again, especially with RSD being last weekend).

ad180 likes this.
  16. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

dude. kidding about Toronto being any different because Rush is from here.

In the past, my local stores got the rest of the re-issues on the release date, and the same 200 gram
    pressings from Quality that everyone else gets in the USA and ordering on-line.
    The stores here all stock the Rush albums, they have sections full of the other titles,
    and most have featured displays of the re-issues, it just a case of A Farewell to Kings
    not showing up, they all have it on order.

Clearly the records exist, so it's not a case of the plants being backed up, it's got to be a case
    of the Canadian distributor dropping the ball, not getting them in or out of the warehouse.
    It could be they were too busy because of RSD, but you could fire a cannon in my local stores this week.

17. marblesmike

It could be that the plants are backed up and only were able to do one initial quick pressing of the title by release date. This happened with the latest SW album; unless preorded far in advance, all vinyl copies on Amazon were backordered until two weeks after release, and only one store out of about ten in my area had the LP in stock. It happens.

18. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

I believe this to be the case. I get all of mine from Acoustic sounds and they have all been perfect. As a matter of fact, I've only had to return one of the last 25 that I've ordered from there and that was because of surface damage that was clearly pressing damage. Amazon could possibly be to blame, IMO.

19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

My domed 2112's and AFTK - all from Amazon.

20. Sean MaGee just Tweeted that he spent the whole day cutting Rush. He did not say which LP's, but the next two up on the schedule are Hemispheres and Permanent Waves. Curious how much lead time there is from cutting to production to actual release.

marblesmike likes this.
  21. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

Makes sense. I never buy vinyl from a "legendary" metal record shop in Dublin as the records are piled up on top of each other behind the counter. The couple I did buy way back when were all warped to bits. He is also a rip-off and an ignorant git so I have never gone back since `88!

marblesmike likes this.
  22. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

For the record, AFTK is my first dished LP from Amazon. All others have been flat as a pancake. It's always hit and miss with vinyl - even if you never have any problems, ever, you will at some point. It was that way in the '70s when I was buying vinyl as a teen, it's that way now 40 years later.

robtodd likes this.
  23. DrownedGod

DrownedGod Forum Resident

Right, which are all part of the reasons people loved the CD...

24. He just Tweeted again with a pick of the cutting lathe said to be cutting Signals. He answered a Tweet I sent saying that he had done Permanent Waves a while ago.

ad180 likes this.
  25. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

My 2112 too 3 tries to get a good one as well...but this one was perfect right off the top.

Sorry you're having issues with this one.

johnny q likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.