Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That's the same guy who destroyed a Crosley turntable with an old lawnmower. He has a bit of an . . . unusual . . . sense of humor.

2. crimsun

crimsun Active Member

I'm including links here for the previously released (24-bit, 192 kHz from HDtracks where available) titles from this year;

Fly By Night:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...s-reissues-thread.399367/page-9#post-11768285

Caress Of Steel:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-reissues-thread.399367/page-30#post-11892405
    (RushFrance, among others, has also posted information, e.g., http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-reissues-thread.399367/page-32#post-11903226.)

2112:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-reissues-thread.399367/page-42#post-12024809

All The World's A Stage:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-reissues-thread.399367/page-44#post-12041360

HTH.

BGLeduc likes this.
  3. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I just played these samples against my original Mercury LP and I will be downloading this as soon as I find a discount code. Very listenable and you can turn it up to rocking levels. The Mercury LP sounded thin in comparison. Even though my turntable usually sounds better than the same music that has been sourced on digital, I'm going this route for convenience. I picked up the second record on digital when it came out and wasn't as impressed as this release.

Thanks again for the samples, made my decision much easier.

HD Tracks 15% code HDApril21 for new releases until 4/27

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  4. Unfortunately, it hasn't been posted to HDTracks yet.

5. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Yes I was noticing that now....

So if this release is indeed 44.1 and I have a code for 15% off ProSutdioMasters (Code is "UP" BTW)....that would be the one to get for ~$15 as there is no advantage to getting the higher rez @ 96 or 192?

Orthonormal likes this.
  6. It depends. If a 24/44.1 file was upsampled to 24/192 and the mastering work was done at 24/192, and then src was used to create 24/96 files, then conceivably the 24/192 files could sound better. How MUCH better is open to debate.

If the mastering work was done at 24/44.1, and then src was used to upsample to 24/96 and 24/192, then it shouldn't matter which one you buy.

rtrt likes this.
  7. Stvn6

Stvn6 Forum Resident

Yes, the tape issue is present on the Sectors AFTK.

8. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Thanks for explaining the possible difference

Billy Budapest likes this.
  9. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

A Farewell to Kings on SSD "awaiting repress". Sh-- or get off the pot I guess. I don't get this one. It's been on sale since before it was released and now it's "selling out". Mine's coming luckily. We are such victims of marketing it's pathetic. I know this and yet I panic when I see "awaiting repress". I know I'm being played and yet I can't stop playing the game. They win, I willingly play along and lose, again and again. Vinyl addict, guilty as charged.

10. Hey, I'm a vinyl addict too, I guess, but I don't worry about things like repressings, especially for DMM issues--the plating process to make stampers is one step process instead of a three step process, and the DMM master is copper (hard) instead of lacquer (soft), and won't get worn out anywhere near as quickly (or ever).

11. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

Why did they start with digital to begin with, AFTK should be an analog master, is it known to be worn/destroyed/unusable or something else?

12. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Around the time MFSL did "Permanent Waves" I'm sure there was talk of a lot of the master tapes being in bad condition, maybe they were quickly captured to digital?

13. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

The noise on the intro prior to the guitar coming in is NOT on the original vinyl.

Well this is strange because as I said in post #1658 the noise on my UK copy is present.

14. soka

soka Forum Resident

Got AFTK in hi-res from Qobuz yesterday.
    It's good but not great like all the previous albums in this round of remasters.
    I find it to be a little too bright and edgy, whereas the others sound very natural and open. The dynamics are fine though.

Only 12.23 euro! But then again, it's not real hi-res...:shrug:

http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/a-farewell-to-kings-rush/0060254721921

15. ClassicRockTragic

ClassicRockTragic Forum Resident

Late to the party AGAIN.

Had 2112 for two weeks and only listened to it today. Events have been conspiring against me.

Anyway... This sounds AMAZING. I had the record years ago, and in recent times the Cd. It kills the Cd I have.

It helps that it is such a good record.

Mine is flat as a tack, needs a wet clean mainly to get rid of the odd pop and static.

Couldn't be happier. I wish all new vinyl was as good as this.

cement_head likes this.
  16. That's the question. We don't know what they started with. I assume that they started with the original analog master and that somewhere along the line there was a conversion to 24/44.1 for unknown purposes.

Really, if it's a 24-bit digital file, it's still hi-res, and as for the vinyl, it sounds great, so I'm not too concerned. Just curious.

17. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident

I tried cleaning my kings vinyl and dust it off with carbon brush ect. and still same cracles and pops.. once they are there on the record. they are there forever. that's why iam replacing it...

18. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

You should replace it. I have had two copies now. Both dished, but both absolutely quiet.

19. henry babenko

yeah, I believe now, that you are either gonna get a dished one or one that has pops, so its a which one do I choose to keep...

20. henry babenko

just think how the future ones are gonna be.. dished and cracks pops. meaning, the hemispheres and waves pictures and signals ones...

21. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

That's an easy choice. Keep the dished copy.

Static Discharge likes this.
  22. vanye

vanye Forum Resident

Or even better: Go digital! :D

Speaking of which: Does anyone know when the download will be available for us poor, disadvantaged Europeans?

DiabloG and sound chaser like this.
  23. mitchcortes

mitchcortes Forum Resident

24. vanye

vanye Forum Resident

Hm, available in the Netherlands but not in Germany. Truly, the paths of the music industry be convoluted and incomprehensible sometimes! Where is all that vaunted European spirit? Oh well, I'll just wait. Fairly certain they'll get around to it eventually.:shrug:

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  25. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I heard the All The World's A Stage 2015 vinyl tonight. It just slaughters the original US vinyl and the CD's. It sounds like you're in the front row at the concert...Well pretty close. Geddy's bass so wimpy on the other versions, yet the 2015 doesn't sound bass-boosted.

This is the first 2015 Rush Vinyl that I prefer over the originals...Not that the other 2015 vinyls were bad.

black sheriff and johnny q like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.