Rush Power Windows 25 years later, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steeler1979, Apr 27, 2010.

1. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

What lumpy gravy are you referring to?

2. john morris

I love Caress Of Steel but I don't expect anyone else to care for it.

3. I actually kind of like that one - may be my favorite of their early 6 albums or so. Not even sure why, but it's just consistently solid throughout, despite Geddy not really knowing how to sing yet.

john morris likes this.
  4. john morris

For it is the sound quality.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  5. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Crap was Big Money really that long ago?You know even longer since this thread began!

Billy Budapest likes this.
  6. john morris

Whereas Kurt never ever learned to sing. He just mumbles his way through songs.

7. It's just a sounds good / doesn't sound good to me. I kind of like how Kurt C. sang. I don't like how 70s Geddy sang. Some of the songs are good in spite of that.

As a singer, his high point may have been Presto.

8. zen

zen Senior Member

The whole wide world
    An endless universe
    Yet we keep looking through
    The eyeglass in reverse
    Don’t feed the people
    But we feed the machines

Can’t really feel
    What international means

:thumbsup:

9. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

So another decade has passed (WTF?!?!?) and I still haven’t revisited this album :laugh:

rcsrich likes this.
  10. john morris

Geddy took singing lessons in 1985. He stopped singing super high by 1982. Kurt and Geddy are completely different. Kurt Mumbled. Geddy never mumbled. The 1975 -1981 is considered by all to be Rush's finest hour.

11. All? Nope.

2141 and ytserush like this.
  12. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Set your alarm for 2030 and then get back to us.

:)

curbach likes this.
  13. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I like HYF, but have not
    clicked with PW.

14. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

I liked it but didn't love it. I love the first ten though and have played those to death and are the reason why Rush is one of my top favorite bands ever. Did not like Hold Your Fire or Presto, did like Roll the Bones and Counterparts.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  15. 905

905 Senior Member

Have this on now, I'm fond of it.
    It took maybe three listens and then it really clicked.

john morris likes this.
  16. john morris

As well as it is mixed I think HOLD YOUR FIRE needs a remix. And Presto has little or no bottom end. It needs a remix as well. Presto has good music but the mix blows chunks. Real big chunks. A bad mix with no bottom end would throw anyone off the album. Unfortunately because Presto was recorded on a Sony 3348 no remix is gonna happen. That is a 31 year old DASH tape. Wouldn't play now. Same reason why Power Windows didn't get a 5.1 mix.

905 likes this.
  17. john morris

I felt that way about Presto back in the winter of 1989. It was my first year of college and the teachers strike had just ended, I had my first girlfriend (A VIP named Jenifer) and Oliver Cromwell declared military law over England.....No dancing and no singing? And he executed King Charles for treason. And abolished the English Parliament. Our own King!........WHOOPS!
    Wrong memory. Well....some of that was 1989.

Anyway it took me a few listens myself. Great record, but it does need a remix.

ian christopher and 905 like this.
  18. john morris

Power Windows is a better album. Well most think so.

19. john morris

I heard he had taken piano lessons. Can't say much about the singing lessons. I would agree but modify it to be 1975 - 1982. If you leave it at 1981 then you leave out "Subdivisions" considered by Rush, their fans and critics to be one of Rush's best songs ever. Top 15 songs.

ian christopher likes this.
  20. I'm kind of with you on that. But it doesn't need too much more bass - just a little and Presto would be improved. I like the guitar and drum sounds on that album. They didn't really sound HUGE again until Counterparts. But then it became almost a clinical sound on Test For Echo (although bass was good). And they you get the last three, which are just muddy to my ears. I have to admit that I don't really like the sound on ANY albums done by Nick R. Like Kevin Shirley, he just hears the spacing of the sound wrong to my ears.

john morris and ian christopher like this.
  21. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I recently found an "atomic" c.d. used at a church charity shop.....i haven't listened to it yet but it's the only RUSH album I own.....i never cared for the way overplayed "TOM SAWYER" back when it was new.i need to re-visit some of the other albums though.

john morris and Echoes Myron like this.
  22. john morris

Confused. Straighten me out sir. Ahhhh...You like COUNTERPARTS. And I agree. Rush sounded all wrong on PRESTO and ROLL THE BONES. But The Cave Man did engineer and mix COUNTERPARTS which you like. Correction: You said Rush sounded big again on the album.
    Kevin has done all the Iron Maiden albums since Bruce and Adrian came back. They are good. Or are they?

Last week I heard a CD of the BRAVE NEW WORLD ALBUM. It was a different mix with no compresion. Well, none in mastering. It was amazing. I asked for a copy and was told, "No, sorry." This was a owner of a well known Toronto studio and a friend of mine. So I asked, "Where did you get this?" I got no answer.
    So maybe it is the mastering that occassionally screws up The Caveman's work. Who knows?
    I ejected the disk from the Lynn player and on the label side was written, BRAVE NEW WORLD
    MIX #9 DEMO.

23. john morris

Rush stop playing Cygnus X-1 by the Moving Puctures Tour on 1981. That is 6 years before the HYF tour so your comment is a bit odd. And Cygnus X1 was not over played. 3 tours and that was it. If you had said CLOSER TO THE HEART or TOM SAWYER that would have made sense.
    When half of your 2 hour show is your last two albums that is usually not a good thing. Rush never did that again. I love to hear new stuff. But not only new stuff.

Rush will play old stuff if it is musically challenging for them. But I got sick and tired of hearing Tom Sawyer. But that is my problem. You see I am not the only one at the show.

Funny how Jeff Lynne only plays ELO's singles or hits. No complaints about every JEFF LYNNE/ELO tour being the same songs all the time. Pink Floyd did DSOTM; and Styx did GRAND ILLUSION and PIECES OF EIGHT so why couldn't Jeff Lynne hire a orchestra and play:
    Eldorado LP
    Out Of The Blue LP

Midnight Blue (Real big in Asia)
    The Fall
    My Kuima
    Oh No Not Susan.

Nope. We get the same songs over and over again. A safe run through of popular hits/singles.. Funny how no ELO fans bitched about that.

24. john morris

I Loved those tours! But there is a big difference between the quality tracks on GRACE UNDER PRESSURE and the boring sub-standard pudding on SNAKES and ARROWS. Well, to me anyway.

25. Interesting. When I first heard Presto, I liked the sound. Show Don't Tell exploded out of my speakers and the bass was great. Roll the Bones, I liked much less, and I agree that it was kind of neutered in spots.

I don't like Caveman's work on any Iron Maiden or with Dream Theater or with Journey. He really got Journey's sound wrong. Likewise, his work with Mr. Big and Black Country Communion doesn't sound right to me even though the songs and the performances are excellent on those. Oddly, I think he gets great sound on the Joe Bonamassa albums.