Rush Power Windows 25 years later, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steeler1979, Apr 27, 2010.

1. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

WICKED!! SUPER. :goodie:

2. john morris

Oh no. You see the mastering engineer was giving you the sound the band really wanted back in 1985. But the master was ahhh F'd for vinyl. What you hear on the 1997 renasty is the way the band really wanted the album to sound.......OH PLEASE!

Nope.

They put that bright top end on every remastered 1997 CD. the idea was to get them to all have a similar top end. It is done very well. Unfortunately PW needs more top end like I need another ex-girlfriend.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  3. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I might wait to see if these will be combined into one volume somewhere down the road.

4. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Now here's something you don't see everyday, especially live. A bit tentative in some spots but the instrumental break is really tasty. Pretty cool!

john morris likes this.
  5. Ryan Bedlack

Ryan Bedlack Forum Resident

Just finished listening to it for the first time all the way through. The production style is definitely 80's Rush, but I was a lot more impressed than I thought I would be. The first side is an excellent balance of great playing and songwriting (although I find some of The Manhattan Project to be a bit clunky lyrically). The second half is more forgettable to me, but Mystic Rhythms is still one of the coolest tracks they've done imo. A product of its time - sure. But it's still a solid album today

6. john morris

LOL. Do you mean those Rancid Sector 24/192 overcompresed box sets? Or do you mean the 24/96 transfers done in 1997? It isn't a flat transfer but it isn't ahhh.....over done either. There is some nice high frequency EQ and some rounding out of the low bass. Very tastefully done. Apparently it is how they wanted it to really sound back then but the vinyl record format held them back. (Yea, right. Sure...)

The recent Permanent Waves remaster is a SUPER FLAT TRANSFER. Not even normalized. Hopefully this 2025 we will get a 40 th Anniversary release that we be a flat transfer. Unfortunately most of the kids today love overly bright and overly compressed music with The Cloud (90 - 250 hz) removed. We are in the minority.

7. john morris

Your post would make a great record review.

Ryan Bedlack likes this.
  8. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I listened to Roll The Bones and Counterparts recently, back to back. Solid albums indeed, and better than I remembered them!

I think I'm ready to finally "get" Power Windows. I keep trying... but this time I think I am ready... !!!

9. DeanoBee

DeanoBee Lifelong Music Junkie

Here I go again! I read an update to this Power Windows thread and then I fire up Power Windows for a listen :laugh:

petem1966 likes this.
  10. Ryan Bedlack

Ryan Bedlack Forum Resident

Haha thank you, I appreciate that

11. john morris

It is very good for a DDD 16/44.1 project from 1985.

12. john morris

I hear ya. But what about COUNTERPARTS?
    A very good album. I would put the golden period after this album. Unfortunately ROLL THE BONES (DDD) has been mixed badly. A good batch of songs ruined by an all digital production. Rush had 4 back to back DDD albums.

Power Windows (1985) DDD 16/44.1
    Hold Your Fire (1987) DDD 16/44.1
    Presto (1989) DDD 16/48
    Roll The Bones (1991) DDD 16/48

OK., who needs a bucket? All on either 2 × Sony DASH 3324. Or one Sony DASH 3348.

Thorpy likes this.
  13. john morris

Yea, me too!

14. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

It took me a while but I am finally appreciating this album in all of it's glory!

It really works well in the context of Signals & Grace Under Pressure. Power Windows caps off a nice "trilogy" so to speak, there is a continuity there that I hadn't really appreciated before.

Fantastic stuff!

proedros, DiabloG, petem1966 and 7 others like this.
  15. john morris

Mmmmm.....Do you mean the late 90's remaster or the 24/192 remaster of the last decade?
    The late 90's one I have is fine. They did goose the bass and highs. If you want the master get the orginal 1985 CD.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  16. john morris

You do realize that Big Money is the most popular song off of Power Windows?

17. john morris

Roll The Bones is a solid album? Really?
    Maybe, if RTB got a remix. Unfortunately RTB was recorded on Sony DASH 3348 at 16/48.
    And 30 year old 1/2 inch DASH tapes don't play. Well....Not usually.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  18. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Roll the Bones is a really good album. Yeah, the low end is lacking, but the songs are mostly there.

19. john morris

I told you to buy that $ 7 000 Krell Subwoofer. Well?!?!?

20. john morris

You took the post right out of my mouth. So true?

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  21. serj

serj Forum Resident

I'm speaking about the mid 90s Ludwig remaster. I like the recent remaster much more, although it's also far from the ideal.

22. Bob_Rush

Bob_Rush Forum Resident

And most popular song equates how to my statement? I'll stand by my comment, the 7 other songs on the album are superior to the Big Money.

Bob

ytserush and Billy_Sunday like this.
  23. john morris

Not my opinion sir. But Big Money was the first single to be released from Power Windows. It gets more air play than any other song off the album. Music is all about taste. There is no equation to figure out what song is better. We do go by the populous here.

I agree with you however. Shhhh! Don't tell anyone.

24. john morris

It could not have been the mid 1990's. Because Test For Echo was also remastered. And it was lead in 1997.

25. serj

serj Forum Resident

This horrible remaster by Ludwig came in 1997 year. I bought it a year later.. I don't understand what are you trying to prove :) If you like this cr@p, it's up to you..