Russian counterfeit CDs, a headache

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by javilu77, Jan 29, 2019.

1. moops

moops Senior Member

That's not a Raven CD that I see used at all over here, unfortunately.

The Discogs seller from Latvia has ok feedback overall. He even responded to one of the neutral comments, which I wouldn't think someone selling counterfeit CDs would normally bother to do. Compared to the positive comments, he only has a handfull of neutral.

I'd be willing to take a chance on it for the price .... :thumbsup:

2. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

In all fairness, some good points here! :shh:

beave

3. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

I'm told they use X-Ray plates.

Crimson jon and sonnyrock like this.
  4. kevimetal

kevimetal Forum Resident

5. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yep, that is the one!

If I buy it now and send it to my friend in England, do you know how can I instruct him to check if the CD is the real deal? He is not into music or CDs.

6. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I second that. I had my share of pirate CDs, and difference in packaging and artwork is huge. It is not $1000 fake Rolex, it is $10 fake Rolex so to compare.
    I still go sometimes to Russia, and shops in Russia which sell fakes rarely sell real CDs, and vice versa, as their customers are 2 complete different groups.

7. You can usually tell, but not always. This is a fake ‘Russian Bear’ who’s actually from Canada. :yikes:

[​IMG]

Ivan Koloff - Wikipedia

altaeria likes this.
  8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

My fake Sundazed NSs look pretty good to me. Maybe they’re not fakes and he happened to have tons of real ones. :cheers:

9. Dennis Metz

10. Claude

Claude Senior Member

There is also an "unofficial" Russian pressing listed on Discogs:

Stories - Stories / About Us

Given the price of the CD from the Latvian seller and the fact that it's a neighbor country to Russia, I think the chances are high that this is the one you will get. Better ask the seller first.

ispace, FillmoreGuy and Dennis Metz like this.
  11. javilu77

This post is why I love this site!
    WIll the seller know how to tell the real deal from the one in your link?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

The bet way is to ask him to make a picture of CD matrix number/writing (those are rarely copied) and compare with real one..

Defdum&blind likes this.
  13. javilu77

I did just that. Once I knew this was bootlegged in Russia my hopes went down the drain.

ispace and BeatlesBop like this.
  14. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Years ago, I bought what I thought was the 1995 edition of Powerslave by Iron Maiden with a second cd containing the b-sides from that era. When it arrived, I noticed that it was a one cd release with the b-sides tacked on at the end. Then, I noticed that that there was some Russian writing on the bottom. Even though it featured the EMI logo, I suspected that this could be a pirate release. This thread has prompted me to check out this release on discogs. Sure enough, it is listed as "Unofficial".

15. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

exactly. Any time I'm after something, regardless of where the seller is located, and especially when it comes to rare/expensive discs, I ask them to send me photos of the both the matrix and the playing surface. If they won't send a photo, I'll pass.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. javilu77

According to the discogs page, Barcode for the Australian release and the Russian counterfeit is the same: 612657024621.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2019
    Frederick Mars likes this.
  17. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Not talking about the barcode. I'm talking about the microscopic matrix number imprinted on the inner rings of CDs. This is a lot harder to fake than booklet reprints/CD faces.

Matthew Tate and crispi like this.
  18. I would like to apologise for the previous post from my friend Dimitri. The post should in no way be taken to mean that all Russian's sell their sisters and bootleg CDs. Most of them are honest hard working individuals who will not rob you blind. But the offer regarding Dimitri's sister still stands if you are interested.

showtaper likes this.
  19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'm more surprised by the ones who figure out it's fake, demand a return, and --when the seller apologizes with some made up excuse--decide they won't leave negative feedback, allowing the scammer to continue to cheat people.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  20. javilu77

Gotcha, if I get a pic I will let you know.

21. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Once again I'm yet to see any pirate CD with a full quality booklet duplicated and Raven as all reissue labels always have big rich booklets. Just ask the seller to send you pics of the booklet and you will know if it's real immediately.

Matthew Tate and delmonaco like this.
  22. Dennis Metz

The Nancy Sinatra CDs have complete booklets. I’ve also got a Jackie DeShannon RPM knockoff that’s perfect. They are also doing lovely mini sleeve CDs

punkmusick and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I know... too many fakes east of Germany. :biglaugh:

24. javilu77

As per the Discogs notes on the russian counterfeit:

High-quality factory made CD, fullpages booklet,replica from original australian release. Standart jewel case.

punkmusick, slipkid, Purple and 2 others like this.
  25. Dennis Metz

Sounds about right :cheers: