Russian counterfeit CDs, a headache

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by javilu77, Jan 29, 2019.

1. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry, just be glad I didn't say "I only listen to old farts music" :D

Rob Hughes likes this.
  2. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

2 in 1 series are pirate by default. Very popular here in the late 90's and 00's, sold for something like $2. I'm not sure they even do them anymore but I have a hard time anyone would buy such a CD and expect a legit title.

3. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

You made lots of very good points yet my best friend is exactly the kind of guy you describe as non-existant. He acquired tons of rare and OOP CD titles over the years and now sells them on ebay and discogs for highest possible price in order to finance his growing vinyl collection. I don't think he ever touched a pirate CD in his life so yes, this kind of people exist. Of course there are some suspicious sellers with dubious "sealed" titles, I don't doubt it.

delmonaco likes this.
  4. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I hope he sells them successfully, and it's good that such sellers exists. Maybe it would be a good idea a "white list" of reputable Russian CD sellers to be created in this forum, because there are lots of potential buyers here, and this could be helpful for them and for the sellers.

5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

No one does actually ! But only some DT titles had a local release, so the 2in1s were a godsend (well, I guess satansend in this case:laugh:)

6. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I have bought a few CDs(1st Edition Japan & WG) from Russian Sellers and have not had any problems(these were Titles of CDs priced appropriately for their Value/Demand, so I am spending $30-$50 on average and not looking to get a NM Condition of a Japan or WG First Edition for $15), except for one CD being Over-Graded as NM with several marks on it, but that has happened from a few Sellers from other EU Countries and one time from Japan(although, I find the Grading from Japan Sellers better overall in my limited amount of CDs bought on Discogs and Ebay so far).

I usually look at a Seller's Rating and read any Negative Comments(some are unreasonable like item was no longer available, as it could have been sold just prior to it beng removed from Discogs). If a Seller has 98% Rating or Higher with at least 100 Sales, then I feel ok buying from that Seller(unless any Negative Comments give me concern) but YMMV.

I stay away from Desired Titles of CDs listed at unusually lower prices from China though.

What amazes me is that People are Selling and Buying the Jethro Tull Book Box Sets without the Books. Should let you know there that the CDs are counterfeits(even if someone is willing to pay less for the JT Book Box Sets without the Actual Book inside). I guess that the Real Book Box Sets commanding High Prices now, have some people conned easily into thinking that they found a 'Great Price' on one of the JT Book Box Sets.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Taxman likes this.
  7. TheSeldomSeenKid

I find the Matrix hard enough to read without a magnifying glass under a bright light. Does an iPhone(or other Smart Phone) Camera or iPad Camera take Photos that show the Matrix Code on the Clear Inner Hub? Should it be captured under a particular light? I have not tried to capture one yet but will do so tonight.

8. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I own a handful of Eastern Bloc counterfeit/bootleg CDs (whatever you wanna call'em), including one of those "2-for-1" Russian combos mentioned a few posts ago, but in each case I knew what I was getting... I don't go out of my way for such things, but if it's a long OOP title I have no problem with dropping ten bucks on a decent looking phony instead of stoopid $$ for a "real" one on the secondary market.

Unfortunately there are online sellers out there who pass off such counterfeits as "original" pressings... which is not cool.

9. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Good joke! Read a subject, laughed with all the heart.
    Look at these offers on ebay:
    Pink Floyd The Early Years 12CD Set MINI LP w/OBI [NEW] | eBay
    Pink Floyd THE EARLY YEARS Complete 12CD set mini-LP sealed w/OBI Live/Remix | eBay
    10CD set PINK FLOYD Early Flights Vol 1-10 Complete 10CD mini LP (booklets) 678746523468 | eBay

Pay attention to the country of the seller - the USA, Finland (sellers from these countries do not sell a counterfeit?), pay attention on Obi (it is so accepted in Japan). Also remember - all these cd's are manufactured in Russia and each of them costs about $4. And these goods not bad are on sale.
    What you are funny!!!!

10. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

I have another Raven CD from 2007 (RVCD-250), and the hub looks exactly like on your photo (the numbers are different. of cource).

c-eling and tmtomh like this.
  11. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

I had positive experience with them (in most cases it was Hong Kong or Taiwan). However the packaging was usually so-so, and the CDs did not come from clean environment.

I think I had the best ever deal with a Chinese seller - Japanese fatboy twofer sealed for 1c (shipping was extra, of course).

Lightworker likes this.
  12. TheSeldomSeenKid

My 'Fake' Russian GF

[​IMG]

smilin ed and The Hud like this.
  13. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

It's ironic: Argentinian guy trying to buy a CD from Latvia, and the thread name is "Russian counterfeit CDs". :crazy:

14. The Pinhead

So ? How does that make his question less relevant ? You can get a russian counterfeit from virtually any country in the world. Can you read ?

Matthew Tate and tmtomh like this.
  15. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Can I read?:confused:. No, I only can write.

16. javilu77

Dude the only counterfeit we know of for the CD I was trying to buy is made in Russia and Latvia is close to Russia so my post was spot on.

The Pinhead and Rob Hughes like this.
  17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

[​IMG]

I guess the label says it all. Made in the EU

18. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

19. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I wonder if maybe it's time to wrap this thread up.

20. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Ok, 'dude'. Who are we, you and your....?

21. javilu77

I assume English is not your first language....

The Pinhead likes this.
  22. The Pinhead

The thread is perfectly valid. Why the ¨some Argentinian guy¨ followed by the:crazy: emoji ? I thought this was an international forum. Plus, the ¨guy¨ speaks the King's English ! What exactly is bothering you ? Next step I guess is reporting my post as an agression ?:rolleyes:

ism and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I never ever reported anything, and never will. Not that kind. What bothering me? Well, if you don't get it, it's too bad.

24. javilu77

Hey buddy, no disrespect intended, but you seem overly sensitive. Take it easy.

The Pinhead likes this.
  25. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Most of my Beatles bootlegs com from Latvijan sellers.

GerryO and The Pinhead like this.