Russian counterfeit CDs, a headache

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by javilu77, Jan 29, 2019.

1. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Nice............
    It really sucks though, our prez could help Putin make a killing in the tourist trade, but they keep acting like teenage boys discovering their dich.
    I work with a couple of Russian chaps and their more “American” than most Americans. And most of the young women are very attractive.
    But I’m happily married to a crazy American girl!
    :D
    Beave

2. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

How does the song from The Youngbloods go?

Come on, people now
    Smile on your brother
    Everybody get together
    Try to love one another right now

3. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

*fuzzy guitar playing intro to Territorial Pissings*:rolleyes:

The Doga, blind_melon1 and javilu77 like this.
  4. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

It's kind of funny that on a forum where people get into fights over which tape was used for a given release, people don't understand that international relations are far more difficult to manage and keeping peace in the world is a tremendously difficult enterprise.

hernan-r and Chris DeVoe like this.
  5. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

There is no money to be made in keeping peace.

6. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  7. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

I have to disagree. Many unbelievably large fortunes have been made since WWII.

8. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

There is always war. Maybe not on your territory. Fortunes have been made indeed.

Frittenköter likes this.
  9. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

That's my point. From the earliest historical records we have of the human race right up till today, there has always been war. Keeping the conflict level relatively low in an increasingly crowded world requires extraordinary efforts.

Some people make a lot of money selling weapons but there is much more money to be made in peaceful pursuits. You'll do a lot better investing in peace related companies than in the defense industries.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I didn't have any reason to check into this thread before, but a friend of mine is good friends with Taj Mahal, and she discovered that a Russian bootleg site is selling a compilation of his work and asked me to check into it. It was a company called G Records.

Anybody got any information they can share for my friend to pass along?

11. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I made search on Russian net and it is a "recording studio" in Nijni Novgorod.
    He can write them some nasty letter (contact form here GRecords Контакты ), and it may, but not necessary, work.

E.Baba, Rob Hughes and Chris DeVoe like this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

Taj's manager isn't tremendously worked up mostly because all the songs on the release are owned by the record company rather than Taj himself, but still...

I'm going to have to get my friend to send me an email with all the different domains and all the stuff, because that domain looks like a completely legit recording studio.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  13. Old Zorki II

Just because the look like totally legit studio does not mean that they cannot produce those illegal compilations.
    They have another "office" in Moscow.

14. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I purchased the 1st. Two SUPERTRAMP albums that were russian issue...both had full booklets and sound fine.....a few months later of course I found both titles on the genuine A&M LABEL....I kept both russian issues as they are unusually "deluxe"!

15. Chris DeVoe

Not to play devil's advocate, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of legitimate CD plants weren't making bootleg CDs just to keep the doors open.

Platterpus and keefer1970 like this.
  16. Brian Hoffman

Brian Hoffman Obsessive fanatic extraordinaire

I just got burned by this. Picked up Jethro Tull's "Songs from the Wood", which looked fabulous and came with a booklet and a replica LP jacket and everything. I go to add it to Discogs and it's a Russian fake. Same with a King Crimson "Earthbound" mini-LP. Fortunately the Sabbath "Technical Ecstasy" I got at the same time appears to be legit!

17. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Those CDs are genuine.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Just ask them. That's all you have to do. The counterfeit ones are usually easy to spot and since discogs stopped the sale of 'unofficial' releases, people selling them have to list them as official releases. So, no one will be offended, if asked, as i think they don't actually want to mis-sell to people. I know this because I recently enquired about the condition of a Bowie CD and the seller sent me a link to the unofficial version straight-away - saying 'it's this'.

19. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Sometimes a counterfeit is the best you can get, especially if you just want it for the music. I recently bought three Hendrix cds mid 70s. I am not a collector, but was interested in the mixes. Out of production since the mid 90s, the choice was 50 euro each for the real thing second hand or 8 euro each for one from Latvija, of which you suspect it might be a fake.

DuranS likes this.
  20. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Occam's Razor right here. Why fake an inexpensive CD?

mr.datsun likes this.
  21. javilu77

Everything we manufacture is low quality except beef. Doesn't mean it's a fake.

zongo likes this.
  22. Old Zorki II

You may not believe it, but in Russia they sell fake Argentinian beef.

zongo likes this.
  23. DuranS

DuranS Member

Well, it looks like the truth, I should say) We've got such a problem. And a palm oil, of course. That's a very debatable question.

24. javilu77

LOL, if it's an Out Of Print beef then you may settle for the fake if it's only a few Russian rubles!

zongo, Aftermath and Old Zorki II like this.
  25. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Would a counterfeit CD have this type of info in the hub?

IFPI 2D1S
    14054 *06*
    IFPI L793

Disctronics Made In The USA