Russian Doll on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by hybrid_77, Feb 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The stream starts today. With Natasha Lyonne.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

TRAILER NSFW !!!!!! Added to my watch list a few hours ago, thanks.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks!...

4. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

2 Episodes in and enjoying it immensity.

George P likes this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member

Its awesome!!!

Gonna finish up season one tomorrow.

chrischerm likes this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm in too. Haven't watched any yet, but from the trailer it looks like a Groundhog Day type thing with the girls from Orange Is The New Black!

GodShifter likes this.
  7. hybrid_77

I'm 5 episodes in and like it but have no idea where it's going. I think I'd pass on those Israeli joints should anyone ever offer me one.

ex_mixer likes this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

And that title alone is fantastic

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Watched all of it, have no idea what I watched.

hifisoup likes this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Same here. I do have a theory of sorts about what might be going on. The following isn't a spoiler, just speculation on my part after 5 eps.

I reckon it has something to do with a computer game. Nadia is a game coder and we've seen lots of scenes with her being summoned to code reviews. In one such scene, she corrects a bug during the meeting.

Alan just happens to be a game player and just happens to play the game Nadia worked on. He finds it impossible to win (and therefore unchallenging/buggy), which means the player loses/dies each time and then the reset button is pressed and the players start again from the beginning.

There was a scene at the deli where Nadia saw both Alan & the homeless guy kind of phasing in and out, which could signify a bug in the code.

The other interesting detail is the scenes with the rotting fruit. There are a few of these, but without much comment. That would seem to signify the passage of time, as if the characters inhabit the real world during all the reboots which would make the fruit 15 days old and thus moldy.

Now, I don't know how to tie all this together. If the main characters are just a simulation playing out in virtual world with buggy software, why have the fruit rotting? Maybe that's another bug?

Dunno, but it was interesting to think about it! I hope there is some resolution/hint by the end...

11. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I couldn't get through the 2 minute trailer.

12. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Natasha is absolutely fantastic in this - but after only 2 episodes I'm growing
    weary of the premise, which is odd to say the least.

carrick doone likes this.
  13. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

It is good.

Some of it is a copy of a Star Trek the Next Generation episode, and there is a character with similar personality traits to one on The Good Place, but, even as a derivative story it is entertaining enough.

14. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I'm liking it a lot. First episode immediately got me with the writing and characters, then (as some others have noted) grew wary of premise, but then as the story has developed it's gotten really good IMHO. Have two episodes left.

George P likes this.
  15. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Binged watched the entire season, ambitious and entertaining. Top notch writing and production. One of the better NETFLIX original offerings.

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It was kind of a hodge-podge of concepts. The most dominant element was taken from Groundhog Day with the frequent reboots starting with the same song playing, getting the girl/boy in the end, etc. However, it diverged a little when a second person was found to be going through the same cycle.

Them there were some cybernetic allusions to (games) programming and finally the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics or perhaps the notion of the multiverse.

But at the end of the day, I really think they wanted to do a remake of Groundhog Day but had to change it up a bit so as not to be too obvious.

Nevertheless, I really enjoyed it and the main cast was great to watch.

ex_mixer likes this.
  17. Watched the first three so far . Fun show.

Anytime they use Nilsson :tiphat:

ex_mixer likes this.
  18. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

My girlfriend and I watched the whole thing last night. It's light and engaging, and thematically it has some things in common with Groundhog Day, but also the recent Netflix series Maniac. Enjoyable overall, and Natasha Lyonne is always interesting.

19. Also the film Death Day but not as Dark.

Solaris likes this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

Agreed on all counts. I also thought of Maniac during this series. The finale was excellent!

21. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I enjoyed it - powered through all eight episodes in one sitting without any urge to take a break. Found the conclusion a little unsatisfying, though. Once we found out "what" fixes it, it still leaves the huge question of "why" that fixes it left unanswered. And unquestioned. Maybe not so much 'Groundhog Day' as 'Tru Calling', perhaps? And Natasha's character seems just a little bit too much like the one she played in 'Antibirth.'

I give it a solid A- with a B- for the ending. If they do another season and possibly delve into the ramification of the finale a bit more I'd be inclined to reassess that rating. I'll say this for it, though: it's a whole lot funnier than I would have expected when I started.

ex_mixer and johnnyyen like this.
  22. hybrid_77

23. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Love me some Nilsson... NYT on that song from Russian Doll.

SPOILIERS!!!!

Gotta Get Up,” the opening track from the late singer-songwriter Harry Nilsson’s 1971 album “Nilsson Schmilsson,” and its bright, infectious instrumentation belies melancholy, wistful lyrics about growing older.

This Is That Song From ‘Russian Doll’

Dan C likes this.
  24. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Binged the entire season last night. Not sure quite what to make of it all, just yet. But, it kept me watching even though I had no clue where they were going.

25. George P

George P Notable Member

I think im gonna rewatch the season this week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.