Rutles - All You Need Is Cash. Out of print ??

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by George Blair, Dec 23, 2022.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

2. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

You know I may possibly have the tape of this somewhere in the attic… unfortunately it would be Betamax format if found.

Bhob and longdist01 like this.
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I recorded it on cassette, when they actually 're-aired' it, late, late,late at night..

Moonbeam Skies and longdist01 like this.
  4. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

I missed it when it 1st aired because it was on past my bedtime. But I eventually got it on VHS and later on DVD, so I've seen it many times since the 80s. For some reason it was only in the last 5 years or so that I realized Stig doesn't say a single word in the entire film.

5. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

He's the "quiet Rutle" :shh:

6. georgebz1

georgebz1 Remember 1939. Stop Putin Now.

7. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

I guess Stig sings a song or two but he has nary a spoken line.

8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

9. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

This is really a sad story. After "Archaeology" came out, there was a (direct to video?) sequel, "The Rutles 2: Can't Buy Me Lunch." It's been a long time since I watched it, but I recall it being largely a rehash of the original, but I am almost certain that it included songs from "Archaeology." And it was hosted by Eric Idle. I wonder how that was worked out. The original is far better.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

"Orangutan and anaconda...
    Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse
    and even Pluto, too!"

Great show. It's sad that Idle treated Neil Innes so badly.

longdist01 and wayneklein like this.
  11. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

He’s lying! He’s ALWAYS lying!

Last week, he said the Lawrence Welk Anthropology was still in print!

12. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

Eric was my favorite for a long time, but there was a point where he stopped being funny, and coincidentally started being mean.

And that F-everything song he did…was a prime example of not being funny. No effort there. Any kid could’ve done that. Very sad.

13. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Hot off the press; I love Eric Idle's facial expressions.:D

aussievinyl and longdist01 like this.
  14. Of all the Pythons, Eric worked alone almost all of the time. I think that and his need for success similarities to John Cleese’s and Michael Palin’s (and Gilliam, Jones, etc.), I think drove much of his need to be the ‘sole’ creator of The Rutles. It’s both ironic and rather sad in a way.

the sequel to “All You Need Is Cash” just isn’t very good. It is, again, ironic, because The Rutles got their own “Anthology” way before The Beatles (though there was the Malcolm McDowell narrated”The Compleat Beatles” that came out in 1982).

I’m surprised Allen Klein didn’t figure out some way to sue the makers for his ‘portrayal’ byBelushi.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  15. Malcolm Blackmoor

Malcolm Blackmoor Forum Resident

Whatever may have gone wrong between Neil Innes and Eric Idle he remained friends with Terry Jones as I worked with them both on a tv programme originated by Neil, a very wonderful and enjoyable man to work with.

16. vince

I've heard Neil was a sweetheart...by 'both', do you mean Terry & Neil?

17. Malcolm Blackmoor

Malcolm Blackmoor Forum Resident

Yes - it was Neil's programme but Terry took part. I did the studio and location recording and also the dub, working closely with Neil, including some songs. We must have been short handed on location as I also had to turn on a water tap at a Garden Centre and drench both of them.

Quite some months after finishing the programme I happened to meet Neil at a motorway services and it was good to see him again and I'm sorry he didn't do another programme at the video facilities company where I worked.

18. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

I used to work as a client at Broadway Video in the early 2000's and I recall seeing one of the edit suites booked by Idle for a "Rutles 2" project around 2003 or so-- I never saw him while I was there which sounds like it might have been a good thing

longdist01 and MarkTheShark like this.
  19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

By the way, Barry Wom is a great drummer and a humble, likeable guy. What a devastating Rutland bouffant hairstyle(!)

[​IMG]

20. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Do you remember when Barry said: I'd like to be a hairdresser. Or two. I'd like to be two hairdressers? Barry apparently got his wish. It must have been the first case of human cloning(?)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
  21. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I agree. But my adage has always been: “If you really want it, buy it when it first is released.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have it on DVD...

23. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

It's shame what happened to Dirk. :shake: It was rock 'n roll and groupies that sent him off the deep end.

[​IMG]

longdist01 and Mister Charlie like this.
  24. vince

Did that "Punk Floyd" logo influence the real band's 'lettering' for "The Wall"????:shrug:

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  25. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

I have no idea.