RVG Legacy: Preserving the Legacy of legendary jazz recording engineer Rudy Van Gelder (Website)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 2xUeL, Oct 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher Thread Starter

Forum friends, it is with great pleasure that I introduce to you RVGLegacy.org, a website dedicated to preserving the legacy of Rudy Van Gelder. After presenting on Rudy to the Audio Engineering Society last October, I was planning several more talks when COVID hit. So I decided to put all the information I had gathered into a website that could serve as a virtual version of my talk.

Produced in association with Van Gelder Studio and Estate, RVG Legacy features dozens of never-before-seen photos from the personal collection of Rudy Van Gelder. I wrote the narrative in the spring and then built the website over the summer.

My research began about eight years ago as a troll on this forum haha! :laugh: I was young(er) and naive then. I used to get into arguments with people about mono vs. stereo, and I would try to defend Rudy when people trashed him. If anything is known for sure about this secretive man, he is quite controversial and has always been able to provoke strong emotions in people, both with his sound and his personality!

But Rudy has been a huge positive influence on me and has been an inspiration in my life. I think of him as a great American artist. I hope you enjoy exploring his world!

LINK: RVGLegacy.org

[​IMG]
    Photo credit: Francis Wolff © Mosaic Images LLC

(PS: I was concerned that starting this thread might be against forum policy as self-promotion, but Steve gave me the go-ahead. By the way, Steve has been a big help over the years in my research effort!)

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Congrats!!

Rooster_Ties, dman23, trd and 12 others like this.
  3. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Fantastic website and a fitting tribute to a great artist. Some really amazing pictures.

dman23, Greenalishi and 2xUeL like this.
  4. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Looks to be a very informative and entertaining site. Will be reading absolutely everything on it. Thanks for the heads up and thanks for all your research on RVG. Cheers!

2xUeL likes this.
  5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Great job.

2xUeL likes this.
  6. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Can't wait to dig in. Your research has consistently surprised and illuminated me.

ultron9, hvbias, 2xUeL and 1 other person like this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

The OP posted my favorite studio pic. One of the greatest photographs of a recording engineer ever. Rudy really loved jazz. If those knobs could talk!

8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Eager to dig into this great info!

2xUeL likes this.
  9. 2xUeL

PS: The photographs of forum member @btf1980 (Atane Ofiaja) are featured on countless pages on the website! Here are few of them:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. 2xUeL

The first time I saw this photo was when I caught a quick glimpse of it in the 2018 doc Beyond the Notes. For a while Cuscuna didn't know what I was talking about, then my friend found a way to stream the doc from a European website of some sort (back before it could be streamed in the U.S.), took a screenshot, then I sent that to Michael and he was like, "Oh, here it is." Haha!

Of all the rare Wolff photos of Rudy I've seen since then, this one is still my favorite. :love:

Mr Bass likes this.
  11. Devin

Devin Time's Up

I've gone through your entire site and read everything. All I can say is: Well Done!

I enjoyed it thoroughly, the photos are priceless and I look forward to your updates and further insights into Rudy's world. I salute you for taking the initiative and also for working to keep his legacy alive.

Paul Gase and 2xUeL like this.
  12. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Really well done and informative, thank you!!

2xUeL likes this.
  13. My experience of Van Gelder is limited to having bought remasters of two Jimmy Smith albums, and seeing that they were 'RVG Remasters'. Since then, If I have found a CD which is an RVG edition (even if I don't know the artist) I will buy it. Congratulations on the website and I can't wait to get stuck in and read!

GerryO and 2xUeL like this.
  14. GLouie

GLouie Forum Resident

I'm only halfway through now 2xUel - a little past Garfield the Cat.

2xUeL likes this.
  15. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Looks like a worthy passion project! One of my heroes too, a big chunk of my collection has his fingerprints on it.

2xUeL likes this.
  16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Glad I came across this. Really nice.

2xUeL likes this.
  17. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

This is a work of art! I’m a few pages in and already blown away.

2xUeL likes this.
  18. 2xUeL

Don't sleep on Garfield, Gary--he is the underpinning of my entire philosophy of audio engineering. :laugh:

19. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

This was great fun and a pleasure!

hvbias and 2xUeL like this.
  20. ajax25

ajax25 Forum Resident

Listening to some of his work this weekend, Bonnie Dobson albums on Prestige.

RVG or VAN GELDER in the dead wax

21. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

I acquired some very nicely preserved vintage classical vinyl from the 50’s and early 60’s and was surprised to learn that Rudy Van Gelder cut the lacquers of some of the Vox vinyl. Came here looking for some research on it. The sound is very nice. Thank you for such a well done resource and archive.

22. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

Wow. I have never been a huge fan of his specific sound but have a great deal of respect for his skill and recognize that he was on the cutting edge of technology. I really liked the way the site describes the characteristics of his recordings and used the sound clips to illustrate specific things. After reading that, I will listen to my RVG recordings with a new appreciation. Great job!

Echoes Myron likes this.
  23. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

VERY cool :righton:

24. Steve Hoffman

Why didn't I ask my parents for a recording studio in our living room?

1955- Legendary jazz recording engineer Rudy Van Gelder is hard at work at the controls of his new Altec 230B mixing console in the control room of his parents Hackensack, NJ home at 25 Prospect Ave. Ez29dyxVUAEDb7N.jpg

25. Steve Hoffman

I was asked, so I answer. "What is the best sounding RVG recording?"

To me, it's Miles Davis Quintet "My Funny Valentine" off of "Cookin'." Amazing sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.