Ryan Adams - "Cold Roses" vinyl reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pawnmower, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Yes -- I have the embossed version. I want to say it's original with card stock inner sleeves. It sounds great.

2. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I can only comment on Cold Roses but the bar code is the same.

3. Granadaland

Granadaland Forum Resident

Thanks for checking

4. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

Yes, I think that the Wes Garland cut of Follow the Lights sounds pretty good. At $7, though, I might get the Bellman cut just to compare. If it is better than the WG cut, I'll probably dish out to replace my other Adams records.

5. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

Someone earlier in the thread reported that Jacksonville City Nights, at least the copies that Amazon US is currently shipping, are not new CB/BG cuts. Not sure about Demolition.

6. Beatles4503

Beatles4503 Senior Member

Picked up "Gold" and "Cold Roses" today. I have at least one copy of each already.

The new "Gold" is a CB cut pressed by Pallas USA. It sounds excellent and noticeably better than my first pressing on black vinyl and my 10th anniversary silver vinyl copy. Better bass that can be easily followed, much wider soundstage, acoustic guitars sound more real and Ryan Adams' vocals are better defined and centered. The background vocals can be easily heard as well. A winner copy (and now my only copy)!

I don't know that this issue was remastered for vinyl so I can only surmise that Bellman's expertise and a better pressing plant made the difference.

Sadly, my new "Cold Roses" copy is not CB/Pallas USA and does not sound any different (or better) than my original copy with no deadwax info.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  7. You guys are making me want to pick up "Gold" ASAP.

ramdom likes this.
  8. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Same

ramdom and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  9. Beatles4503

Okay....just listened to side two after grabbing some dinner. With the way "When The Stars Go Blue" and "Nobody Girl" sound on this copy I'm convinced that this was remastered...way more instrument separation and clarity. Dynamics are much better too. The piano parts especially jump out of my speakers.

Ryan_Pretzel and Johnny Wong like this.
  10. Beatles4503

Now I'm on a mission to find a CB/Pallas cut of "Cold Roses"....

11. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Can someone provide a link to the Gold we're talking about here?

12. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

Where did you get your new copy of Cold Roses? Amazon US?

13. Beatles4503

Dave's Records in Chicago.

14. Beatles4503

Ordered a copy of CR off of Amazon and received it today. It's the CB/P.USA cut. I'm hoping that this copy sounds as good and offers as big an improvement over my other copies as the Gold CB/P.USA did.

Cassius and jumpinjulian like this.
  15. Beatles4503

Just listened to side 1 of my CB/P.USA copy of Cold Roses. The other issues I have of this are not even close. New issue sounds incredible. The slide guitar on Easy Plateau is amazing and was about 4' above my speakers sliding from side to side. You can now clearly hear the cymbals and the drummer's brushes on his snare.

Let It Ride sounds with awesome acoustic guitar and drums. The piano parts in the chorus sound like he's playing in the room.

Again, these new CB/P.USA issues sure sound like totally different masterings to my ears anyway.

16. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Definitely!

17. Welllll, based upon recommendations from this thread I ordered "Gold" from Amazon. It should arrive tomorrow. I am very stoked to hear it! Will report back when I can. (Probably should order "Cold Roses" now too, haha)

18. VeryVnl

VeryVnl Well-Known Member

Hi Johnny,

I wonder if you have received the new cut even the listed release date is the original release date? I bought a copy of Cold Roses and noticed it was dated 2017. I have noticed all the listings of Ryan Adams vinyl records are original release dates, I wonder if I would receive the old releases or new cut?

I would really like to get Follow The Lights EP, Gold and Demolition if what amazon send out now is all new cut...:)

19. Received "Gold" from Amazon today. Happy to report that it is CB pressed at Pallas USA. Unfortunately will not be able to listen for quite some time as listening area is currently under renovation.

20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I wish I had the same faith in amazon.ca. I may have to resort to amazon.com...

21. Richard Maryanski

Richard Maryanski Forum Resident

Looks like amazon.com still has some of the old press. Received my copy today and it is the embossed cover and has a Lost Highway sticker.

This is not the CB cut, correct ?

22. Paul Beatty

Paul Beatty Forum Resident

Could very well be the new CB cut, mine had the same sticker and embossed cover.

23. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Any Canucks tried Amazon.ca yet?

24. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I echo @Paul Beatty comments ... you cannot tell from the outside whether you have the new cut, or not. You have to open it up.

25. Richard Maryanski

Richard Maryanski Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up ! Opened and it notes P USA and, looks like CB in the deadwax.

Paul Beatty likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.