Ryan Adams - Devolver (Free album out now)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dtuck90, Sep 23, 2022.

1. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Saw the show in Milwaukee last night. Amazing setlist and he sounded phenomenal. Per typical Ryan show, he let a few talkers/phone people bother him and spent way too much time calling them out. Venue was maybe 900 full with a capacity of 1500. Glad to have him back on stage. He's just too talented to not be able to play, whether people show up or not is another story.

Dan33185 and bmh5879 like this.
  2. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

3. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

just seen this. Hard pass for The Palladium. Crap venue to see an artist, and stupidly expensive. No thanks.

If I can pick up a cheap ticket the week of the gig, I’ll go, but this is quite disappointing.

Will be interesting to see what sort of volume of audience he gets.

wallpaperman likes this.
  4. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’ll be going to the Birmingham show. The symphony hall is a fantastic venue. I’ve seen Laura Marling, Jason Isbell, CSN and Nick Mason there

wallpaperman likes this.
  5. Dan33185

Dan33185 Dylan/Cohen/Adams/T. Buckley/Holly

If it's anything like the US shows, you should be able to pick up a ticket much cheaper as the gig gets closer.

bmh5879, JohnJ and wallpaperman like this.
  6. wallpaperman

I’ve seen him at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall before, it’s about the perfect size for him, maybe 1500 capacity, great venue.

I reckon he will maintain strong support in Glasgow so should sell ok I would imagine.

About £50 a ticket though, not cheap but not awful either. I’m on the fence as probably mean going myself from Edinburgh as my missus is not much of a fan, particularly for solo acoustic shows.

paulbright81 likes this.
  7. Luftveraenderung

Luftveraenderung Nur ich & ich & ich & Tinitus.

I wonder if he'll get over the North Sea to Europe later next year. I hope so, although I don't care much for his solo shows, especially when they are 30+ songs.

Harm1985 likes this.
  8. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I mean if you like Ryan, a 30+ song, three hour all acoustic show is kind of all you could ask for no? I can attest the shows are fantastic!

9. Luftveraenderung

I enjoy full band gigs more than solo acoustic ones. I saw him solo in 2012 on the Ashes and Fire tour in Amsterdam and it was good, but towards the end I grew a bit tired. I liked it better when he was with a band.

twicks likes this.
  10. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

He definitely doesn’t want to pay a band right now. I have a ticket for next Friday and am still on the fence if I’m going to go.

I agree his 3 hour acoustic sets become a little tiring. You have to be in the right state of mine for it. Definitely like the band shows better.

11. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I couldn’t sit and listen to it on my couch but with him right in front of you playing that stuff, it didn’t feel long to me at all. And the set lists are way better then the Ashes and Fire tour.

12. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Tremendous album. Great songs, guitar work and sounds nicely underproduced.

13. wallpaperman

Devolver is now available on Apple Music in the UK, so guess all the other services as well.

Beaker73 and Alan57 like this.
  14. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

He’s always been a high output artist. And yes, for me he could and can be overwhelming. Haven’t been paying much attention to him since Prisoner though.

Looks like he’s back on his feet, I hope it stays that way for him.

Recently saw an interview with Nothing But Thieves where they specifically mention being on the road touring as the most important and hardest part of being a band.

15. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Yes, I see qobuz has it, in 24-44,1 no less.

16. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I really urge anyone who likes this album to get the FLAC version. As with Chris it wasn’t a great mp3 conversion provided by PAXAM. Had it on earlier and I’m getting much better stereo separation and clarity on the instruments.

KDubATX likes this.
  17. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I saw him in December 2011 solo at the Myerhoff in Baltimore and he was amazing. As far as his transgressions, that's his business. We've all treated people in our lives like crap sometimes, but we're not famous. The testing had a bit of the "ick" factor but when I heard the girl lied to him about her age, I was a bit more forgiving. I'm glad to see the guy back on his feet.

Zeki and Alan57 like this.
  18. HonestDenver

HonestDenver Forum Resident

I just listened to the lossless version on Apple and would certainly agree. The sound itself is much better, but doesn't change the songs are not all that great.

imsjry likes this.
  19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

March 2023 is 6 one nighters across western Canada over 7 nights. The show here in Vancouver is CDN$ 85-$150 (USD$60-110) after fees depending on seat location.

20. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Yeah not one of his I’ll be returning to often but I say if artists have the material, release it all! I love that about Ryan.

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Disagree. Not all material should be released. Some material just isn’t particularly good and tarnishes, not enhances, an artist’s output.

Ryan Adams is exhibit A for this.

Luftveraenderung likes this.
  22. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I could see this if I were someone new trying to get into him. Just too much material and a lot of it is hit and miss. But for dedicated fans of an artist, I want to hear it all and let me decide what I like. Look at the stuff Dylan or Bruce thought wasn’t good enough to release. Ryan has stuff he hasn’t put out yet that’s as good as any “proper” album of his. Plus, in the age of streaming, most people have no idea what’s what so just release it all imo.

23. Luftveraenderung

Both Wednesdays and Big Colors were nicely curated. It wasn't hit and miss, it were albums that could stand with other similar records of his. Wednesdays fits the acoustic category and is miles better than his last effort in that direction Ashes & Fire. Big Colors is a nice continuation of his 80's sound of the last decade.

I just think these records came too early. He should have toured first to build momentum and then release these records.

Zeki likes this.
  24. I think the 4 albums this year are basically a vault clearing exercise.I think only Romeo &Juliet holds up as an album.
    Just getting product out there to say “I’m back” and given that he doesn’t have a physical distribution deal it is all low key.

stefjnl, Vox78 and marcb like this.
  25. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

100%. and he still isn't covered by any of the music press so its all for the die hard fans anyway. Why should he hold anything back at this point? He's working so far outside of the system, the concept of "albums", buzz, momentum, and good press is meaningless to him now.

Catunderthestars likes this.