Ryan Adams "Gold" SACD problem

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by romanotrax, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone else who has heard the "Gold" SACD had a problem with no center or no sub channel. I just bought this disc, popped it in the player and nothing came out of either of those channels. I put in the Beck SACD (also mutichannel) and it played perfectly so I know its not my system. And I did double check to make sure I was listening to the multichannel mix of the Adams disc and, sure enough, I was.

Thanks,
    Bob

2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

It appears to be the way this was mixed for surround: 4.0.

3. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident Thread Starter

If that's true... that SUCKS!!!!

I don't even care about the center channel... but the bass???

4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Sorry to disagree - but a 4-channel mix works fine.

On the other hand, if you don't have at minimum full range speakers for front left and right, I can see where a 4-channel mix could be a bit disconcerting.

On my system everything sounds fine.

5. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

It sounds fine to me. I thought it was a 5 channel mix though, because when I play it the display shows 5 not 5.1 or 4. One thing to take note of with Gold is that it is not a recording with a lot of bottom in the first place. As far as the center channel, I never really took note of whether there was anything coming from it or not, but the next time I listen to it I'll check.

If it doesn't sound right, maybe you should try checking how you have the speakers configured on your player. I use a Sony C555ES and before I upgraded my multichannel setup, I had 5 small satellites and a passive sub-woofer that required I set my player and A/V receiver as having 5 large no sub. When I made the switch, I changed the settings on the player to 5 small with sub, not realizing that it could be set for 5 large with sub. I thought that all of my SACDs, especially the Ryan Adams, sounded very thin compared to DVD-As. When I started to fine tune the system a week later with a sound level metre, I got the ol' manuals out again and I realised my error. I also rediscovered that I could set the 2-channel playback mode for SACDs to either 2spk or 2spk w/ sub. So I set it for 2 spk w/ sub and 5 Large w/ sub for multichannel and there was an immediately noticeable improvement in the sound of SACD's played back in multichannel. The SACD's also sound even better played back w/ sub. As for the Ryan Adams disc, it sounds just fine.

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

IMHO, the .1 channel is sort of a waste of time for music. It was created to provide an extra 10 dB of dynamic headroom for low frequency effects, but is too often used to carry parts of the soundtrack that don't require it. I remember when the DTS CD of Dave Grusin's jazz arrangements of West Side Story music was released, there was some controversy about producer Phil Ramone not wanting to use the LFE channel, but being pressured to do so for reasons that had nothing to do with music.

If you have full-range speakers, you essentially wind up with a good chunk of the bass being mixed to mono like a typical satellite & subwoofer arrangement.

Currently, my only multi-channel set-up is a mid-fi HT system with Polk Satellites and my sub carrying everything below 120Hz or so, so it doesn't matter much to me now, but if I invested a lot in full-range speakers for a multi-channel system, I would want the LFE used sparingly at best for music.

Regards,

7. GoldenBoy

My multichannel and stereo setups are now one with my Tannoy Reveals as front L/R and some new Tannoy Mercurys: Mercury MXC-M center, Mercury MX1-M surround L/R and a JBL PB10 10" powered sub handling everything 70hz and below. It sounds great and the sub works really well when playing back SACD's in stereo as well. I think the sub can work really well to add just a tad more depth to the sound, but don't get me wrong, I by no means have it booming. I've got it leveled out so there's just a little bit more punch. When I watch DVD movies, however, it really bellows. :)

8. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Subwoofer theory says that you can use a "mono" subwoofer because you can't localize low frequencies. However the fact is this is true only for frequencies that are lower than where most subwoofers begin working, so most subwoofer setups are theoretical compromises.

I don't quite understand how the .1 channel is "supposed" to be used for music-only disks.

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Maybe for some popped "p"s and the cannon fire on the 1812 Overture.

:)

Regards,

10. GoldenBoy

I believe low frequencies theoretically become directional above the 85hz mark, and, you're correct, many sub-woofers start working at higher frequencies than that to compliment those tiny 5.1 HT speaker packages and the like, but if you have a setup like mine (or better, as I'm confident there are many) this is not an issue. I have the crossover frequency set on both my sub-woofer (the ability to adjust the crossover on the sub itself, IMO, is a must) and receiver for 70hz and below. I do not consider it a compromise, but rather a complimentary feature and I haven't come across anyone yet who can determine where in the heck I've placed my sub-woofer. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.