Ryan Adams - Romeo and Juliet

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Luftveraenderung, Apr 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackstar

blackstar Senior Member

Will be out on streaming services in three weeks.

Zeki likes this.
  2. blackstar

blackstar Senior Member

On Ryan's Instagram somebody asked who played the bass on this album and Ryan just confirmed that he himself played it.

ARK likes this.
  3. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

I mean Ryan's a talented musician, but there's no way the bass on these tracks are him. Plus the version of "In the Meadow" is indeed the Cardinals version that Ryan played on IG, so that automatically rules out him being the sole bass player on this album.

4. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

What’s it like in terms of style?
    Has he given the 80’s Smiths/Springsteen hybrid a break and returned to a more organic sound?

5. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

There's still some of that here, but less than on Chris. A good chunk of tracks here, if not a complete return to a more fully organic song, are reminiscent of his rootsier albums. It also sounds like there are more tracks recorded with a band of musicians as opposed to just him solo, as well.

Vox78, stefjnl and blackstar like this.
  6. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

harsh. But could be right. Clearly he’s only tapping into the hardcore fanbase at the moment with these types of releases.

the jesus abyss likes this.
  7. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I'm hoping it'll be cheaper to download then too. 30 bucks is a little steep for me

blackstar likes this.
  8. willforest

willforest Active Member

Completely disagree only hardcore fans would like the any cuts off the last three albums before this one. If you didn't like at least some songs on those albums, you just don't like Ryan Adams.

Vox78 likes this.
  9. stefjnl

stefjnl Forum Resident

the Cardinals version? so that's like a decade plus old? no complaints but that's surprising to hear. with Doylstown Girl being like 4 years old, it's definately not just music from recent sessions. wonder how that fits in with the other stuff

10. Luftveraenderung

Luftveraenderung Nur ich & ich & ich & Tinitus. Thread Starter

I'd say Wednesdays is classic Ryan Adams.

11. the jesus abyss

the jesus abyss Forum Resident

Some songs? This is the problem with these latest releases. Completely diminishing returns. Most people can't be bothered to every few months listen to a new Ryan Adams album in hope that it'll have a couple of songs to match former glories.

I'm glad you're enjoying them though!

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  12. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

Its not that no one would like some of the tracks. $30 for a digital release, no physical release and very low key. I expect there’s lots of fans who don’t even know about this.

then even if you did, there’s an awful lot of music to have to dig into of his recently. Therefore, I would suggest it’s mainly hardcore fans. I’m a fan, and I’ve not listened to Chris, and won’t listen to this for some while.

Big Blue likes this.
  13. Luftveraenderung

Luftveraenderung Nur ich & ich & ich & Tinitus. Thread Starter

At least Mark Kozelek did release them on vinyl and/or cd. It seems to me Ryan is clearing out the vaults, releasing these inconsistent album. I'm even thinking he is releasing them digital so he can avoid any trouble with other musicians, since there are no liner notes...

14. Bug80

Bug80 Forum Resident

I don't think it works that way. Even if there are no liner notes, when you upload the song to streaming services you have to provide all info regarding writer and producer credits.

ARK and Big Blue like this.
  15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

‘When You Cross Over’: such an exquisite, tender and thoughtful song. Really wonderful writing and all-in-all brilliant song.

‘Birmingham’ and ‘Dreaming You Backwards,’…yeah, it fits the classic moniker.

xj32, sortvinyl, Mt.Elga and 6 others like this.
  16. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

So, are the flac files 16 bit or 24 bit?

17. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

When You Cross Over is up there with his best songs

18. orca orca

orca orca Countryfried

Agree. Thought Wednesdays was great. I would put it among my five favorite Ry-Ry albums.

xj32, sortvinyl, DavidJ and 3 others like this.
  19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I haven’t done the top-5 analysis but this thread has me revisiting my master Ryan Adams playlist (on shuffle). 60 songs totaling 4 hours (it was 61 but … one track just bit the dust. Happens sometimes! :D ).

orca orca likes this.
  20. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

16/44

Beaker73 likes this.
  21. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Only up to track 3 but Ryan has done a fantastic mix on these tracks so far. I was dreading it after the preview clips. I can already see myself listening to this more than Chris (although it has grown on me a lot)

22. orca orca

orca orca Countryfried

I would say that "When You Cross Over", "Birmingham", "Red and Orange Special", "Crooked Shake" and now "In the Blue of the Night" are as good as anything Ryan wrote in the early 2000s.

sortvinyl, Mt.Elga and dtuck90 like this.
  23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

? What’s this on?

24. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

It was an alternative 7 inch for Wednesdays i believe

Zeki likes this.
  25. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

one of the bonus 7"s with Wednesdays

Zeki likes this.
Thread Status: