Ryan Adams - Romeo and Juliet

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Luftveraenderung, Apr 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Very excited to hear Romeo & Juliet, especially after some of the comments in this thread. I was pleased when he announced that there would be FLAC (for you nerds!) but in my funny money 30 Dollars is 500 bucks so I will wait for streaming and iTunes.

2. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

Is this the same song as 'Romeo & Juliet" or is this off something else?

3. orca orca

orca orca Countryfried

That one is from the Easy Tiger sessions.

Interpolantics likes this.
  4. ecosse_011172

ecosse_011172 Forum Resident

As much of a twat the guy is, the "nonce" comment is a bit much considering the FBI investigated and found there was no case and the girl stated that she repeatedly told him she was 18. As I said, guy has always been a dick but "nonce" is a bit OTT.

iainoco, painted8, Vox78 and 6 others like this.
  5. ecosse_011172

ecosse_011172 Forum Resident

Like an idiot I paid the FLAC cash and the 2nd half of the album in particular is great to my ears, Something's Missing is brilliant.
    If it's like "Chris", you'll be able to buy it in FLAC much cheaper from Qobuz in no tie.
    I've been talking to someone at Paxam to see if my Chris MP3s could be upgraded to FLAC but "they're not available" but Ryan may release it this summer, I downloaded them illegally as of course they are available and can be bought from Qobuz for the equivalent of 12USD.
    Quite impressive anti-consumer bollocks to release an album only on MP3 for not far off double the price of what you can buy it in FLAC quality for, this is a guy trying to restart his career!
    Pretty comical, I'll think twice about buying direct from him in the future, shame as I always try and make sure that as much of my purchase price goes to the artist.

6. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

i would have paid $30 for hi-res FLACs, but not 16/44 FLACs. I'll just wait till it's streaming on Qobuz.

7. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

I bought the expensive FLAC files because at least he's offering something lossless (save for "Anything" which appears to be lossy) and I like directly supporting artists when I can.

I'll echo what others have said: I think this is a better album than Chris but it still feels a bit scattershot with it being compiled from multiple sessions across many years. But, man, there are some good tunes on here. That Cardinals track is great!

8. d.s.l.

d.s.l. Forum Resident ^O;O^

I bought the FLAC files as well (for the same reason). What lead you to believe that "Anything" is lossy?

Zeki likes this.
  9. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Spectrogram I saw. Looks like it was lossy mastered.

d.s.l. likes this.
  10. d.s.l.

d.s.l. Forum Resident ^O;O^

OK. Thank you.

11. SStrekkie

SStrekkie Forum Resident

I'm not opposed to Ryan consolidating tracks from different recording sessions but it does make me wonder why, for example, "Somethings Missing" was put on the record to begin with (especially on track four after three very polished tunes). It's very jarring and thought there was something wrong with my speakers.

In the Blue of the Night is my favorite so far and I'm less than halfway through.

orca orca likes this.
  12. Luftveraenderung

Luftveraenderung Nur ich & ich & ich & Tinitus. Thread Starter

‘Somethings Missing’ is the only one I skip. Otherwise it is pretty good. Definitely more memorable than Chris. It bit more Americana, some nice acoustic songs and little less 80’s. Some lyrics don’t seem finished though.

orca orca likes this.
  13. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

So, just to have it clear; are this old recordings from Ashes & Fire era and before (Cardinals) or are they mostly new recordings?

Wednesdays is a top 5 Ryan album for me (get the LP, sounds lovely). I haven’t really paid much attention to Big Colors and Chris yet.

I’m all for supporting the artist (have all his albums) but a Mofi SACD is $30. I’ll wait for Qobuz streaming and then the physical release.

Alien Ache likes this.
  14. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I can’t keep up with RA. At this point, I’m happy just to stream his music. He’s taken being prolific to a new level.

15. Seanerk

Seanerk Active Member

Completely agree. I thought that was his best album in maybe 15 years.

orca orca likes this.
  16. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Only a few songs in and already like this way more than Big Colors. I couldn't even get all the way through Chris. Over time I've come to really enjoy Wednesdays

Only thing that's gonna hurt this album is the scattershot of songs but if he doesn't release a bunch at once they just end up being songs no one will ever hear so it is what it is.

Wish he'd stop holding Black Hole/Darkbreaker over everyone's thread. Would also love to hear Exile on Bourbon Street + the Stringdusters live album

Last thought: I wish Chris Bellman would cut his records again, otherwise I don't see myself picking up the vinyl, seems he doesnt have the financing to do them right anymore

Zeki, mikeyt and orca orca like this.
  17. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I really dug "Pacific Line" with the Wolf Bros. I would absolutely love to hear what they recorded together, but no sense in getting excited for it

orca orca likes this.
  18. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Which track is with The Cardinals?

19. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

In The Meadow

jpmosu and mikeyt like this.
  20. Rockin' Ricky

Rockin' Ricky Forum Resident

Jeez, this guy releases albums like it's the early 60s!

21. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Thanks. I bought and listened to the album tonight but I got really distracted by distortion from my headphone amp; I think it's a bad tube. I really enjoyed it though so I'm giving it a more critical listen tomorrow. Right now I think it's his best album since Prisoner.

22. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I don’t think I’ve played an Adams album this much since Cardinology.

JoeF. and Crush87 like this.
  23. stefjnl

stefjnl Forum Resident

Run is one of the catchiest tunes he's ever written, it's glorious, both musically and lyrically. This is the RA I've missed the past decade. It would've been a standout on Gold imo. If only that guitar solo lasted a little longer

Rain in LA is his best piano ballad since the trilogy (it reminds me a little of Nightbirds) with some haunting lyrics

Years and years of making enemies
    And now my worst one is time

When I look back on my life
    You will still be the best thing that ever happened to me
    And on the day I die
    The very last thing I will think
    Is how you used to look at me and smile

jpmosu, Luftveraenderung and Crush87 like this.
  24. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Just listening to this now and it's actually really damn good. I got a bit bored with his last few surprise releases and I hope this doesn't get lost in the shuffle. It's the best thing he's done in ages.

stefjnl and AntLantic like this.
  25. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Will there be a physical CD release of this album and Chris? Has there been any confirmation of that?

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.