Ryan Adams The Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Jan 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am starting to listen to Ryan albums again, with three new albums coming this year
    Would anyone with good knowledge of his work
    Please start
    Thanks

OptimisticGoat and autumn daze like this.
  2. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Summer of '69 is pretty great

richbdd01 and Neonbeam like this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

There's this great story where Ryan confronted a "Brian Adams" heckler and had him removed from the show. Complete with $20! :righton:

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's a pretty ambitious project. Especially if you included Whiskeytown. Used to be pretty knowledgeable about his albums up to "29" but haven't played them in ages.

5. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

6. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Heartbreaker is the debut solo studio album by American singer/songwriter Ryan Adams, released September 5, 2000 on Bloodshot Records. The album was recorded over fourteen days at Woodland Studios in Nashville, Tennessee. It was nominated for the 2001 Shortlist Music Prize. The album is said to be inspired by Adams' break-up with music industry publicist Amy Lombardi.[1]

Heartbreaker
    [​IMG]
    Studio album by
    Ryan Adams
    Released
    September 5, 2000
    Recorded Woodland Studios, Nashville, Tennessee
    Genre
    Length 51:57
    Label Bloodshot
    Producer Ethan Johns
    Ryan Adams chronology
    Heartbreaker

(2000) Gold
    (2001)
    According to Adams, the album's title originates from a poster of Mariah Carey: "My manager called and said, 'You have 15 seconds to name this record,' "My eyes focused on this poster of Mariah wearing a T-shirt that said HEARTBREAKER. I just shouted, 'Heartbreaker!'"[2]

Neonbeam, Buddys Dad and autumn daze like this.
  7. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Love Heartbreaker -- To Be Young, Winding Wheel, Sweet Carolina, Damn Sam, Shakedown on 9th are my favorites

The MEZ, OptimisticGoat and Gavaxeman like this.
  8. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Come pick me up is a great song, love that lyric

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    OptimisticGoat likes this.
  9. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

I think I overplayed Heartbreaker at the time. To the point that I find it difficult to enjoy now.

That said the highs on it are outstanding (Damn Sam, Come Pick Me Up, Why Do They Leave, To Be The One).

The MEZ and Ed Wright like this.
  10. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

While I certainly enjoy Heartbreaker, it was the next album where Ryan Adams truly got his hooks into me.

11. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

I was 17 when Heartbreaker came out, fresh out of a tough break up and it hit me, hard. Weirdly, my mum recommended the album to me...

Anyway, the warmth in this album is astonishing. There’s so much air too. Come Pick Me Up seemed to be the fan favourite at the time and for the next few years was the song everyone cheered for most at his gigs, but Oh My Sweet Carolina is a stone cold classic. Had Neil Young released that song on Harvest, it’d be up there with Heart of Gold in the highest echelons of singer-songwriter tracks. I think it deserves far more praise than it gets. If you’ve ever heard Ryan do that song solo, especially with a quiet crowd, it’s ethereal.

For me, Carolina and Call Me On Your Way Back Home are two of the most beautiful songs I’ve ever heard. Sweet Lil Gal, In My Time Of Need, My Winding Wheel... there’s just so much to choose from here.

Wonderful, wonderful album. I haven’t played it in a long while as I feel burned out on Ryan after spending much of the last... wow, 19 years... listening to him. But I know as with all past musical loves of mine, he’ll come back into favour at just the right point and I’ll appreciate it all over again.

The MEZ, OptimisticGoat and Gavaxeman like this.
  12. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I have the SACD of this album and the recent deluxe version. It is a great collection of songs. I am not sure he has ever written anything as good as Oh My Sweet Carolina. Also love Damn Sam, Come Pick Me Up, In my Time of Need. If I had to pick my favourite 20 of his songs, I think all four would be in the chart.

The MEZ and OptimisticGoat like this.
  13. rendit

rendit Forum Resident

He does seem to be channeling Neil Young and Bob Dylan on this record, more than any of his subsequent records. Any fan of those two acts would find a lot to like on this record.

The MEZ and autumn daze like this.
  14. Buddys Dad

Buddys Dad Forum Resident

To get my weekly music fix I present a Community Radio show on www.103theeye.co.uk
    Several years ago a regular listener asked for Ryan's Magnolia Mountain for the Beat The DJ spot, where I'll play anything.
    Maybe once a decade an artist alters your musical landscape.
    This track hit so hard I had to get everything by RDA.

Timeless album from a guy who cares
    Maybe sometimes too much. In a good way.
    And featuring musical royalty.
    Rarely off the turntable.

No. Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "(Argument with David Rawlings Concerning Morrissey)" (An argument regarding the Morrissey track "Suedehead".) 0:37
    2. "To Be Young (Is to Be Sad, Is to Be High)" Ryan Adams, David Rawlings 3:04
    3. "My Winding Wheel" 3:13
    4. "Amy" 3:46
    5. "Oh My Sweet Carolina" 4:57
    6. "Bartering Lines" Ryan Adams, Van Alston 3:59
    7. "Call Me On Your Way Back Home" 3:09
    8. "Damn, Sam (I Love a Woman That Rains)" 2:08
    9. "Come Pick Me Up" Ryan Adams, Van Alston 5:18
    10. "To Be the One" 3:01
    11. "Why Do They Leave?" 3:38
    12. "Shakedown on 9th Street" 2:53
    13. "Don't Ask for the Water" 2:56
    14. "In My Time of Need" 5:39
    15. "Sweet Lil Gal (23rd/1st)" 3:39

15. Buddys Dad

Buddys Dad Forum Resident

Musicians
    • Ryan Adams - vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, harmonica, piano, banjo
    • Ethan Johns - drums, bass, Chamberlain, glockenspiel, B-3, vibes
    • David Rawlings - backing vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, banjo, tambourine
    • Gillian Welch - backing vocals, banjo, acoustic guitar, electric bass, "voice of Lucy"
    • Pat Sansone - piano (5, 9, 11), Chamberlin and organ (6), backing vocals (2)
    • Emmylou Harris - backing vocals (5)
    • Kim Richey - backing vocals (9)
    • Allison Pierce - backing vocals (11)

jumpinjulian and rancher like this.
  16. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Essential: cold roses, love is hell, Heartbreaker

The MEZ and Frank Field like this.
  17. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I find Ryan Adams to be a pretty frustrating artist. Loved Whiskeytown, and Heartbreaker and Gold are absolutely stunning, essential albums. But since then, he seems to be just churning out one decent-but-forgettable album after another. A real case of quantity over quality.

I'll admit I haven't heard every album, but has he done anything else that comes close to the quality of those first two albums?

18. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Along with Jason Isbell, my favourite songwriter lately.

The MEZ likes this.
  19. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I think Cold Roses is his best album. Love is Hell is also fantastic.

20. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

I'm sure I'm in a minority here when I say I really like his last two albums (s/t & prisoner)
    I'd go with cold roses, love is hell & heartbreaker as my top three earlier records

21. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Hey, Wilco's Pat Sansone! Well, he wasn't back then, but not sure i ever knew he was on this ...

22. Gavaxeman

His self titled album Is brilliant from a few years back imo

23. Gavaxeman

Agree last two are really good, and he’s brilliant live

24. Mt.Elga

Mt.Elga Forum Resident

Heartbreaker has great some sonics..Isn't Petals in a rainstorm from these sessions?

The MEZ likes this.
  25. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

Pretty much my experience as well. After Gold I went back and bought this one as well as the Whiskeytown records.

It's probably my most listened to Ryan Adams records right now. Not sure if its my favorite, Gold and Love is Hell run neck and neck with this record for that, but its certainly one of my favorites.

The MEZ and Jeff Minn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.