Ryan Adams The Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Jan 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

I have been pretty frustrated with Ryan Adams the last, oh, 10 years or so and I didn't know this story...my frustration doesn't end...This sounds like a total Ryan Adams move. Once we get to the more recent releases we can chat about why my disdain for him has grown. Heartbreaker, though...a masterpiece.

2. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Still? Damn...that thing came out nearly 20 years ago.

Prisoner didn't speak to me until I got my hands on the Rough Trade in-store concert release. I'm a guitar player and I really hate his tone right now only because my soul doesn't resonate with the 80s thing on any level. He loves it. This is where I've gone off track with him lately. I also don't find the songs on the recent releases to speak to me as loudly as pre 2007. It's all starting to sound the same.

3. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

You and I must be Ryan Adams kindred spirits. Those are my two very favorites as well. ;)

John C Bradley Jr likes this.
  4. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

Actually I can get something out of most of the Ryan Adams records more or less, except 1989 and III/IV. Still the best for me would have been the Suicide Handbook if properly released. Personally for some reason that I can not even explain, since I do not really dig country, I absolutely love Jacksonville City Nights, especially "Hard way to fall". And I think Big Colors might be one of his best, cause I really like F*** the rain and the personnel is very exceptional.

The MEZ likes this.
  5. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

48 Hours would have been his all time greatest album if it had been released. It probably would have totally changed his career trajectory as well.

The MEZ likes this.
  6. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

I like the songs on SH better, but I really like Karina. I still regret not buying Live after deaf when it came out.

7. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Regarding Heartbreaker's 2015 2x vinyl - it's a phenomenal mastering by Chris Bellman and sounds remarkable, it's also pressed at Pallas, but every copy I've heard (3 separate ones) are all really noisy, with background static noise here and there throughout the records, even after a thorough cleaning, and no, it's not my player as other clean records have no such noise. It's not too bad on the louder songs, but gets in the way of the quieter ones. It's unfortunate, because it hurts an otherwise fantastic sounding vinyl.

8. NotebookWriter

NotebookWriter Forum Resident

I think Heartbreaker is unsatisfying as a whole.

As a fan of his work with Whiskeytown, I can remember looking forward to this first solo album. It begins promisingly, but with the notable exception of Come Pick Me Up, the back half is mostly forgettable.

What makes it impossible to ignore, however, is that it contains some of his very best songs. Aside from Come Pick Me Up, there's To Be Young, Oh My Sweet Carolina, and My Winding Wheel.

I know that Whiskeytown will be too Country for some tastes, but I'm convinced that was when he wrote his most memorable songs. Anyone with more than a passing interest in his music should check out Pneumonia, the third and final release from Whiskeytown.

The MEZ and moople72 like this.
  9. NotebookWriter

Cold Roses is his most consistent album, although he recorded many other good to great songs after Gold.

10. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I love the Pneumonia album, but that's less Whiskeytown, and more of an Adam's solo album.
    So much so, that this thread should've started with that album instead of Heartbreaker.

The MEZ likes this.
  11. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Walls — that is such a good song. .... But he sure created some sublime art.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2019
    The MEZ likes this.
  12. NotebookWriter

Although it was released under the Whiskeytown banner, you're right that it's not a true group effort in the same way that All Shook Down by The Replacements isn't. I recommend it to Adams fans who haven't heard it because it's a departure from the Alt Country sound of the previous two albums. I also think it's better than any album that will be discussed in this thread.

13. I came in with Ryan at Gold but didn’t really fall in love with anything until Love Is Hell.Became familiar with many of the Heatbreaker songs throw seeing him do them live and then eventually getting them on Live After Deaf.
    The first copy of this album I actually bought was the deluxe in 2016.Many great songs with an extra shout out for the bonus track War Horse.Carolina,Call Me On Your Way Back Home,ComePick Me Up and Why Do They Leave are among my favourite RA songs.
    Still processing the last week and not sure if I will ever want to listen again but a great album.

The MEZ likes this.
  14. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Risus abundat in ore stultorum

15. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

So I really do like Ashes and Fire which is also one of his best, especially Dirty Rain. I still wonder if there really is a CB cut of this.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2019
  16. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Ryan Adams The Album by Album Thread

DaK likes this.
  17. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Yes, Heartbreaker, Gold, Cold Roses, III/IV, yes, extraordinary albums. I discover Ryan about 4 years ago and can´t get enough.

But please get Follow The Lights, ideally on vinyl (about $8 brand new, superb sounding). Such a beautiful EP. I think I purchased like 10 copies and I´m giving it to friends as gifts.

Kubricker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.