Ryan Adams - Wednesdays (Dec 11th 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Interpolantics, Dec 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Love the sleeve.

robcar and Rukiki like this.
  2. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

3. Sounds almost like a bad vinyl rip? That's what I'm hearing.

Exile On My Street likes this.
  4. Rukiki

Rukiki Forum Resident

Currently listening to it. Streaming from my laptop to a bluetooth receiver on my hifi. Not the best setup, but so far I´m into it. Both the sound quality & the tracks.

It´s been a while since we had this intimate & acoustic Ryan Adams (although I loved his last 3 albums, including 1989).

Nice to have him back. I´ll get the cd whenever it´s possible,

Erik B. and Zeki like this.
  5. luckycountry

luckycountry Forum Resident

I'm a bit out of the loop with the relationship between this and Big Colors. Was the latter scrapped and these are all new songs?

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  6. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

The 48/24 digital sounds great from Qobuz! Welcome back Ryan!

7. Buddys Dad

Buddys Dad Forum Resident

This release has caused great excitement on the DRA forums, but so far little in the way of reviews.
    More sparse & stripped back than Ashes & Fire, here is a hugely prolific, one time treasured songwriter, with just his guitar & stories to tell.
    Its Ryan's Pink Moon (Nick Drake)
    A far darker Paul Simon Songbook.
    Blood on the Tracks

Too early to get into the detail, but this is a personal/intimate set of songs from a man who has faced tough times in recent years.
    Relationship train crash(s) , accusations, MeToo backlash, NYT article and the death of his brother have left him alone in the studio with his demons.
    Probably as confessional as we'll get from DRA.

As predictions go I'm looking forward to the Solo British/European tour late 2021 early 2022.

Alien Ache, JoeF., wgb113 and 5 others like this.
  8. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Just started listening and it’s pretty intense. I’m only four tracks in but already have When You Cross Over marked as a highlight.

OptimisticGoat and Yorick like this.
  9. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

When You Cross Over is my early favourite as well! Brilliant album, a true return to form. Best since Ashes and Fire IMHO.

10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Anyone know who is singing harmony vocals on ‘Mamma’?

11. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

I thought I heard Emmylou Harris somewhere on the album

Erik B. and Zeki like this.
  12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

‘Dreaming You Backwards’...wow! A beautiful closing song.

TheWickerMan, Yorick and Buddys Dad like this.
  13. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

14. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Is Isbell still on this one? Can't wait to listen.

15. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

Seems more like a gushing fan than an objective review. Some cringe-inducing lines like: "the ever popular accentuation of the harmonica for rousing the chills upon the backbone". And: "If my wife ever decides to divorce me, this will be the album I can never listen to, because that’s just how real and devastating it is. Multiple times these songs have brought me to tears. I believe this is the saddest album of all time."

16. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

I need to give this a few more listens before developing a solid opinion on it, but the Ashes and Fire meets 29 comparisons are pretty accurate. The only issue I had upon first listen is that even those albums, and even an album like Heartbreaker, varied up the instrumentation (and the amount of it) between tracks, while this is mostly acoustic Ryan bookended by two more fully fleshed-out tracks from Big Colors. There’s nothing wrong with that on its surface; plenty of great albums have been made that are mostly solo acoustic. But it does lead to a bit of a sameness vibe, where the tracks bleed in and out of each other without the consistent A+ melodies to make them really stand out (though there are good ones, like “When You Cross Over”). So by the time “Birmingham” came in with its full-band arrangement, it was a welcome change of pace. The production also sort of helps it to give it that vibe for me, as well.

Obviously this is all after one listen, and this album could be a grower, for sure. But these are my initial thoughts upon first listen.

Interpolantics and Zeki like this.
  17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Ryan Adams Releases New Album ‘Wednesdays’

jambase review. This is incorrect about ‘Birmingham’ having been dropped but lists a number of songs that were on the original track listing.

edit: really more of an announce as it doesn’t review the songs.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  18. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Thank you for giving me your review of the review.
    If you've got a better one, post it. (HINT: there aren't many)

19. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

so are we thinking that its incorrect that the US and EU versions of the LP have different bonus 7"s?

20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

2nd time through and now I have five songs on my shortlist: When You Cross Over; Walk in the Dark; Birmingham; So, Anyways; and Dreaming You Backwards. And the others aren’t too shabby, either.

Lyrically, every single song is top notch. Brilliant, really.

Yorick and NunoBento like this.
  21. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

How can you not like a review with such visceral words, from someone who clearly felt the music and connected with it? Isn't that what it's all about?

22. IHeartRecordsAz

So the descriptions of all of the YouTube videos that just went up for this day that this will be the first release “in a trilogy.”

Erik B. likes this.
  23. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I'm guessing the remaining Big Colors songs that are suitable for release will show up on these, and maybe the Wednesdays songs that are missing. The third album could be all new material post-NYT article. I'm just speculating though.

Or just maybe he will finally put out Blackhole

IHeartRecordsAz likes this.
  24. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident Thread Starter

First listen and I agree with this 100%

I think this was the right album for him to release though. Sincere, honest and raw.

I'm looking forward to a full band Adams with the other releases.

Birmingham is an early favourite.

Zeki and IHeartRecordsAz like this.
  25. IHeartRecordsAz

I would bet that at least one of these two releases would be of newly/recently recorded songs. I mean he couldn’t have gone the past 2 years without writing and recording some new material, right? And idk if the Wednesday outtakes would be enough to constitute a new album around, plus I feel like he cut them out for a reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.