Ryan Adams - Wednesdays (Dec 11th 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Interpolantics, Dec 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

I don't like particularly this guy as person, but I appreciate him as artist and songwriter.

2. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

He hasn’t played acoustic guitar like this since probably Destroyer

Mt.Elga and Yorick like this.
  3. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wonder how soon until he drops the other two albums? In theory he could release all three before the year is out giving him a fresh start for 2021.

Wishful thinking perhaps but I can't wait for more stuff like Birmingham!

The MEZ likes this.
  4. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

I think that’s a good way to look at it. I imagine a large percentage of our favourite musicians, actors are flawed to some degree, doesn’t mean we can’t appreciate what they put out.

The MEZ, NunoBento and Heart of Gold like this.
  5. Jerry Owens

Jerry Owens Forum Resident

I've noticed that some stores in Europe/UK have Wednesdays vinyl with different bonus 7in than the one on Ryan's official site & other U.S. stores. Does anyone know if this is legit or maybe an error. The one I'm seeing at some online stores has a 7in with a cat on the cover & the songs are

C1. It’s Not That Kind Of Night (vinyl-only bonus track)
    D1. Sunflowers (vinyl-only bonus track)

Can anyone shed any light on this? I'll want to get both of the bonus 45's. But, I'm hesitant to buy the non U.S. one as it could be a mistake & I'll end up getting two of the one shown on his site. Thanks in advance.

• Side A: Red And Orange Special
    • Side B: Somewhere It Is Spring
    [​IMG]

6. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I'm in love with this album. It has rocketed into my top 3 of this year.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  7. A couple of points I'd like to make on this comment if I may...

As far as I can tell, he was effectively tried and convicted by social media. I don't think that is right, irrespective of what he may or may not have done as a person.
    Secondly, in a case like this I think of words I've seen Steve Van Zandt write more than once on Twitter: trust the art, not the artist.

I for one am not going to stop listening to his music and am looking forward to listening to this album.

8. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

Careful now ! There‘s not a lot of tolerance for reasoned ,common sense opinions like yours, these days.

9. David Kellar

David Kellar Forum Resident

There are many artist I love that are hypocrites and not very likeable people. Doesn’t make me stop or liking their art. Like @Scatterling of Africa said and quoted Steve Van Zandt "trust the art, not the artist"

10. David Kellar

David Kellar Forum Resident

Agreed.

Scatterling of Africa likes this.
  11. Buddys Dad

Buddys Dad Forum Resident

Cat cover is Europe
    C1. It’s Not That Kind Of Night (vinyl-only bonus track)
    D1. Sunflowers (vinyl-only bonus track)

Park Bench is American
    • Side A: Red And Orange Special
    • Side B: Somewhere It Is Spring
    [​IMG]

American version is much cheaper than in Europe.
    But thats not stopped complaints about shipping costs from Europe for Cat Cover 7"
    Jeez they'll be moaning about gas prices next

XAfNIrATvinyl.png (640×640) (imgix.net)

12. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

Any advice on the most affordable option to purchase the Europe/UK version for those of us in the US?

13. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I don’t think there are 2 versions as Amazon U.K. have now changed the 7” listing to the non cat cover

14. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Do you have a link for the Amazon listing?

15. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

I’m super late to the party - this record is my first exposure to RA. I’m digging it, very listenable. Will definitely check out more of his stuff.

I have to admit, the sleeve is cool looking enough that it tipped me over into giving it a listen. Maybe I would have anyway out of curiosity, but a nice sleeve never hurts.

TheWickerMan, Matisse and Zeki like this.
  16. Mt.Elga

Mt.Elga Forum Resident

Waiting for Darkbreaker and 48 hours

17. Mt.Elga

Mt.Elga Forum Resident

Ryan is back!!!

NunoBento likes this.
  18. Late in the evening

Late in the evening Forum Resident

Stunning album. Beautiful textures everywhere. Nobody else can do all this in 2020. Ryan is in great voice. Acoustic guitar, harmonica, backing vocals (Emmylou!) all recorded perfectly with poise and elegance. I'm so grateful that he came back.

grx8, Zeki, Mt.Elga and 1 other person like this.
  19. Campaigner

Campaigner Too late to cause a stir

Just having a first listen now, and straight off the bat 'I'm Sorry and I Love You' is just full of great melodies, negating one of my fears (I don't think his recent albums have been strong in the melody department).

TheWickerMan and NunoBento like this.
  20. Trainwrecker

Trainwrecker Forum Resident

This record was recorded extremely well. Great material. Never been a fan of his falsetto though. RA is easily one of the greatest songwriters of our generation.

His drama was a fine example of a hit piece that was presented, one sided, as undisputed facts. I will never forget that Amanda Shires drove a bus over him dragging Jason along. Wonder if Shonna Tucker has any complaints?

Back to the music, hope to see many releases soon on vinyl and good band with him on tour soon.

21. Buddys Dad

22. Buddys Dad

Going to be logistically tough to get a band tour up & running in 2021. Plus he's a bit short on guys who'd want to do it.
    Live At Rough Trade or Carnegie Hall solo type tour is my best guess

23. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I know. But this is the photo Amazon was originally listing that they have now replaced, which was the point I was making. I think Ryan changed his mind.

This isn’t the first time this has happened. Some sites had a different b side listed for Baby I Love You and that didn’t happen. And if I recall correctly Gimme Something Good was originally advertised with I Just Might as the b side. Darkness was originally advertised as the Flexi Disc with Ashes and Fire as well

The last thing Ryan should be doing at the moment is potentially upsetting his fragile fan base by having different regional exclusive 7”s.

NunoBento likes this.
  24. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I like Prisoner but I ended up loving Prisoner The B-Sides

Glad Man, wallpaperman and NunoBento like this.
  25. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

It’s a shame we didn’t get Prisoner 2 and 3 (one of which was supposed to be full of piano songs). It seems after About Time was accidentally released that the albums were pulled

wallpaperman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.