RYM Top 25 worst albums of 1970s with at least 1000 votes: what hills will you die on?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eleventh Earl of Mar, Sep 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

But...how many of us here, are likely to either reach a consensus...or, agree with whatever consensus we would reach...? ;)

2. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far. Thread Starter

It only just made it - the list is by place on the list.

3. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Zeppelin / In Through The Outdoor
    Dylan / Self Portrait

Definitely should be not on this list. The others are debatable though.

Sean likes this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Black Sabbath - Never Say Die! Is a good record

Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band - Bluejeans and Moonbeams is my favorite Beefheart record. Like a Don Van Vliet solo record. He gives me a hug, and I like it.

drift likes this.
  5. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

David Bowie - Pin Ups
    Wings - Wild Life
    Zeppelin - In Through The Out Door

The Alan Parsons has a couple decent songs, at least "Lucifer" is very good

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

Half of these albums are scoring around 3 out of 5, which really isn't so bad. They happen to be from bands that are still revered enough in the internet era to garner 1000+ rankings on a website. I'm sure we can find plenty of more gawd-awful albums recorded in the 70's that were big sellers at the time that suck much more than those on this list.

And I take it the the Sgt. Pepper's soundtrack didn't have enough votes to qualify for the list??

Jarleboy and Sean like this.
  7. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Hating Pin Ups is curiously trendy these days. Have that many people even listened to it?

I happen to like it a lot. It's fun and creative and doesn't take itself too seriously.

8. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

I haven’t heard most of these, but I like the two Black Sabbath albums, and the Zeppelin, Kraftwerk, and ABBA. None are my favorite, but they’re all solid AFAIC. Especially Never Say Die! That album is a lot better than its reputation.

For the rest, Eve has its moments, I don’t like the Beefheart except for the opening track, and the VU isn’t the worst thing I’ve ever heard.

That Manson record, though, is awful.

9. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

i also like "rock 'n' roll" ("stand by me" is maybe one of the best cover versions ever) and which other worst album has songs like "sweet hitch hiker" and "someday never comes" on it ?

bvb1123 likes this.
  10. drift

drift Forum Resident

Bluejeans and Moonbeams and Never Say Die are both great! I have middling to negative opinions about the rest on the list that I've heard.

11. Lonesurf

Lonesurf Forum Resident

I’m on the hill for Carl & The Passions: All This Is That, Mess Of Help & Marcella are all essential Beach Boys tracks.

12. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Waterloo, Pin Ups, Eve, and In through the Out Door are all albums I listen to regularly, and none of them are the worst albums by those artists. Not sure how they could possibly end up on a list like this.

13. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

I'll gladly die on the hill defending the two Sabbath albums, In Through the Out Door and Night in the Ruts.

14. Jeff W. Richman

Jeff W. Richman The Richman Curse www.soundclick.com/qoquaq

Tormato is an excellent album.

Terrapin Station and razerx like this.
  15. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I like it as well some pretty good covers - "Sorrow" and "See Emily Play" in particular

pwhytey likes this.
  16. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

The Doors - Other Voices isn't that bad. There are some really good songs on there. Of course if Jim was around and sung them, they would've been even better. But, I doubt Jim would've agreed to sing them. LOL

Now, on the other hand, except for one or two songs, Full Circle deserves its hate.

Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla is their debut album and were still finding their mark. But there are a few songs on there that are really good and still get played at concerts on occasion. Traces of the signature twin guitar attacks of K.K. Downing and Glenn Tipton were present and also Rob Halford's signature high pitched screams. The album gets hate because they hadn't found their footing yet and the album is mostly blues infused Hard Rock instead of their Metal Anthems they are known for. That being said, it is one of my least favorite JP albums (bottom three along with Turbo and Nostradamus.) Their next album, Sad Wings Of Destiny, puts this and all other albums to shame. It's one of my all-time top 10 albums of any genre.

CCR - Mardi Gras. As said earlier in this thread, it's not bad, but compared to all their others it does seem bad. John Fogerty's songs at least keep it from being a stinker.

Both Black Sabbath albums listed aren't bad either. There are a handful of great songs on both albums. Take the best songs from both albums and combine them into one and you would have a great BS album that would rank with the best of their catalog.

LZ - ITTOD shouldn't be on this list. There are 3 great songs on it along with a few fun songs too.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  17. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

For my personal tastes Top 5 Bowie albums so big disagreement here.

[​IMG]
    Bowie ‎– Pinups
    Label:
    RCA Victor ‎– PCD1-0291
    Format:
    CD, Album, Reissue
    US
    Released:

notesofachord, pwhytey and Sean like this.
  18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I really enjoy the two Can albums, especially the one with the Traffic guys. I'd probably rather hear Can do oddball funk than pure avant.

notesofachord likes this.
  19. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

Apparently these people didn't get the word about "Having Fun with Elvis on Stage".

20. RC1

RC1 Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with Bowie Pin Ups or Zeppelin ITTOD as far as I'm concerned

Sean likes this.
  21. Driver8

Driver8 Forum Resident

Bob Dylan - Self Portrait
    David Bowie - Pin Ups
    The Beach Boys - Carl and The Passions, So Tough
    Wings - Wild Life
    Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door

I like all of these and even *really* like So Tough. Clearly these all rate low compared to the quality of these artists remaining output, but they aren't even close the worst music of the 70's

Where's Byrdmaniax by The Byrds? (I like that one too)

Man at C&A and Sean like this.
  22. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Self Portrait is my favorite Dylan album. The two Sabbath titles are excellent, especially Technical Ecstasy. The Lou Reed appeals to people who like noise (note: I am one of those people.) The Charles Manson album is pretty damn good and "off the wall," but its rep is going to be tainted by other extraneous circumstances. That Aerosmith album is underrated. Early Kraftwerk is early Kraftwerk. A "different animal" than what they were to evolve and "perfect themselves" into but still good. The Led Zeppelin title listed here is unimpeachable.

bekayne, Terrapin Station and Sean like this.
  23. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Agreed. Some odd and shrill production qualities might detract from what could have been "better" with different choices made or maybe more time taken to "get it right," but this is a highly underrated album.

jwoverho and Sean like this.
  24. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I'm confused as to what this list is. Are these, according to the RYM ratings, the worst 25 albums of the 1970s? Because I'm sure I could come up with 25 that are worse than most of these.

Of these, I've probably heard around half of them. Of those, the only one I'd say is truly awful is Love Beach. Metal Machine Music is its own thing entirely and not really conventionally "rateable". Is it good? No, not to me...but I do get what Lou Reed was going for and can appreciate the perversity of it. The two Dylan albums have their moments but aren't great by any means, although probably a bit better than their reputations. Mardi Gras is bad, with only two Fogerty songs to save it.

I wouldn't say that any of these (that I've heard) are great albums, but certainly LPs like Prince's For You, Wings' Wild Life, Yes' Tormato, Bowie's Pin Ups, the Captain Beefheart album, and even the Zeppelin one (definitely their weakest) have a few high points that belong among each artist's better work.

25. El Nuevo Rich-o

El Nuevo Rich-o Forum Resident

I love 'Night in the Ruts.'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.