S&G one more time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dbryant, Mar 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just saw the Simon & Garfunkel in Central Park show on PBS and was thinking I might pick up some of their stuff on CD. I did a search in the archives and found a consensus favoring the MoFi Bookends and Mastersound BOTW. And Steve said the current remastered BOTW "works". But is there any consensus on the earlier material? This ain't my most favorite music in the whole world, so I'm not sure I want to get into chasing stampers and bidding on eBay right away. What else "works"?

2. Ronald

Ronald Senior Member

If you are into LPs, you can find all the S&G LPs in big used record stores at cheap prices. I find the sound quality of almost any pressing to be acceptable to excellent. If you are fortunate, you can probably find the BOTW Columbia half speed in a stack.

I find the Classic Records re-issue of Bridge to be very good. I have not listened to the Classic 45 rpm pressing, but others (Sckott?) have chimed in with their support.

As for CDs, I have the Collected Works box set. I don't find the sound of the box set as good as the LPs, but the songs might be worth a listen.

3. Matt

Matt New Member

Well, if you're not that into the music, just get the current pressings. The earlier stuff is remixed (BOTW and Bookends are the only albums that were not), and while they aren't the absolute best, they're probably good enough for you. Personally, I'm not a big fan of their recordings before "Bookends," either, so the handful of singles on "The Best of Simon & Garfunkel" are good enough for me.

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I have the new boxed set, the MoFi "Bookends" and the CBS Mastersound of "Bridge over Troubled Waters" on vinyl.

I think the boxed set is pretty enjoyable, particularly the early albums. In a head to head of "Bookends" from the remastered box set versus the MFSL, there is no question that the MoFi is well ahead. No question.

I'm afraid that I was slightly disappointed with the Mastersound BOTW LP - I was particularly wanting to hear the title track in its best light. Surprisingly, all the other songs on this pressing are pretty good, but the title track does not open up as much as I'd like when the big ending comes. Seems dynamically constricted. I'm not selling it since I bought it ages ago when it came out and I paid bugger all.

I'd like to hear the Classic Records version - may have to truck on down to The Analog Room and hassle Brian to put it on the big SME-Koetsu-Wavelength-Avalon rig.

Regards,
    Metralla

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Keep in mind we were talking about the Mastersound *CD* of BOTW.

As much as people here like to diss the remixes of the first 3, they are really your best bet on CD. A lot of stuff on Collected Works sounds really wonky - bad sources, mixed with added echo in places (check out the end of Mrs. Robinson on that set).

Of course, good vinyl will sound pretty good...

6. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

I had the old (midprice) Sony/CBS CDs for at least five years, and now I have been listening a lot to the new remasters/remixes. All things considered, they are the lesser of the two evils on CD, IMO.

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have the Classic Recs 45RPM of "BOTW" and I think it's nothing short of amazing in dynamics and realistic feel. However, I've yet to compare it to an early <=360=> Columbia pressing, as people do get gooey over those and claim those seem to be best. I've yet to make that comparison. I have an early CBS Holland pressing of BOTW on vinyl and the Greatest Hits, same kinda issue. Both are good, but I'm very happy with the 45rpm'er. Very realistic, great presence.

The other big "OMG!" is the MFSL "Bookends". Holy crap! Aquire this one if and when you can, if you like S&G a lot.

And yes, there are lots of mint <=360=> and reissue pressings of S&G that sound really good. In CD land, it's a confusing mixed bag, but supposedly the new CDs out now are the best yet. I haven't bitten on that though....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.