sacd and dvd-a - how do accomodate both in your system?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jymn, Oct 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon Thread Starter

sacd and dvd-a - how do accomodate both in your system?

2. sgb

sgb Senior Member

If you have to have both, you might want to consider one of the many universal players out there. Yamaha, Pioneer, Panasonic, Marantz and Phillips all make one. There will be more around Christmas time too.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Those universal players cost more than a SACD and DVD-A player put togeather. Of course I am talking about bottom of the line models.

I don't know of a switchbox that is commercially available.

Luckily I actually have inputs for three disc machines (aux, tape loop and a connection direct to the amp).

4. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I have both an sacd and a DVD-A player, so my predicament is how to switch the 6-channels analog inputs for the amp. Mmmmm..... Pretty inconvenient ...

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Oh - six channels? I am running in 2 channel only.... for six or five channel, I'm dead....

BTW, welcome to the Forum!

6. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Precisely why I said you need a universal player if you have to have both formats.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Ahhh, now I understand! :)

8. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Actually, I have two separate players for SACD and DVD-A. I had to resort to using three separate Sony Audio/Video three-input swithcboxes. I've got the players hooked up with 2 channels into each switch, my SACD in the '1' inputs and DVD-A in the '2' inputs. Whenever I want to switch from one to the next, I simply select the appropriate inputs on each switch and voila! Since each switch can accept three components, I have room still for a third component if needed.

9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Or you can buy 2 radio Shack audio/video A/B switch units (part 15-1952 $13.39 each) that will take all 12 inputs (6 from the SACD player, 6 from the DVDA player) and then output 6 cables into the rear of your Reciever.

When I listen to SACD, I press the A switch.
    When I listen to DVDA, I press the B switch.

Works rather well I must say.

I've always been very impressed with DVDA multi-channel, but now that I have added a SACD player (775) , sacd also has some very tasty multi-mixes.

Email me if you go this route, I'll be able to explain more indepth on where the cables go.

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Or you can get a DJ mixer which is how I have my turntable and my digital cable connected to the stereo in my bedroom and you can hook up your SACD player and DVD-A player in it as well. My bedroom system now sounds better than the stereo in the living room and I have the only working turntable in this house and it is the Gemini. www.northernlightfx.com has all the info you need on different DJ mixers available.

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Or, you can use a TAP-9000ES pre-amp from Sony ES. I have one for my DVD-A and SACD player. You hook your pre-amp up to this as well and it switches from your pre-amp (bypass) to either of the two 5.1 inputs for which it has a volume control and channel level adjustments. This is my favorite piece of geat because it is so flexible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.