SACD - Are you surprised at the format's recent resurgence?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is correct converted to PCM is NOT redbook cd. Alex Peychev of APL hi-fi told me as much.

2. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Physical format is a niche market now.

3. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Not according to Nielsen Soundscan, where CD, for the moment, still reigns as king.

Digital sales have levelled off.

4. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

When we start getting more new music on the SACD format, I'll agree that there is a resurgence.

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

plenty of new classical recordings on SACD

6. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Post #9. I understood it that way. What was your intention then?

7. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Actually, Steve didn't write it is the only one. The key word is "like".

"Also, unless you have a wonderful player "like" a first generation Sony which is a true DSD player ...."

8. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Second that. I have the entire first set of AP Blue Note discs, and have subscribed to the Impulse series as well. (I'll pick and choose after that.) Nevertheless, psychologically I just cannot pull the trigger on the $60 discs.

While I enjoy jazz, especially from the 50's and 60's, it makes up a comparatively small part of my music collection. In this context, I have to say that given the sound quality of my jazz SACDs and DCCs (including not only the discs mentioned above but also a bunch of Miles Davis discs and some others - maybe 80 discs in all) I am pleased to have a satisfying core library of great jazz music with great sound.

9. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Same here and that's why I'm almost glad they cost that much because it takes them completely out of consideration thereby saving the money for something more financially palatable, like the AP Blue Notes etc.

10. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Has it ever ocurred to you that their high price is precisely the reason why they are being released?

11. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

I get your thoughts, but must point out that wanting better resolution and better dynamic range is, effectively, focusing more on the music than those people who don't give a darn about those qualities. After all, sound is the medium that carries the message in music. If it sounds like crap, the message has been soiled, no matter the style of music you prefer.

WDeranged likes this.
  12. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Ye olde Pioneer 565a (563 in the US, IIRC) plays DSD without PCM conversion, although it is through its analog outs.

13. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

If you set them for bass management and distance compensation, you can be sure that DSD has been converted to PCM.
    I don't know of a player that can perform both on the DSD domain.

14. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, I know. All my speakers are set to large and distance compensation is done at the amp level, not inside the player.

I think that any of these adjustments on any player needs conversion to PCM because DSD just can't be tweaked. That is why technologies such as DXD (24/352.4 PCM) came to be, in order to be able to tweak DSD format files by porting them to PCM.

15. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

DSD Direct

An effective solution for Pure DSD playback is to use an SACD player with digital DSD output and a receiver which can accept DSD and decode it directly into analog.

List of SACD Players with Pure DSD Digital Output
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1155206

List of AV Receivers & Pre/Pros with Pure DSD to Analog Processing
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1230824

(and how to play back SACDs the PURE way)
    http://groups.google.com/group/surr...-pre-pros-with-pure-dsd-to-analog-processing/

"We want as little as possible happening in between the disc spinning in your SACD player, and your speakers providing the pleasure to your ears."

16. I bitstream DSD through HDMI to my Denon AVR-4310ci Receiver, which also carries the Direct Stream Digital conversion chip and does the bass management instead of the player...I have Sony and Yamaha blu-ray blu-ray players that play back SACD and act as digital transports for the DSD signal. It ain't rocket science and only requires one cable hookup from the player to the receiver to accomplish this!!!:wave:

17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Is this an "effective solution" for multichannel sound?

18. Yep...the receiver does both the D/A conversion and bass management duties without mucking up the DSD signal!:righton:

19. EddieVanHalen

If distance compensation is donde on the amplifier, then the incoming DSD signal is converted to PCM, there's no way to do distance compensation on the DSD domain, and I personally doubt your amplifier or A/V Receiver has an old fashioned analog line of retard which would be expensive and introduce much noise ala old-times Dolby Prologic.

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

As far as I know if the player or the AVR/prepro is doing any form of bass management or distance compensation the DSD signal is converted to PCM.

If you mean that the DSD signal is not being converted to PCM I believe you are wrong. If there is a D/A conversion the DSD signal is being mucked up ;).

Bill

21. EddieVanHalen

Right and right.

22. korowa

korowa Active Member

SHM-SACDs

Considering the premium price, I agree with Steve that they should clearly spell out where they sourced the material and who was involved with the technical side of things.
    Does anyone know where they sourced the Monaural masters for the Miles Davis Quintet series (Relaxin', Cookin', Workin'). Both Relaxin' and Cookin' are in better condition than Workin', well, I just picked up Workin',, thats from my initial listen.

Has Workin' been released on SACD before?

23. My Denon receiver's front panel and HDMI video displays both read back as "Multichannel Digital Input DSD", so I have no reason to believe that I'm not reproducing full resolution Direct Stream Digital bitstream with proper bass management for surround playback. I also have a Sony SACD-555ES dedicated player in my system so I know what proper DSD resolution sounds like...I'm getting it in multichannel with my current equipment!!!:winkgrin:

24. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

There's a huge difference in soundquality between pcm conversion and pure dsd over here.

More noticeable than any high end cable, power cords, etc. :)

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident