SACD - Are you surprised at the format's recent resurgence?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Jul 19, 2011.

1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Are you going by highest price that it sold for in Discogs or the middle average.

scobb likes this.
  2. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I’m more surprised by this thread’s resurgence as SACD is all but dead… :yikes:

3. olinko

olinko Forum Resident

Of course, PCM rocks :)

4. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

We're talking about different aspects here. SACD for single disc. BR audio were issuing single disc titles, and that slowed to a trickle. The only one is recent memory is the new Tears for Fears, and look how that turned out.

You answered your own question. These are almost exclusively being put out in boxes. (Anyone mixed by Steven Wilson dies this too.)
    Btw, the only one Stones title had BR was the Ghost Head Soup. They skipped it for Tattoo You.

Meantime, MFSL is tackling the Eagles and Van Halen catalogs on SACD.

Jagger69 and bruce2 like this.
  5. Funny thing, I think I have purchased more SACD discs lately than regular discs. I’ve purchased six discs by Lyn Stanley, two by Patricia Barber, a Kenny Dorham, Otis Redding, three Eagles, Supertramp, Fleetwood Mac, Jennifer Warnes, Tony Bennett and a bunch of classical discs. I probably have about 700 total including all of the AP jazz series. If they never put out another title, I would still be set for the rest of my life.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  6. jacek2 likes this.
  7. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

The Discogs prices are absolutely misleading. As-new/sealed SACDs (like the first round of Sony titles) typically sell at auction on UK eBay for considerably less than £30 and have done for years. It's a total rip-off, denizens of ebay go absolutely nuts for them, but it's not like anything's changed as of late.

There are obviously idiots with lots of money who buy them at high fixed prices shown on Discogs but I'm not convinced the prices have increased lately, if anything, they have declined.

8. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I’m a little surprised about it but I’m happy.When it is done right it is a great format that is emotionally involving and not fatiguing. SACD, when done right, is like a marriage of the positive attributes of both analog and digital.

9. Totally agree, SACD to me is the perfect compromise. I have no intention of going back down the rabbit hole of vinyl at my age. Besides, my wife would probably put out a contract on me if I even suggested it. ;)

NiceMrMustard, chaz, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  10. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

This year I have also been buying almost exclusively SACDs, way more than CDs.

11. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I'm in this primarily for surround but do have a fair amount of stereo discs. More recently, in a typical year, I buy about 50% new releases and 50% previously released stuff.

Checking my Discogs account, I purchased 40 hi-rez / surround discs in the last 16 months. Of the new releases, there were two DVD (Cyan, Jethro Tull), one SACD (Mr. Big), and the rest were on Blu-Ray. I didn't buy any hi-rez stereo discs last year.

I love my SACDs and have a closet full of players to support my SACDs (alongside my DVDA's) long after the format is dead, but Blu-Ray is really where it is at right now.

Audiowannabee and Jarleboy like this.
  12. MikeJedi, ispace, Jagger69 and 6 others like this.
  13. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

So cool !! AF was going to do it before AF closed down ! Pleased to see this ! I will be ordering :)

ispace and Jarleboy like this.
  14. Say It Right

For those predicting demise of the format, there sure has been a recent uptick in release announcements.

15. Mr. Afternoon

Mr. Afternoon Well-Known Member

The reason mainly being it's still the most efficient way to deliver 5.1 on disc. Or high-res for that matter in general. BD is still much more expensive to produce and author.
    For a large artist Blu-ray makes sense, but for everybody else, SACD does the job (unless you have a crap ton of bonus features).

Blair G. and Jarleboy like this.
  16. Say It Right

MFSL, IR and whomever else were largely frozen out of getting their titles pressed on SACD over the last 2 years.

It doesn't take much to hear complaints here if something isn't out pronto. When it finally is, you hear brids chirping.

Jarleboy, ispace and Mr. Afternoon like this.
  17. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Why would be more expensive to produce a Blu Ray disc? Just curious.

Mr. Afternoon, Jarleboy and ispace like this.
  18. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

From what I have read, it is combination of licensing, production (authoring, mastering etc) and finally reproduction. There is only facility in North America that makes them any more. I have heard many times that it costs twice as much to produce a Bluray vs. a DVD. It's hard to remember sometimes but the SACD is basically a DVD running on different software. The first SACD demos from Sony came out in 1999 IIRC.

Mr. Afternoon, jfeldt and Jarleboy like this.
  19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Thanks. The reason I asked is because what you've written about video Blu Rays is most certainly true. For every video disc, Sony gets a percentage (since it's their technology), which would certainly increase costs. I've also heard (but cannot find a source), however, that audio only Blu Rays do not require paying Sony a percentage. IF that's true, it would likely not be any more expensive to produce an audio only Blu Ray than it would be to produce an SACD (at least, I can't imagine that it would be significantly more expensive).

Mr. Afternoon, ispace and Jarleboy like this.
  20. Mr. Afternoon

SACD production costs lower than you'd expect. Can't say more than that without getting into trouble. Audio-only Blu-rays are actually MORE expensive to produce than Video Blu-rays in my experience simply because unlike Video Blu-rays, Audio Blu-rays have to do certain things that can only be authored in higher-end software rather than lower-end software that's more commonly available. For limited runs and lower quantities, SACD makes way more sense financially. You could author a Video Blu-ray with no video content, but it wouldn't neet PABD/HFPA standards and you'd still run into the Blu-ray costs way more as a medium in general bit.

Edit: Royalties are there for ALL Blu-rays, regardless of format. SACD is basically a souped up DVD with some physical differences and encryption.

21. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

In that case still wondering why the music industry is releasing nowadays more albums at blu-ray than at SACD.

Blair G. and Mr. Afternoon like this.
  22. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

This industry is making illogical things. They are selling Ultra HD Blu-Ray at 30€ (at least, so more than 40$), they are killing physical format by insanes choices. The right price should be 20$.

I'm agree with what has been said, SACD is the perfect compromise ... I discovered their sound just because my first CD player was also a SACD one, so I tried.

Echo, Jarleboy and Mr. Afternoon like this.
  23. Mr. Afternoon

We're still getting 600-ish SACD releases a year compared to the 50-ish Blu-rays.

Galley, exoendria, Echo and 2 others like this.
  24. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Blu-rays are nowadays also often to find in deluxe editions of albums, so many more than you maybe think...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    Mr. Afternoon likes this.
  25. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I suspect more people out there know what a Blu-Ray is and have the hardware to play it.
    Having said that, the target audience (all of us) likely have the ability to play both