SACD - Are you surprised at the format's recent resurgence?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Jul 19, 2011.

1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

100% I wonder who or what is holding something up?

Jarleboy and Isamet like this.
  2. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

Will SACD get hyped like vinyl? Very unlikely. Physical media itself is doing ok, but a more fair comparison to vinyl would be CD. It’s more reasonable to wonder if CD will one day get as hyped as vinyl. That’s entirely possible as the casual vinyl listener who’s fueling the surge grows tired of what a pain vinyl is to maintain and the absurd prices, and will look to CD for a physical media alternative.

Vinyl had its hey day, followed by cassette, and then CD. SACD never had a hey day, it has been extremely niche since day one. To put in context, there are millions upon millions of CD titles on the market. SACD has only had something like 10K titles total - ever. And why would the masses ever care about the benefits SACD provides???? They have not ever cared, and it’s very unlikely they ever will because on the average system, SACD provides zero benefits over the less much expensive CD version.

SACD will be doing well to exist as a niche audiophile market. I do not believe streaming will do in SACDs because the audiophile SACD buyer will continue to prefer the sonic advantages and material connection that only a physical SACD can provide.

Even as a SACD enthusiast myself, the fact remains that a well mastered redbook CD on a high end CD player can sound every bit as good as a SACD.

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I disagree! When I listen to a violin or piano, no well mastered CD can’t capture the sound.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thread title needs an update...from 2011!

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. DancingSea

I can say that the quality of the CD player makes a huge difference. If you had an $18K Luxman CD/SACD player, you might have a different conclusion.

siebrand and Jarleboy like this.
  6. shokhead

Not a fact at all. You may think that and that’s fine but it’s not a fact.

7. DancingSea

Hey, I’m an SACD enthusiast.

But when a format has only ever had about 10,000 titles in its 23 year history, it’s delusional to think it’s poised for a vinyl like revival.

SACD will do well to continue to exist as a niche audiophile medium. I certainly hope that it does. Though I’m growing bored with the typical SACD new release titles. Almost entirely old folks music.

Jarleboy and Echo like this.
  8. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

Can't have a resurgence if you never had a surgence.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

ibity bibity canal boat...

Jarleboy and DancingSea like this.
  10. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Well, yes and no. If you want to feed a SACD DSD signal directly from the player to the receiver, bitstreaming is an option. But usually you can't hook up a PC to the receiver and get bitstreaming. Unless you have some reasonably esoteric equipment and even then usually only stereo is available not 5.1. So a DSD file is usually sent to a receiver as PCM which somewhat reduces the value of DSD.

Playing back in stereo on a digital audio player is another matter of course.

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. originalsnuffy

It is true that a well produced / mastered CD can sound very good. But in my experience not only can a SACD improve upon that, but (heresy coming, warning!) in my view provides a better medium for listening to a reproduction of the original tape than vinyl. I really don't like surface noise.

12. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Well, except you can't lose your SACD in a hard drive crash (which is much more likely than, say, a house fire or theft of your discs).

13. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Agreed. The simple fact that there are WAY fewer SACDs out there to fuel a resurgence compared to vinyl. It's not even close. Throw in SACDs that were only sold in Japan, HK, etc., and the supply gets even smaller.

Jarleboy, DancingSea and wellhamsrus like this.
  14. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

An SACD can have a non-zero resale value, and be perceived visually and physically. It is also less likely to have audible watermarking.

That said, I would welcome and prefer non-watermarked files with the same masterings as an alternative.

15. originalsnuffy

Unless of course you store your music on a NAS like a Synology which has raid protection.

Spaceboy and jhm like this.
  16. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Definitely, but that can get pretty pricey. So can fireproof storage for physical media (if one wanted to). A big rabbit hole to potentially go down, for sure.

17. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

backups are not optional. and if you're ripping SACDs instead of buying dsd downloads you're not selling/destroying the SACDs generally afterwards anyway, at least I'm not. having both discs and files is handy for flexibility, but no matter what backup your irreplaceable files!
    <edited for clarity>

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
    Jarleboy and jhm like this.
  18. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I agree, but it seemed like originalsnuffy was talking about buying DSD downloads instead of SACDs. That's why I was making the point about hard drives. I also rip all of my physical SACDs for computer playback as I've got a nice DAC hooked up to my computer.

Jarleboy and elvisizer like this.
  19. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

that's why I lead with backups are not optional . . .edited to make it more clear! :)

jhm likes this.
  20. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

maybe I'm an outlier but I've been sending DSD as DSD to my very-not-esoteric onkyo receiver since like . . .2010? at that point it was a little unusual to support DSD natively on the receiver but looking at AVRs again last year, every single one I considered from denon and marantz supported DSD natively.
    the weird thing here is assuming you'd need to hook the computer up to the receiver to do this- i can send dsd to my AVR either via the network or by connecting a HD directly to the receiver or my blu-ray player. but anyway, even a computer these days wouldn't need anything esoteric, just an HDMI output and those are super common these days.

21. DancingSea

After 14 years of files on a hard drive, I’m all about physical media these days. It sounds better and is more fun to collect and organize.

22. shokhead

1000%

Jarleboy and DancingSea like this.
  23. DigitalSupremacy

DigitalSupremacy Compact Disc warrior

If there is an SACD resurgence it's only due to hybrid layered SACD's coming into prominence.

Even as a huge digital media enjoyer I really dislike SACD's 1) it's super anti-consumer locked behind DRM 2) The SACD's are rarely ever the best mastered versions available and often times quite underwhelming unless it's jazz 3) I can't actually hear the difference between my SACD rips when I knock them down to 16/44.1.

24. originalsnuffy

Actually I was pointing out the benefits of physical SACD media in my response.

jhm likes this.
  25. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

I did a bunch of SACD collecting when I got my Marantz player about five years ago, but hardly any recently. I’d rather have vinyl