SACD/DVD-A/MP3/DVD-V for 179$!!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RetroSmith, Jul 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krabapple

krabapple New Member

Actually the 45a has the following:

1) the audio DAC for the front channels of multichannel, or for 2-channel playback, is the TI(Burr-Brown) PCM1738EG-3 , which I would guess is similar or equivalent to:

http://www.ti.com/sc/docs/news/2001/01028.htm
    http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/pcm1738.html

It appears from the technical data (in the .pdf files) that this chip can operate in both PCM and DSD modes. Someone who understands schematics and EE-talk can perhaps verify/explain it better.

There's some amusing comparison notes from TI about the PCM1738 on this page:

http://www.promax.dk/download/data/Semi/BurrBrown/PB_PCM1738.pdf

2) there's two more DACs, one for the L/R surround and one for the Center/LFE channels. These are both TI(Burr-Brown) DSD1702EG, which I assume are similar or equivalent to:

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/dsd1702.html

This, too, supports PCM and DSD formats. I haven't scrutinized how it differs from the PCM1738 though.

The decoding chips are

SACD: Sony CXD2753R

DVD-A: Motorola XCA56367PV150 (look up 'DSP56367' on the motorola site for info)

2. Koui

Koui Forum Resident

Pioneer to use Philips’ SACD chip solution in advanced DVD

Philips Electronics announced that Pioneer Corporation will use Philips’ Super Audio CD (SACD) single-chip solution, the SAA7893HL chip into its $179 DVD Player (DV-563A-S).

Press Release

3. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

Excellent!!! Sounds like this unit will be "the one to get" when it comes out!!!

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

After reading this exhausting informative thread, I agree, it does appear to be the one to get! I was hoping for a cheap All-In-One!:thumbsup:

5. S&V said that the 45A had BM on ALL formats. Well, yeah, but its not CORRECT in all formats.

Example 1: Users with all large main speakers and no sub. Great for DD/DTS, SOL for DVD-A and SACD. The .1 channel is NOT redirected to the mains as it should be (I think there is an AVS thread that reports the same deal with the Denon 2900).

Example 2: DVD-A media, such as Chesky recordings that are 4.0, and users with small mains + sub. Sorry, SOL. Bass is NOT redirected to the sub channel.

Example 3: The 45A, like pretty much all Uni players has an issue where the level of the .1/sub channel is about 10 dB down from the other main channels. This can usually be dealt with with channel trims, but no mention of it in S&V. Does it strike anyone as odd that the max sub output with DD reference tones is only .9 volts? IIRC, there are decoders in players and receivers that put out 7 to 8 volts, worst case.

Putting that aside, I use the 45A with an ICBM, and I am happy as a clam with it. I have no previous SACD experience, so whether or not various other players are better is unknown to me.

And FWIW, I bought the ICBM because I require an 80 Hz crossover in my system, NOT because of the faults previously listed. Then again, when I learned of those problems, I was even happier that I bought an ICBM.

I can say that with good recordings, everything sounds good to my ears with this player, and that includes even Red Book stuff.

And don't take my word for any of this. Search around at AVS and the HTF. There is lots to read about the 45A. Its a great player when coupled with an ICBM, but standalone, it has some fatal flaws, IMHO.

BGL

6. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

I've bought one of these Pioneer all-in-ones and I'll be ecstatic to share my findings when it arrives. Not that I don't know there are better players for SACD etc., but this'll be a painless way to get into it.

Postscript after reading all of this thread:

Not that I don't have a sort of sickened feeling at buying something that someone as expert as Steve has deliberately warned against!! (cringe) ... But my speakers are $300 Wharfedales, so perhaps the whole point is moot.

7. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

It was too much pressure! I've canceled that order and bought a Sony!

Well I thought you all needed to know ...

8. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

:laugh:

I am sure that most of us here are familiar with the problem of cold-feet when making an audio purchase.

9. RetroSmith

Does the Sony do DVD-A?

10. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

No Sonys do DVD-A in Hi-Res MLP. Of course, they will be able to playback the DVD-V portion of any DVD-A, such as any dts or DD mixes, 96/24 linear PCM, etc.

11. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

No, but as it turns out I don't want any DVD-As that are available so far!

12. RetroSmith

Gotta plan for the future, bro. Plenty of great titles will be on DVD-A.

Maybe The Beatles!!

13. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

What kind of music do you like, Li'l Fred?

14. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

You shoulda tried out the Pioneer. For under $175 its worth a shot to see if you'd like it.

15. RetroSmith

Absolutely!!! hell, you could have used it as a DVd-V player even if you hated it!!! for 175$ you gotta take a chance.

16. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

I see your point, but what I've bought was only $250, and it's a DVD-V player too, which isn't THAT much more.

I listen to a lot of kinds of music but the kind for which I want hi-res is rock/pop. Funnily enough, in classical it just doesn't matter to me that much! Though when George Szell's Mahler 4 comes out on SACD, I'll be there.

17. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

I've got a hunch DVD-A isn't going to make it. As for the Beatles ... yes, that's the jackpot. But it's not clear that EMI/Warner titles are going to appear on DVD-A exclusively. I was surprised to see that Steely Dan's Gaucho is coming out on SACD.

18. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

1) Gaucho is not a Warner title.
    2) Gaucho, along with a bunch of other Universal titles, are also coming out on DVD-A. http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19485
    3) There are rumors that Warner may be holding back some titles pending the release of a new 'flipper' format that is DVD-A on one side, CD on the other. Regardless, many new Warner titles are likely in the pipeline but not released yet.

I don't see DVD-A going anywhere soon.

19. RetroSmith

Makin' It

>>>>>>>Hmmmm. I dont know about that. I think it may be the reverse!!

This past weekend, I was in Best Buy and saw all the DVd-A disks, and the SACD disks.

The DVD-A disks ALL had a sticker saying "Plays in ANY DVD player". The SACDs ALL had a sticker saying "Plays in Special SACD players only".

I think, in terms of a mass market product, that DVD-A has a leg up on SACD because of the Huge installed base of DVD players.

I think DVd-A disks will be the mass market product, and that SACD disks will become the niche audiophile market, which has always existed, all the way back to the early days of Hi Fi. (remember the Enoch Light 35mm Lps)

Of course, with quality combo players available for as little 162$ that even play MP3s, things could change, and BOTH formats could find their niche.

My own feeling is that consumers REALLY didnt want either format, they wanted downloadable, portabilty and no spinning disks.

20. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

As long as their is DVD-Video 5.1 set-ups in homes (obviously a growing trend) then DVDA will stick around since anyone can throw on these discs and groove to REM or Metallica.

If DVD-Video was a fad then I could see DVDA being in trouble but since almost everyone in the near future will have some sort of Home Theater set-up, DVDA makes sense.

I know that anyone who comes over to my house and hears my HT wants to buy one soon too! Movies are one thing. They sound fantastic but when I throw on a DVDA or a SACD, wow, their ears perk up.

21. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

You're right. I was confused. I thought Universal/Vivendi was Warner/EMI.

The spectacle of these coming out in both formats is exactly what makes me more confident about having only SACD capability. I'm pretty sure that when the Beatles catalogue is remastered, EMI won't pull its punches by pushing only the DVD-A.

While *I* just don't SEE it anywhere! You know, most music lovers, even intense collectors, have not heard of either format.

22. Randu

Randu Senior Member

Re: Makin' It

Howz that???

23. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Re: Re: Makin' It

The dvd-a tracks aren't playing in every dvd player, but the discs also contain DD and/or DTS tracks that can be played on dvd players not equipped to handle dvd-audio.

24. RetroSmith

Not only do they play, they sound damn good!!!!

25. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hey Steve,

Aren't the Philips machines really DSD? :confused:

-Jeffrey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.