SACD: I hope I made the right decision (players)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by anthony_b, Oct 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthony_b

anthony_b New Member Thread Starter

I already have DVD-A, so I wanted to give SACD a shot. So I ordered the ce775 for $169.99. The competion was the c222es @ $379. I compared them both on SACD and I couldn't tell the difference. As for Redbook I'll be using my recievers DAC.....but using the two channel analog there was maybe a slight edge for the ES, but not $210 of a difference. I know the ES is built better and feels better but, I play music mostly one or twice a week and I think I'll be bying more multichannel music as time progresses. I'm using MID-FI components for playback (ONKYO/POLK) so I don't think I was going to benefit that much from the ES sound.....And with the money saved I need to buy the switch boxes to use both dvd-a and SACD formats and also more cables !!!....;)

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

You did the right thing, friend. Always make it worth your while.

We're hoping for lots of SACDs for Xmas...

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Yep, good choice! I also turned down the 222ES as it was only two channel. The 775 is multi channel, as you know.

Enjoy!

4. anthony_b

Gary, the c222es has an analog 5.1 connection, I beleive it's a Multi-channel component. :)

5. danstone

danstone Senior Member

Anthony,

Can I ask where you ordered the CE775 from? I'm trying to locate one of these, but all the stores that I'm trying both locally and online are out of stock with no more expected to arrive. Any leads are greatly appreciated.

PM me if that's preferable.

Thanks,

Dan

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The only ones available in these parts are store demo models, FWIW. I snagged one from a local Best Buy yesterday for $125, as a matter of fact.

7. anthony_b

danstone, I purchased it from MusiciansFriend.com as of Friday they had 19 new in stock. $169.99

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Oh - then it was the 333ES that I turned down! :o

Thanks for the correction, Anthony! :)

9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The 775 is an excellent player.

10. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I found a Sony 775 in the box about a month ago at a Circuit City, and I really enjoy it.

Also consider that the 775 is a really great 16/44 CD player (good to know just in case the SACD format goes the way of Betamax!) I've been enjoying old cd's I haven't listened to in quite a while with this player. I'm sure it's not magic, but I am digging the music so I really don't care why, know what I mean? Even for a cd player, the price is right.

I do however, for whatever reason, seem to enjoy the SACD's more than the DVD Audio discs, don't know why. SACD just seems easier I guess. I hope the Stones SACD's spur The Beatles' camp into action. Wouldn't it be great if they put those Beatles records out as nice flat transfers, monos and stereos? Maybe I'm deaming.....

Michael

11. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Both Todd Fredericks and I are enjoying our 555es's still. a bit more money, but then it probably depends on your associated equipment. For what you have you made a good choice . A 222ES is just a 775 with armor!

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Anthony, as I said on another forum, I think you got a very good player for the money. I prefer the 'C222ES, but the bottom line is that you will be enjoying SACD for a mere $169. Can't beat that. Let us know your impressions of SACD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.