SACD lovers, do you have Fennell conducts LEROY ANDERSON on Mercury Living Presence?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Just a reminder before this vanishes forever, the Mercury SACD, 3 channel, stereo with CD version is a wonderful sounding disk. Really, it's great. I gave about 50 of them away as Xmas gifts about 6 years ago but this might be out of print.

Three recording sessions, one in '56, later and then '64. Quality varies but none less than good. Better find one before they all vanish, it's a real audio showpiece for some of the songs. I'm not sure what the correct catalog number is for the SACD version. Can someone post it here? Could be 475 6942. You should be able to find this pretty cheap.

This is the SACD version of the CD release compilation from the 90's that was programmed (and remixed) by Wilma C. Fine. It's a killer diller. Great program music, wonderful dynamics, fun to listen to, great to crank and impress friends with how good your stereo can sound. Get it while you can.

If you can't find it, get the regular Mercury "Living Presence" CD version. That's out there for 5 bucks. Sounds great.

RiRiIII and jfeldt like this.
  2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Thank you for your recommendation. I am going to have to look for this.

3. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

Thanks. I have the original CD release. Will have to look for the SACD. The catalog number for the SACD is 475 6942 according to SA-CD.net.

It's hard to listen to "The Typewriter" without thinking of Jerry Lewis...

4. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

It is one of my favorite Mercury LPS. IIRC the SACD is consisted of three MLPS albums.
    From my experiences, it is not that easy to find an SACD copy cheap.
    The RB CD is still fine.

5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I do not have this one. I only have 5 Living Presence SACDs.

7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Better performance IMO

[​IMG]

8. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

I have this SACD along with a few other of the Living Presence titles, and really enjoy it. Unfortunately these SACDs are getting harder to find.

9. Steve Hoffman

Totally disagree.

10. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'll have to look—know I have at least one Frederick Fennell 'Living Presence' LP. While I can't honestly recommend this one for the sound—I'll have to play this again later today and jog my memory—this is lovely music by Holst, Handel and Sousa, beautifully played by the Cleveland Symphonic Winds:

[​IMG]

12. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Yep, I own this one. I'm very annoyed that I didn't even discover the Mercury SACDs until after they were all out of print, so I only have a handful. I think that every single one of these that I have heard sounds better than the RCA living stereo SACDs.

13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Jaysus, a hundred quid on Amazon UK.

14. Steve Hoffman

Really I paid 10 dollars, seems like just a few years ago. A shame.

Get the old CD version if you can't find the SACD, it's also wonderful and is under 5 bucks. Same songs, same order, demo quality sound, easily cranked, if needed.

15. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Re Fiedler/Boston v. Fennell/Eastman
    I disagree, too. Fennell is much better, and redbook CD is totally fine if SACD can't be had. I wouldn't sweat it. I believe there was an old Abravnel recording on Vanguard, too, reissued on Analogue Productions 180g LP?? Haven't heard it, but don't expect it would be competitive, performance-wise.

Funny, just this week I bought for pennies another copy of Fennell Conducts Anderson, Vol. 2 on orig. Mercury LP. The music is better than the sound!

16. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

To my ears, BPO sounds too thick for the music of Anderson, after hearing the Fennell's renditions.

17. The SACD appears to be long OOP.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1...ic_of_Leroy_Anderson-Hybrid_Multichannel_SACD

Ran an eBay search. There is one copy for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fennell-Con...661?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4f9ff836b5

BIN - Price:US $163.41 :eek:
    Is the CD still in print, or easier to locate than the SACD?

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Love this music, Frederick Fennell's recordings for Mercury are still my favorites. Still have the LP originals in mono and the SACD. Essential and should be in every audiophile library. Demo worthy material.

19. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

That title was part of the BMG Club offerings before it vanished; it seems like all the single discs were $6. I got that one and the 2 disc Mercury Nutcracker Suite SACD set as well.

20. Steve Hoffman

Folks, if you can't find the SACD, grab the CD, it's wonderful as well. I still have mine..

RiRiIII likes this.
  21. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

There's one or two of the Mercury SACDs that are still available for a reasonable price, but the bulk are long OOP and pricey when they show up.

22. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Got it! (On redbook) for a pittance. Blaring now.

23. Steve Hoffman

Enjoy it. Many varied short pieces on there. "Program Music" at its best. Some of the best things are near the end..

24. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

It's way out of my price range now, for a recording I've never heard. Too bad, because the recs sound pretty great.

25. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Had the pleasure of seeing and meeting Frederick Fennell at his last concert with the Eastman Wind Ensemble and RPO here in Rochester, NY at the Eastman Theatre, a few years back. What a lovely man he was. He was about 5'2 with long white hair, and very nostalgic about his recordings with Mercury, all done at the Eastman.