SACD lovers, do you have Fennell conducts LEROY ANDERSON on Mercury Living Presence?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 2, 2012.

1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Didn't realize it was out of print, cause as soon as Steve posted, I bought a SACD copy from acoustic sounds. Thanks Steve. Sounds great

2. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Yes, it's great; so is the CD version which is available in the Living Presence 50 CD box.

3. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Not in the box.

4. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Saw this thread when it started, JUST before I started getting into classical music, and couldn't find it again to figure out exactly which release Steve was talking about. I knew Leroy Anderson, and that was it. Looked in several stores, but no luck. Now this thread has been bumped again and I just found a CD copy on eBay for $8.75. Whew! Don't really care about the SACD since I only am set up for two channel.

5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Having now lived with this CD since shortly after the thread began, I was delighted to have the opportunity to listen to the SA-CD yesterday afternoon, when a friend visited. The latter simply trounces the CD (good as it is) and is a sheer delight to listen to, showing what can be done with the format with the right material and mastering. Absolutely gobsmacking!

6. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

I got this SACD several years ago from yourmusic.com before they went downhill. They had this, a couple of Janos Starker SACDs, and a 2-disc Nutcracker. I think it was $5.99 per disc.

7. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

8. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I just found a used copy of the SACD and it cost me $50 bucks! Steve's strong opinion on a release like this makes me know that it will have been worth it. For what it's worth, but I believe that the best mastering work that Steve has ever done are those SACD Nat King Cole discs. I still endlessly ask just HOW it is possible that the folks at Capitol and especially the people that make up that Frank Sinatra Enterprises, have not approached Steve to do the same to the Sinatra catalog and other worthy Capitol releases! Shameful to have someone who finally gets it dead on, on how to release these old master tapes, with such care!

9. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

I picked up a cheapish copy of this SA-CD, indeed the later recordings in particular are really nice - it was fun disk to put on at Christmas!

10. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I have the CD but passed on the SACD as the only copy I ever saw for sale had a cracked case. I have a couple pressimgs of original LP too.

11. Beech

Beech Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up Steve.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Played mine yesterday. Wonderful music.

rbichamp likes this.
  13. Jskoda

Jskoda Forum Resident

I've only been able to find 2 of the Mercury SACDs in all my travels, but the BMG club version of the Leroy Anderson is one of them.

The tricky thing is the BMG club version (at least mine) comes in a normal CD case rather than a rounded-corner SACD case, so you have to pull it off the shelf and look carefully to notice it's an SACD.