SACD on the cheap

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by lil.fred, Mar 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lil.fred

lil.fred SeƱor Sock Thread Starter

What do you recommend for a cheap way to get an SACD player ?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Scour Best Buy in your area. I think the CE775 models are ALL gone, but there are shelf models that do both SACD and DVD that can be had for under $115 or so.....

But please be careful of the floor models. The apes that run the place love to jump up and down on em..

3. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I saw a Sony CE775 floor model at the Best Buy in Natick, MA over the weekend for $149. So there may still be a few out there ...

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The CE 775 is the underdog performer from heaven. If you can get one, get one.

5. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Sckott's right ... If I didn't already have a CE775, I'd have grabbed it!

6. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff Guest

I second and third that.
    I have a CE775 and love it. It also plays CDs half decently too. Jef

7. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

We're a couple of months away from name-brand sub-$300 combo players that play DVD-A and SACD.

Of course, we don't know how they will sound yet...

8. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

Steal a good one!

Seriously, the cheap players that i have heard sound just that. Occasionally there is a real bargain available, but generally speaking you get what you pay for.

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I'm happy with my Sony 775. For redbook, it is easily better than my old Panasonic.

I'd look around for a Sony 222 or 333. A bit more than the 775 but, like Mick says, you get what you pay for. Usually.

10. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

The 775 is a dream come true.

The Best Buy in Dale City, Virginia had a floor model for sale a couple of weeks ago. Might be worth a call.

11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Try to get a 'CE775. If that doesn't work, look for the Sony SCD-C222ES, which is a step-up model from the 'CE775. The 'C222ES retails for $500, but you should be able to get it for around $350 through Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), or OneCall (1-800-340-4770). All three are authorized Sony dealers.

If you are still looking for something less costly than the 'C222ES, consider the Sony DVP-NS755V progressive-scan DVD/SACD player. Best Buy and Circuit City have it for $250, and it sometimes goes on sale for $237.

Michael alluded to a couple cheaper universal player (DVD-Audio and SACD) coming down the pike. Pioneer will be releasing the DV-563A later this year for around $270, while Zenith will be releasing the DV-318 for about $200 this year. They might be worth checking out. I read that the '563A will convert the DSD bitstream to PCM, but I don't know if that is a definite.

12. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

My 775 is still doing fine! Great machine.

JohnG

13. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

775 here too. You can't go wrong with this one for the price if you can find one. Redbook plays very fine too. I have moved all playback completely to this unit. Good luck!

14. DaveD

DaveD Member

http://home1.gte.net/res0f2t3/sacd.htm

Matthew Anker is modifying the SCD CE775, and other Sony players. I bought his prototype 775 with his complete set of stereo mods and it is wonderfully refined. So, if any of you 775 owners want to upgrade, this is a very cost effective way.

I have just visited his site and he has a modified used 775 for sale. I say, snap it up!

There is a link to the review of his mods from Audio ExPress magazine on the site. The reviewed unit did not have all of the mods that he is now doing.

A very cheap way to get SACD would be to buy one of the Sony budget players that he is modding and then save up for the mods.

Matthew is a 16 year old hard-boiled audiophile who builds his own electrostatic speakers and modifies his Crown amps. He did a paper for a high school class which attempted to get his peers interested in SACD instead of MP3 garbage and multi-generational stealing--er--burning of music. Imagine that.

Dave D

15. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I've been to the Best Buy in Chicago twice, looked around the store and they have not one SACD player. They only have a few CD players for that matter. I wonder if this store just doesn't sell enough to carry anything. I really don't want to engage a salesperson as it has been my experience that this is just a waste of time.

Anyway I have looked on Ebay and saw one 775 up for sale, but being used, and I assume not warrantied I am debating whether it is not better to buy the 222, discounted to about $350 with a warranty.

16. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I was going to mention the DVP-NS755V. Best Buy and Circuit City do indeed sell it for $250, but it can be had from Music Direct http://www.amusicdirect.com for $225 (+ S/H) and they will also give you with purchase of this unit 10% off all SACD's for a year.

17. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I was considering this, too. They used to be right down the block from where I work but they moved. I used to run down there at lunch and pick up stuff. They moved and I don't know if they allow walk-ins anymore. Met the owner and his wife at a BBQ a couple years back. Nice guy, but gave me dirty looks if I complained about noisy vinyl. Took my business elsewhere.

18. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Shakey,you can walk in at Music Direct.I do it all the time.You have to ring the bell.You would never know what it is to look at the outside of the building.318 N.Laflin St.Two blocks north of Lake St. and two or three blocks east of Ashland Ave.

19. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Matthew Anker is 16 years old??!?!!

Holy smokes, this is a seriously talented young man.

Chris

20. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

>Matthew is a 16 year old hard-boiled audiophile who builds his own >electrostatic speakers and modifies his Crown amps. He did a paper for a >high school class which attempted to get his peers interested in SACD >instead of MP3 garbage and multi-generational stealing--er--burning of >music. Imagine that.

I hope his paper did not fall on deaf ears. Is it available per chance?

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.