SACD player - better with analogue or front chanel outputs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by antonkk, Feb 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Hey guys,

Speaking of Sony HT receivers: Mine's the 845. How does one make use of the "analog direct" soundfield? My receiver does nothing when I switch to this setting. On any input. When I say it does nothing, I mean nothing changes. The receiver stays in my prior setting, usually 2ch Stereo or the AFD.

Help please?

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Scott,
    That sounds odd, but on my 895 there is a separate button on the front of the reciever, and on the remote, that activates the multi-channel analog in. But as far as the digital display on my reciever's face plate, there is no indication that you have just changed modes. You just know that you have changed modes because the music also changes.

3. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Hi Rocky,

Actually, I'm referring to the soundfield settings. My 5.1 analog input is selectable just like the other inputs. The soundfield settings are selectable on the remote control, viewed in the LCD display of the remote. When one is selected, the display on the receiver indicates such. Except for the Analog Direct choice. Nothing happens. They are in this order:

2ch Stereo
    AFD
    Analog Direct
    Normal Surround
    etc...

I'll try to dig out the manual as well...

4. therockman

Scott,
    If I understand correctly, you are trying to apply sound field settings to your analog input. There are no sound field settings using analog input because this mode bypasses all DSP circuitry, and connects your input straight to the preamp volume control, all analog, no DSP.

5. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Thanks for reminding me. I can also disable the sub w/ the 2CH button on the remote. When I tested the CD 2-channel input that way vs. the 5.1 input, I couldn't detect a difference. So, it's easier for me to just use the 5.1 analog input for all music. That way, I don't have to switch the receiver when I go from 5.1 SACD, 2.0 SACD, or regular CD.

My remote also has an analog direct button, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I tried it on both the 5.1 analog and CD inputs. I couldn't hear a difference. Because it's not mentioned in the receiver's manual, I figured the same remote is also provided for better models that do have that feature.

Doug

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

ok, so now I am really confused. When I play stereo sacd's thru my multichannel input, I don't get any sub. When I play it thru the analog stereo jacks I do. Am I still getting tru analog or is it passing thru some digital stage? I read something here once regarding this, he said you shouldn't get sub with SACD stereo. :confused:

7. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Hey Rock,

No, I know you can't apply any DSP through the 5.1 analog inputs. I'm not trying to do that. I was just curious what the "analog direct" soundfield does.

Hey Dave64,

The only time you'll hear your subwoofer working throught the 5.1 inputs is if you're playing a source that contains subwoofer information, i.e. a 5.1 disc. Playing a 2ch only disc through the 5.1 inputs will only provide music to the 2 front mains. Using a subwoofer on a 2ch source is possible, but not through the 5.1 inputs. Bass frequencies are routed to a subwoofer only by DSP done by your receiver.

I had my Pioneer 563-A connected to my receiver 3 ways: 5.1 inputs, 2ch cd input, and digitally via an optical cable. But I recently put my older Sony 5 cd changer back into service on the 2ch cd input. (I missed the convenience of shuffling 5 discs; plus the much easier programming logic of the Sony 5cd changer). I now only use the 563-A for SACDs and DVD-A/Vs.

Don't freak out, but I've even been listening to the cd layer of some of my Hybrid SACDs.

:goodie: :agree:

8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

So does this mean I am introducing digital into the chain somewhere? Am I losing the analog nature of the 2 channel sacd going thru the 2 channel? My amp allows me to switch the DVD input from digital to analog, so I am guessing I am still getting pure analog.

I'm not as well versed on all this digital/analog stuff like you guys. That's why I wouldn't call myself a true audiophile. I just love great sounding, good music.

9. therockman

Daved, the whole thing about the SACD music chain is that the average SACD player has internal D/A converters that changes the DSD information into analog information. This analog information is then transfered to an outboard pre-amp via RCA style analog cables. Thus, if you run this analog information into your reciever so that you introduce DSP circuitry, then you make an additional A/D conversion, so that the information can be preocessed through the DSP circuitry. After it is processed, this digital information is once again converted into analog information before it can be amplified. Thus you have introduced two additional conversions on top of the original D/A conversion. Not necassaily bad, I do this on occasion, but it is not the ultimate way to enjoy SACD music.

10. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

I don't know whether using the analog stereo outputs from the SACD player to the analog pre-amp inputs on my receiver results in an additional A/D to D/A conversion or not. I don't know how you could tell without asking the engineer who made the receiver.

But it seems to me that the amp could have an analog crossover for the subwoofer.

What I do know is that if you using the multichannel outputs from the SACD player with the front channels set to either large or small into the multichannel inputs on the amp section of the receiver (which bypasses ANY processing) results in no subwoofer output.

11. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have a Pioneer 45a Universal Player. I listen to Cd's through my 5.1 analog inputs. I don't have my 2 channel inputs connected, just 5.1 and digital coax. I do get bass out of my sub when listening to 2 channel music. The only time I do not is when I set my Yamaha 1400 to play music 'Direct Stereo'. The lights dim on the front panel of the Yammie and no sub is heard. Sounds just like the analog inputs but with no sub. Since I have small speakers I kind of need the sub. I don't want to keep having to switch my speakers from Large to Small depending on the source material so I just keep them on Small so the sub kicks in.

PAT

12. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Dave,
    I think I can summarize.
    1) 5.1 analog outputs = no DSP in receiver - you'll get sub signal on 2.0 and 5.1 recordings only if you set the speakers to small in the player, but that debatably involves some additional unwanted DSP in the player;
    2) 2CH or L/R outputs = will probably receive DSP from the receiver - the posts above seem to indicate that some receivers can shut off DSP (analog direct) from the 2CH inputs, but you have to select that option; some receivers don't have that option.
    Doug

13. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Geoff,
    Thanks, I'll cruse too The Cruz!!!

14. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Hey ED, I thought I'd lost you. ;)

15. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

I WAS lost, & now I am FOUND!!!

Thread Status: