SACD release schedule....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mal, Feb 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist Thread Starter

This is SONY's list of "upcoming releases":

http://www.sonymusic.com/cgi-bin/gx...?cat=fid_048+db_0+df_35&t=artists/sacd/uplist

So, do they have plans to release any new titles?

What about the other labels, EMI for example. I know they have a few releases on the Virgin label. Some odd choices there - how about some of the more popular titles?

I've been surprised by the slow trickle of titles so far - let's hope things pick up soon......

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Funny webpage.

Basically, it comes down to legal issues and money issues.

Example:

Sam and I have a handle on several potential nifty Hi-Rez titles, but even with the stuff that has been approved for us, there are "artist involvement" issues and royalty issues and general money issues still to be worked out. These things take time---months and months. Sigh.

Even mighty Sony is just burping along here and believe me, they don't want to d*ck around like this. Trust me. Those Sony SACD dudes are probably pulling out what little hair they have left now.

3. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

Quite a number of small record companies are embracing the format, but it's quite true that they don't have the big name rock artists.

It's every SACD owner's biggest complaint: Not enough titles yet.

4. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

It looks like that page isn't being updated at present. However, there is also this page http://www.sonymusic.com/music/newreleases.html where there are a few upcoming SACDs listed. Unfortunately far too many of them are merely multi-channel versions of current stereo SACDs. Still, the Mary Chapin Carpenter should be a good one.

5. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist Thread Starter

Re: Re: SACD release schedule....

Does anyone know if this is the Anesini remix :)mad: ) or not?

I have a sinking feeling that any Byrds and Simon & Garfunkel SACDs will be the remixes :( .

7. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I checked out that page and what I find very ridiculous, is that they are releasing Sade Lovers Live on MiniDisc. :rolleyes: Does anybody else find that odd? It's the only MiniDisc release listed there, and why MiniDisc and not SACD? I do own a MinDisc deck, but I'm certainly not going to buy any pre-recorded ones over CD or SACD.

8. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Check the Excel spreadsheet of SACD discs available worldwide over on the Super Audio CD Shop web site at http://www.superaudio-cd.com/. It shows over 570 SACDs available to date.

On the Multichannel SACD side, there are 120 available worldwide and almost 90 available in the US. Check my web site at http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/bmoura/msacdnow.htm for a list of the current and upcoming titles with release dates.

As for upcoming SACDs, Sony has been releasing new ones almost weekly lately. So the pace is picking up.

And then there are the release plans of Universal Music Group, Telarc, Chesky and others. Some good SACDs now available (like today's Sony SACD release by Mary Chapin Carpenter) and more are coming.

9. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Steve, this is what drives me nuts. Sony and Bob Dylan's managment have given Sundazed full access to the very earliest generation masters and the right to issue vinyl mono and some stereo disks. If someone with your talent and Sundazed's talent for finding the right masters is in place, and with the right hardware to make it sound good, why is not a DSD hard drive recorder also in place to preserve the master for future release on whatever format, including SACD? Seems like there is no master plan in place to preserve the masters or to release SACD's. :confused:

10. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

There may or may not be any plan for SACD releases, but DSD was developed by Sony many years ago expressly for the purpose of archiving their tapes. I think they started using DSD to do this beginning in the mid 1990s. Sony knows their tapes are priceless.

I would be very surprised if Sony hasn't already transferred all Dylan masters to DSD.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I would say Sony FINALLY knows there tapes are priceless. I'm sure they are making good use of the DSD process to archive tapes.

12. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

Remember, Sony bought Columbia and other assorted companies. Sony can't be blamed for what happened before their watch.

13. Richard Feirstein

Reality check. Steve and the Sundazed team but found that so called earliest masters provided by Sony were not as labled. Both found what they needed because they knew better. Sundazed even whet to Sony's stroage vault to locate the boxes of tapes marked "do not use", etc. It can be assumed that the vinyl projects and CD projects that emerged and are going to emerge were derived from the correct earliest best condition masters, usually for the first time. It is also assumed that no DSD preservation effort was part of those efforts. We can't assume that anything Sony did duplicated those efforts; or we could just shut down any Sony connection to Steve and the Sundaed team right now (and just use them to master vinyl if Sony has no interest).

I guess I don't understand.

A remastered HW61 is about to hit the street from Sony. Let's see if they duplicate what Steve did or even outdue Steve. This should tell us something.:rolleyes:

14. GoldenBoy

Which format?

Is that supposed to come out on SACD or just redbook? Maybe a Hybrid even?

15. Richard Feirstein

Red Book only! It was said to ship to me on the 26th so I will post what I hear when I get it.:o

16. GoldenBoy

That's absolutely ridiculous. Are they trying to kill SACD or what? I mean, they still release stuff on MiniDisc for crying out loud! :rolleyes: And they don't put Highway 61 on SACD? What gives with those morons?:confused:

17. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Many have wondered who at Sony Music is selecting the titles to reissue on SACD. We'll hope that when Universal Music starts up their SACD releases this Spring that they make a bit more sense.

As for continued MiniDisc releases, I think that bodes well for the SACD format. Since it shows that Sony is committed to sticking with software for the formats they develop - through thick and thin.

18. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

Steve, does archiving tapes using the DSD process replace needing the actual tape?

Or is it just useful once a master tape is no longer usable?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.