SACD Ripping Help (On a Blu-Ray Player)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AL01, Oct 27, 2021.

1. AL01

AL01 Eh? Thread Starter

Try as I might, but the last 30 seconds of every SACD I try to burn on my Sony BDP-BX510 are corrupted and end up crashing Foobar2000 (and is cut off when it is converted to a different file.)

I went from a 4GB USB flash drive to an 8GB and it made no difference... Tried various downloads of Auto_Script and it made no difference...

... I simply tried again multiple times but for some reason the same issue happens.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Just tried it on a 3rd USB stick,(this one holds a hilariously small 2GB) and the same issue happens...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Is the ISO file split? I don't know anything about ripping with newer hardware. I still use a PS3. The PS3 is limited to 4GB files since it uses older FAT32 hard drive formatting. I use HJSplit to merge the files that are created on larger rips that exceed this limitation.

3. AL01

AL01 Eh? Thread Starter

No, the ISO file is not split as I am ripping a MFSL SACD which only holds two channel audio files.

4. Isaac McHelicopter

Isaac McHelicopter Possession is a clue but not the game.

Have you tried converting the ISO to DSF files with ISO2DSD? It would be interesting to see if the last track is corrupt.

bru87tr likes this.
  5. AL01

AL01 Eh? Thread Starter

I converted them using Foobar2000 to Wav, (or FLAC).

The last 30-40 seconds of the final track of every SACD I rip freezes when played as an ISO or has the corrupted period cut off when it is converted to a Wav file, etc.

I played the SACDs in question on my Blu Ray player and there are no issues whatsoever.

EDIT: Cannot get ISO2DSD to run on my PC.

I installed another addon for Foobar2000 that converts the ISO to DSF files; the program crashes when reaching about 70% or so on the last track. I can only assume that it is (partially) corrupted.

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I use an Oppo 103 to rip SACDs with the Sonore - ISO2DSD application (correct term?). I've never had an issue with rips freezing or any other related issues. Not sure what issue you're having trying to load iso2dsd_gui onto your PC. I didn't have any issues with an HP laptop with Windows 10. I'm totally computer noob but seemed to get it work fine.

7. AL01

AL01 Eh? Thread Starter

I am not doing a wireless transfer but am doing the old school USB rip.

Let me try it out, and I will post an update...

EDIT: What file do you use to run the application on your PC? (Is it a .jar?)

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm not sure how a rip direct to a USB device works. But all my rips are sent wirelessly to my laptop then transferred to several WD Passport 2tb hard drives. Again I'm not well versed with computers but with the help of a fellow SH member I was able to get started. You might already have used the links below but thought I'd post them anyhow.

I used this program...

Sonore - ISO2DSD - converts ISO files to DSD

This was helpful as well...

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

jmadad, FJC1966, Jules HKG and 3 others like this.
  9. AL01

AL01 Eh? Thread Starter

Regarding the programs in the post above:

You need to download Java on your PC if it does not run otherwise.

It seems as though that my PC does not connect to my Blu Ray player...

... And so the saga continues.

UPDATE: My unit blanks out, (all laser activity on the unit stops and it only spins the disc) when trying I connect it using the wireless software, (ISO2DSD or SACDExtractGUI).

10. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

How are you getting the ISO without ISO2DSD?

11. AL01

AL01 Eh? Thread Starter

I can't seem to get ISO2DSD to connect to my player.

There is a new program that is evidently better, so I am trying to use it.

Still no success...

LINK:Rip SACD with a Blu-ray player

12. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

That looks like the same thing, from Sonore.

Anyway, my curiosity was regarding how you have ISO rips already that are not working. How did you rip the ISOs without using the Sonore method?

13. AL01

AL01 Eh? Thread Starter

I used 'Method 1' which worked well for me except for the aforementioned problem ( a partially corrupt last track).

It appears to work fine on other machines though.

M1ke2345 likes this.
  14. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

So I successfully ripped the SACD layer of a SACD using my Oppo BDP-105 and ISO2DSD. I then converted the resulting files to FLAC (24/96) using dBpoweramp.

Is it normal for the FLAC files to be so quiet? They're much quieter than the CD layer.

The SACD is the AP Are You Experienced Hybrid SACD.

PhantomStranger and TheRealMcCoy like this.
  15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have found the same issue recently. Someone far more knowledgeable on this suggested that additional gain needs to be applied with the program used to do the DSD to FLAC conversion. I personally have not tired it as it's a bit over my head.

The below is from this thread I started.

Converting DSD files to FLAC (computer noob alert!)

[​IMG]

AL01 likes this.
  16. bubba-ho-tep

For now, I'll just use Audacity to amplify the audio. I'll keep my eyes open for other solutions, though.

Kyhl likes this.
  17. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Imo that is the best route if you have to change it PCM. SACD was supposed to be 5 or 6 db down. I don't remember which. The reality is it was done by ear so it could be 2.5 to 7 db in my experience. I used to use Audacity for this.

bubba-ho-tep and Bill Mac like this.
  18. kentucky_slim

kentucky_slim Forum Resident

Do you have access to a Linux box or can you build a Linux VM?

The application to rip SACD works 10000 times better in my experience. I extract from a Sony blu ray, dont remember the model, across my network and output as .dsf. Never had an issue with approximately 100 rips...even from .iso as well when I dont have the physical disc.

19. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Yes, this is normal because the clipping level for DSD is not very clearly defined like it is for PCM. So they have to give the PCM files some additional headroom to ensure that the converted PCM signal never clips.

But this can be easily fixed after the fact by just normalizing the resulting PCM file. The only real downside to doing this is that it adds yet another step to the ripping process.

bubba-ho-tep and Bill Mac like this.
  20. bubba-ho-tep

A couple of questions if anyone can help:
    • Using ISO2DSD, I extracted the DSD layer of After Midnight by Nat King Cole and saved it as an ISO file. However, when trying to split out the tracks into individual DSF files that I can convert to flac, only the first six tracks are being extracted before the job execution is terminated. The combined size of the six extracted tracks is 786 MB while the size of the ISO file is 2.8 GB so all of the audio appears to be present in the ISO - ISO2DSD just isn't extracting all of the tracks like it should. Any advice?
    • A bigger issue is that my Oppo BDP-105 stopped recognizing optical discs of any kind after pulling the DSD layer from several discs. It was working fine, then - nothing. I've already sent the player in for Out of Warranty repair and expect to have it back in my hands in a couple of days but I'm concerned that extracting the DSD files from the discs did something to crash the player. Then again, it could have just been the player's old age kicking in. Should I be concerned?

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I would guess that there is an issue with the optical drive of your 105. I tend to doubt that was caused by ripping SACDs. Oppo will normally give a detailed report of the issues found and the parts needed to correct those issues. If they report the optical drive was defective then that would be your answer.

Out of curiosity did you try playing music from a hard drive or USB thumb drive to see if the player was totally unusable? I have several Western Digital 2/5TB hard drives loaded up with music mostly DSD rips of SACDs. If one of my Oppo players stopped reading any discs I would try playing music off of the hard drives to see if it's just a disc playing related issue.

22. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Did you completely power down the Oppo and reboot it? It might simply be that it locked up in ripping the (apparently) faulty ISO.

Kyhl likes this.
  23. bubba-ho-tep

It looks like all of the other functions of the machine are fine - it’s just reading the discs that was a problem.

I tried the power-down and reboot with no success. Additionally, I tried playing back the problem ISO file in Foobar2000 and it hung up on Track 6. I will re-rip when my player is back home. Hopefully, that issue will be resolved.

24. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

I have a beginner’s question that I thought I might post here for help. How do I get the file SACDExtractGUI.jar to open? I installed Java Runtime Environment on my CPU (running Windows 10 Home), but nothing happens when I double click it. Is there a particular .exe that I need to set it to open with?

I managed to get the AutoScript onto the USB stick, but getting the program to open on my desktop has become the sticking point.

Thank you!!

25. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

No, it should open by itself. Do you have all the other necessary files in the same directory as SACDExtractGUI.jar?