SACD ripping, Mac/Oppo. How, exactly?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gd0, May 15, 2017.

1. francisco gaston

francisco gaston Member

I have bought an OPPO103D thinking in ripping sacd, but the firmware is 8550 instead of 8580. So I am not able of ripping since the tray does not open when introducing the usb stick with the Software.
    Do anybody knows if that firmware it is feasible to do the ripping?. I am looking for another oppo with the 8580 firmware an reselling mine.
    Thanks for help.
    Javier

2. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

The firmware version should not make a difference.

3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Just in case, you have to copy the whole AutoScript Folder on your USB stick. Not just the 3 files in it.
    And as tmtomh said, the firmware makes no difference.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    tmtomh and Simon A like this.
  4. francisco gaston

francisco gaston Member

Wolfram and Tmtomh, I have done with correctly format for USB :FAT. File in the root, as well loading the autoscript with the three files, and so on. As read in other forum (avs forum) it is required MT8560 for: Pioner BDP-160 and 170 as well as for Pioner BDP-80FD, and Pioner bdp-lx 58/98 and as well for the Cambridge Audio 752 bd/oxu. For Oppo 103 , 103 D and Oppo 105 and 105D in the loader version in Firmware it should be the 8580 .
    You state that the version of the firmware does not matter, but have you personally done with the 8550 in the Oppo?.
    In the other hand anybody can confirm if the chip 8580 is as well valid for Pioner and not only the 8560?.
    In all method both for windows and Mac it is said that the ray shall open when introducing the usb.

5. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I only have the Oppo 105, but the loader version on mine is 8550. And I'm pretty sure that it has been confirmed that no firmware version so far for the 103 and 105 has had any effect on the SACD ripping capability.

So you copied a folder called "Autoscript" containing the 3 files on an otherwise empty USB stick and nothing happens? I just tried it again on mine and the tray opened as expected. Not sure where the problem lies, but I'm sure it's not the firmware.

francisco gaston and tmtomh like this.
  6. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I'd like to know that for sure as well. I haven't installed the very latest firmware for my 105 (November 6, 2015). I have the next-to-last version, but want to be sure I don't mess up the ripping capability on my unit.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    francisco gaston likes this.
  7. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

The most recent firmware was installed by many folks (including me) and it didn't cause any SACD-ripping problems.

8. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Yes. I have a 103 and a 105, keep the firmware on both of them updated and both have no problems ripping SACDs.

9. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Thanks for the good news on the firmware. :edthumbs:

tmtomh likes this.
  10. francisco gaston

francisco gaston Member

thanks a lot to you all confirming it is not a problem of 8550 loader version. I will re start the all process and try again.
    It is a good news for me since I have not to resell the unit I bought
    Javier

wolfram likes this.
  11. francisco gaston

francisco gaston Member

Great.You are right, it is not a problem of the firmware version. The problem was that I did not put the autoscripfile in the root of the USB. Wiht Autoscript file with the three files into it, now the tray opens automatically when introducing the USB.
    So i ahve confirm what you said it is not a problem of the 8550 losder version.
    Thanks for help to all.
    javier

tmtomh, PhantomStranger and wolfram like this.
  12. francisco gaston

francisco gaston Member

Ripping the sacd I realize that they are DSF88Khz. Is it normal, or choosing another format instead of Sony i can get higher sampling. I am surprise that a sacd, is only 88khz and not 256 as I expected.
    Any comment on this?
    Thanks

13. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The .dsf file should be in 1-bit 2.8224 MHz form.

What are you using to play the files? Where are you seeing 88.2 kHz?

14. francisco gaston

francisco gaston Member

15. francisco gaston

francisco gaston Member

Black, after correctly ripping the sacd with Sony DSF, I realize when opening it in my AMARAA with MAC, that it appears 88khz. Is that normal? In the other hand i do find the metadata with image of the sacd.
    Should I use another output?. I reproduce with my Amarra downloads of 2,8 and 5,6

16. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

You may need to check the configuration settings within Amarra for your music interface, and your DAC. I can only tell you that in JRiver, .dsf files appear as filetype dsf.

17. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

SACD files - whether a single ISO, or DSF files, or DFF files - are in DSD format. A sample rate like 88.2kHz is a PCM sample rate, and applies to a ripped SACD's files only if those files have been converted from DSD (which, again, can be ISO, DSF, or DFF) to PCM (which can be FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, etc).

My guess is that Amarra is automatically converting your DSF files to PCM, or else the 88.2kHz is Amarra telling you that when it plays the DSF files, it's going to convert them on the fly to 88.2kHz PCM.

When you convert SACD DSD files to PCM, you can in principle convert them into almost any PCM sample rate. In practice, however, SACD files almost always are converted to 176.4kHz or 88.2kHz, because those two PCM sample rates divide evenly into SACD's native sample rate of 2.8224Mhz, therefore making the downsampling easier and cleaner.

If you can hear the difference between 176.4kHz and 88.2kHz sample rates, then more power to you - but it's extremely unlikely (IMHO) that a difference can be heard between the two, and so 88.2k is the more sensible option (again, IMHO).

PhantomStranger and Simon A like this.
  18. francisco gaston

francisco gaston Member

Thanks a lot.
    True, Amarra , up to now (they are promising an upgrade on this) , is converting to PCM instead of reproducing DSF. But In my downloaded files from HD Tracks, it is converted to 176.4 . We have been listening today with friends and , yes we can hear the difference between the 88 and 176 although subtle. In my DAC Weiss I can reproduce up to 384 and it decode DSD signal.
    One question,the standard SACDs which type of DSD are using?
    I will see if I can use JRiver and see the difference. And as well contac tAmarra and know . I believe that you get better quality if the bitstream reach the DAC without any previous conversion.

19. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Is this your version of Amarra?

Amarra Luxe

NOTE:

Listen to your DSD files using realtime DSD to PCM conversion

Listen to your DSD files using DSD to PCM conversion (or Native DoP coming soon!)

You need a program which has support for DSD to hear your rips properly.

SACD uses DSD64.

tmtomh likes this.
  20. Hearing the difference depends on the noise floor of your system.

21. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Noise floor correlates to bit depth, not sample rate.

22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Sample rate also affects the noise floor in over-sampled systems.

PhantomStranger and Ham Sandwich like this.
  23. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Can you use the pioneer 80fd to rip cds to usb, too..? I have a particular cd set that xld will not rip...

24. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

No.

25. Dalziel53

Dalziel53 Senior Member

I am having the following problem ripping SACD's from my Oppo BDP 105. I have made the connection to the player (ethernet attached). I am using the thumb drive which works as described in all of the descriptions. I am using the ISO2DSD app which connects to the player and looks like it starts the rip but just sits there on the first track. I have tried this with a number of discs and get the same result (stuck on the first track) each time. I am running the BDP10X-83-1226 firmware on the Oppo.

Any ideas?

Thanks.