SACD ripping, Mac/Oppo. How, exactly?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gd0, May 15, 2017.

1. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Actually hearing that difference probably depend-on having some canine genes.

2. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

It has nothing to do with the firmware.

When you say it "looks like it starts the rip but just sits there on the first track," are you saying ISO2DSD's progress window starts spitting out info about reading Track 1 but then stops (like after 1% or 5% or something)? Or are you saying you can click the Execute button, but then nothing seems to happen?

If it's the former, my only guess would be an issue with the SACD itself, because I've never heard of the process actually starting but then hanging.

If it's the latter - it seems like it's started but you get nothing in the progress window - that's a much more common problem and can have many causes. Among them are:
    • sacd_extract executable/app is not located in the same folder of your computer hard drive as your ISO2DSD Java app
    • You have a Mac and are trying to use it with sacd_extract.exe (the Windows-only executable)
    • You have a Windows PC and are trying to use it with sacd_extract (the Mac/Unix-only executable)
    • The AutoScript on the USB stick is not actually fully running properly, resulting in the Oppo 105 mounting/controlling the SACD, preventing ISO2DSD from taking control to do the rip
    • You have Autoplay and/or Auto Resume set to ON in the 105's preferences, resulting in the 105 mounting the SACD, producing the same problem as noted in the previous item

3. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Simon A, Isaac McHelicopter and gd0 like this.
  4. Dalziel53

Dalziel53 Senior Member

It's the former. I have tried it with several SACD's and get the same result each time. Here is what I get from ISO2DSD. If you can see the image it shows that it reads all of the metadata for the disc and then says "Processing [track name] 1/15" then it just sits there. I've let is sit for over an hour with nothing.

[​IMG]

tmtomh likes this.
  5. Dalziel53

Dalziel53 Senior Member

I will give this a try also. Thanks.

6. Dalziel53

Dalziel53 Senior Member

PhantomStranger and tmtomh like this.
  7. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Excellent! :righton:

Dalziel53 likes this.
  8. I have an OPPO 105 and am able to rip SACD's with the method described here.

Will this also work with an OPPO 103D (Darbee edition) - or OPPO 105D?

9. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Works with my 103D.

rjstauber and tmtomh like this.
  10. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yes.

rjstauber likes this.
  11. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Stopped working on my 105.
    Ugh.
    Where's that site or post that lists the steps again?

12. Bucketfoot

Bucketfoot Forum Resident

Yep, I just got this up and running on my 105D yesterday!

tmtomh likes this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

For a severely computer illiterate dope like myself are there any YouTube videos on how to rip SACDs with an Oppo 103 using windows 7 :help::help::help:?

Wasabi likes this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There must be. "Search is your friend" as so commonly and condescendingly said.

I also need to break down and learn the magic steps. I have a 105D and everything else needed including the media with not so common titles. But I left the SACD ripping to a friend while I concentrated on the projects of those killer vinyl to 24/96kHz drops from oop and not on CD, not on any other format titles. Working together is a nice thing.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  15. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Kal's steps made it easy for me but I have always enjoyed messing with PC's. Search out his posts on Computer Audiophile ripping thread.
    First step is getting the Oppo scrips on the root of a usb drive and magically watching the drawer open when you insert the drive.
    Second step is getting your Oppo recognized on your LAN network through your router or directly from Oppo to PC.

Bill Mac likes this.
  16. Bucketfoot

Bucketfoot Forum Resident

It's not real detailed, but this video helped me. I'm sure I could have gotten the script working, but I went the Sonore ISOtoDSD route shown here and had all of my SACDs ripped in a day.

Since I literally just went through this, feel free to ask or PM me if you have any questions.

PhantomStranger and Bill Mac like this.
  17. Hymie the Robot

You still need the scrips loaded on a USB drive. Sonore ISOtoDSD is certainly the way to go! Sonore ISOtoDSD is step three with my method.

18. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I began by using the script-based approach but rapidly adopted the Sonore GUI because I can see what I am doing or want to do. Still, it took many months to rip my SACDs; In fact, I am still ripping....................................

19. Hymie the Robot

Confusing when their are different terms used. I always have called the files that goes on the root of usb drive scrips.

20. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Just follow my instructions here: SACD ripping, Mac/Oppo. How, exactly?

Bill Mac likes this.
  21. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

They are scripts, too. I was referring to the Telnet scripts on the host computer which are concealed/controlled by the Sonore app.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  22. Hymie the Robot

quicksrt likes this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Does ripping SACDs put stress on a player like secure mode can on ripping CDs on a drive? Or does it breeze through an SACD like a hot knife through butter?

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'm hoping it just "seems" like it and is not really. LOL

25. Hymie the Robot

Copy and paste your original steps here! Simple and precise...nothing has changed...or link to your post @ CA.

quicksrt likes this.