SACD ripping, Mac/Oppo. How, exactly?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gd0, May 15, 2017.

1. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

No secure mode needed but no hot knife either. Steady approximately 2.5 Mbps.

2. Hymie the Robot

Many of his steps are redundant when using Sonore ISOtoDSD.

3. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Once the set up work has been done, ripping is as simple as opening the .cmd file.

Dalziel53 reported problems ripping with the Sonore GUI app which were resolved when using the .cmd file, so I prefer to suggest what I know will work.

4. Hymie the Robot

What problems. If there are any with the gui, I haven't seen them. Again, whatever works.

Once the scripts on the usb drive are correct and your player is solidly on the network, the gui is cake and ice cream.

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

"cookies and milk" as they say!

6. Hymie the Robot

Cream > milk! :)

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, your fussiness over terms is going to make SACD ripping a royal pain for you, I can see that. :p;):nyah:

8. Hymie the Robot

Mine are ripped. It was simple. Don't use milk when making ice cream OR enchiladas! The pain is on Bill for now but we can get him through :)

9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have done a search for YouTube videos for SACD ripping and only found one that was with a Mac not a PC.

Thanks for all of the other responses :). But again I'm not familiar with computers. The terms I see being used such as LAN, scripts, Telnet, root of a USB drive and so on are all Greek to me. That's why a YouTube video tutorial would be great as I'm a visual type of learner. Hopefully once I figure it out it'll become second nature.

Does it matter which network is used? Does one need to connect a cable to the 103 or does wireless work? I have quite a bit of down time in work and could bring my 103 to work and rip the SACDs.

10. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I hear you, Bill - it's easy to do, if you already understand all the terminology and concepts behind the terminology. But if you don't, then it's easy to get stuck at one or more steps because you don't know what the instructions are referring to, or the instructions have skipped info that might have seemed obvious to the person who wrote the instructions, but is not obvious to you.

That said, I can tell you a couple of things:
    • The Oppo can rip SACDs via ethernet (connected wire/cable) or wi-fi (wireless); either way will work fine. The wi-fi method might be slightly (perhaps 10%) slower because of wireless vs wired transmission speeds, but otherwise the experience will be identical.
    • You can pretty much ignore all the Telnet stuff. Telnet refers to a way to communicate with a device on your network. But when it comes to Oppo SACD ripping, Telnet is just a way to confirm that you have a connection between your computer and the Oppo - and in my experience I could not Telnet into my Oppo from my computer even though I was able to rip SACDs just fine. So the point is, you can ignore Telnet because you do not need to know anything about it in order to set up or do SACD ripping from your Oppo.
    • Part of the process entails copying an AutoScript folder (and the contents of that folder) to the "root level" of a USB drive. "Copy the AutoScript folder to the root level" just means "copy the AutoScript folder to the USB drive - don't put the AutoScript folder inside another folder that might already be on your USB drive."
    • A script is just a file. (It's a plain text file that contains a series of instructions, which are used by an executable file, aka an application - but you don't have to worry about all that.) For SACD ripping, all you really need to know is which files need to be kept with other files. For example, the AutoScript folder has two files in it, and those two files (one of which happens to be a script, the other of which happens to be an executable) need to stay together, in that AutoScript folder.
    • A LAN is your Local Area Network - meaning it's just your home network. So if you have, say, two different computers in your house, and both are connected to your wi-fi, then they are both on the same LAN. So for SACD ripping, LAN is just about making sure your Oppo SACD player is connected to your home network (via wi-fi/wireless, or via ethernet/wire, either way). To connect your Oppo 103/105 to your home network wirelessly, plus in the USB wireless dongle, then go into the Oppo's settings to the network section (or whatever it's called) and enter the name and password for your home wi-fi network.
    I know this is far from all the info you need, but I hope this will clear up some points of confusion. Good luck!

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Matt,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post all this information! Much appreciated :).

quicksrt and tmtomh like this.
  12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

13. Hymie the Robot

14. Hymie the Robot

Once you get the Oppo showing up on your PC, you are home free!

Windows explorer, bottom left, Network.

Connect directly to PC using LAN cable (ethernet cable/connection) OR

Connect LAN cable to home router. OR

If you already have internet through your router, and you have a wifi dongle for the Oppo 103, connect that and go into settings in Oppo and connect to your internet.

If your Oppo isn't showing up in the network, it can't work. If it does show up, and it is designed to do this, like I said, you are almost home free!

soundQman, tmtomh and Bill Mac like this.
  15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks for your help :)! Your positive outlook is inspiring me to give it another go!

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

[/QUOTE]
    There should be an SACD Ripping with Oppo for Dummies guide. I've also noticed a fair bit of abbreviations and code names not spelled out for the novices. I also can make for serious downtime at work, and could knock out dozens of discs on the clock, but I need to know if internet is required (with the Ethernet to computer connection), as I don't do any "online" tagging or ripping stuff on company wi-fi. I just like my total privacy.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Can Oppo SACD ripping be done without an internet connection?

18. Hymie the Robot

Yes.

edit...Router with internet is sometimes quicker because the network is already established and you are just adding on (The Oppo).

Setting up a new network between just an Oppo and PC can be a bit flaky but definitely works fine.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    quicksrt likes this.
  19. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

I've hit a snag.
    I'm using a Mac and I've formatted the thumb drive as MS DOS FAT32 MASTER BOOT DISK.
    I've downloaded the files but my computer no longer sees the drive as usable and won't let me put the files on it.
    Any ideas

20. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

If the same computer you formatted it on does not see the drive as usable, then you have to reformat it.

Also, if you are using a modern Mac with a recent version of MacOS, then the Disk Utility app is not going to offer a FAT32 formatting option exactly. It's going to offer MS-DOS and exFAT as options. Choose MS-DOS, because exFAT is similar to FAT32 but not identical - and in my experience some disc players will not recognize an exFAT-formatted USB drive.

Oliver Meyer and Simon A like this.
  21. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

Ok I did as you said but I'm still getting the same problem. The option is MS-DOS (FAT).
    It just shows up as a remote disk in the side bar of finder.
    I'm unable to put any folders in it.
    Sorry for being computer illiterate

22. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I have had the pleasure if using the Sonore app on my Mac with much success.

I don't have Internet at home at the moment. Can I simply use an Ethernet cable to connect my Mac to my Oppo or is having an Internet connection a must?

23. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I don't believe a direct connection will work. The Mac and Oppo both need to be connected to your home network, either via ethernet or wi-fi.

24. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I haven't used Sonore. But it shouldn't need an internet connection. The ripping process doesn't need an internet connection. The metadata is grabbed off of the SACD itself, so doesn't need an internet connection to get metadata.

You'll need to connect the Oppo to your local network. Have it get an IP address on your local network. And you'll need to be able to figure out what it's IP address is. Then you should be good.

Do you a hub or router? Easiest way to connect the Oppo would be to connect it and your Mac to the hub or router. Many routers will automatically configure the local network in a way that will work without doing much changes.

It is possible to connect the Oppo directly to your Mac using an ethernet cable. But you'll need to use a special crossover style ethernet cable. And then you'll need to manually configure the local network settings and manually set the IP address. It's not going to be automatic like if you were plugging into a router. So best to use a router if you have one. The router shouldn't/doesn't need an internet connection to work unless it's one of the new fangled mesh routers.

25. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Thanks! I'll try connecting them to a router. I'll post my results.

gd0 and tmtomh like this.