SACD ripping, Mac/Oppo. How, exactly?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gd0, May 15, 2017.

1. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

A-ha ! that's it !

You need all 3 files, as shown in your screenshot, from picture #2, on the USB stick, all in the one folder.

2. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies Thread Starter

Hunhh, I was lead to believe otherwise – but it's probably me. I am somewhat outa my element here.

So that I'm perfectly clear: does that mean copy the (new Sonore Mac) sacd_extract to the USB... AND keep a copy in Users/(me)/Music/SACDrips2 as well?

EDIT:

Almost forgot, do these need to be arranged in a special folder in a special way on the USB?

And once that's done, should I start at the beginning again, and do:

cd ~/Music/SACDrips2 ... to access the User folder, then...

./sacd_extract -2 -s -c -i 192.168.1.36:2002 ... to start the rip?

OR - - -

Am I close to to create my own command, and if I want 2ch & 5.1 ISO (to test at least), what should the command look like? Remembering that -2 was 2-channel...

./sacd_extract -I -s -c -i 192.168.1.36:2002

?

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  3. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Yup. After using my WinPC laptop for ripping from PS3s and from Oppos, I recently made an additional setup with a MacBookPro and had to install Java to get it going. Works just fine.

gd0 and tmtomh like this.
  4. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

No ! No don't copy the one from Sonore Mac, you need the one from the Autoscript folder download, they have the same name, but they're different binaries.

5. gd0

@deadcoldfish

Got this:
    Failed to connect
    libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.36:2002 for reading

EDIT:

Sonuvabitch ----------- it's ripping.

I think.

I answered my own question from above and put the old sacd_extract IN THE SAME FOLDER as the Autoscripts. I had not before. Incomprehensible that so many unspoken details mean so much.

Thanks to all who chimed in. Every response has been helpful. And it might not look like it, but I generally understood all of them. I just never do stuff like this: downloading unbranded apps, programming anything.

I'm not done with the questions though. The linked command is yielding a 2-ch DSF. Once I unravel my rip and see how it plays, hopefully gapless (DSOTM), I'll need to figure out which file type I really do want, and will come crawling back for tips on how to set up the command.

Take a break from me; you've earned it. :laugh: Thanx again!

tmtomh, Rolltide and Bill Mac like this.
  6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

:pineapple::bdance:etc etc.

gd0 likes this.
  7. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Indeed. Glad it's working!

gd0 likes this.
  8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I always figured the dancing banana was just a few frames repeating over and over. Take a closer look at it - that's a very elaborate banana dance with many elements. Whoever did that must be one of the finest emoji artists of a generation.

A note on the ripping process - there have been a few times when I've gotten a new SACD, taken the Oppo out of its drawer, and the process just doesn't take. I do the standard objective troubleshooting steps (turn everything on and of a few times and use profanity), and it eventually works again.

Not sure if anybody else has experienced this problem or its just me, but I figure I'd mention it. I might switch to the command line version next time.

9. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Or move to Benicia

10. gd0

Oh, by all means I'm anticipating hiccups like that. 10% of my desktop time is spent unplugging and replugging.

o_O

DSOTM played back beautifully. Threw some album art at it in JRiver. All that stuff works.

Pretty extreme to resolve a ripping problem.

Time to give AF Close To The Edge a spin.

Simon A and tmtomh like this.
  11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Sweet! :thumbsup:

gd0 likes this.
  12. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

all this trouble to rip from a format that has literally zero compelling titles... ;-)

13. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

@gd0 What all have you ripped? How do they sound?

Very nice that you have got this working for yourself.

tmtomh likes this.
  14. gd0

Thanks, but I had a boatload of help here.

Don't laugh, but I've stubbornly seen this through owning only a couple dozen SACDs. :laugh: I've ripped maybe half of them; and all of those are 2-channel only. Ripped those as DSF, which was recommended here.

Nest I'll tinker with commands for ripping 5.1 & 4.0 ISOs, which I'm lead to believe will play directly on JRiver. Or I can convert if needed.

They sound tremendous on my modest 2-ch system. I have to disclose that I'm not a big fan of the SACD format; I just don't hear any difference between that and an equivalent PCM file. Which kinda makes them inconvenient for me. Nonetheless, the SACDs I do have are well-produced and engineered, and leave nothing to be desired. MFSL Pet Sounds and Steve's Close To The Edge are particularly sweet.

tmtomh likes this.
  15. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I have a good DAC that decodes DSD and a good DAC that doesn't. I think it sounds good "native", but I also think it sounds really, really good converted to high-res PCM. Since the advent of DSD playback by means other then the analog outs of an SACD player, there has been so much anxiety over whether or not its secretly getting converted to PCM somewhere in the chain, and I'm just not sure it really matters.

At any rate, it just kind of feels better pulling all the bits off an SACD before it goes in the closet vs. settling for the CD layer.

16. I think the recommendation is to rip as ISO, so that you only have to rip the SACD once. JRiver plays that ISO, but you can always extract DSF or DFF files from it, of which DSF is the preferred format due to its taging capabilities.

gd0, Doug_B and tmtomh like this.
  17. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

This is exactly the kind of thread that is needed on this subject and I want to thank gdO for starting it. Can someone knowledgeable please start a similar thread for doing this using a Windows PC instead of a Mac. I have done a search and there are a few threads mentioning links and some how to tidbits out there none are truly instructional threads like this one. Please keep in mind that many of us have little to no experience along these lines (I am not sure I know what and ISO image or is it a file is ??? :o ) so please make the instructions as basic as possible. I really want to try this (I have 500+ SACD's), but I do not want to go buy a 103 just to discover that I cannot get the process to work. Also do all 103's work for this or do they have to be a particular firmware version?

Bill Mac likes this.
  18. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

All 103s work at present although I suppose OPPO could block it in the future. It's been known for some time however, so I don't think they will unless Sony applies pressure.

19. mfidelity

mfidelity Senior Member

This is how I do it. Once you have the ISO file it only takes 15-20 seconds to extract DSF or DFF files. I play the DSF files from a USB hard drive connected to the Oppo and use the ISO files for back up.

gd0, tmtomh and Doug_B like this.
  20. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yep. :righton:

21. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Having tried both Mac (using Java with the GUI is easier than the technique described without Java) and Windows with my 103D I would say that ripping to ISO and then using ISO2DSD to extract works the best; I keep a backup of all the ISOs. Extracting the files from the ISOs is much faster using the Windows ISO2DSD vs. the Mac version.

tmtomh likes this.
  22. gd0

Yup, I'm sure that's true. But as a novice who doesn't routinely download unbranded apps, or do any programming, I stumbled through a lot of what-is-this and where-do-I-put-it before I ever got to the actual rip (which itself was fairly easy even on Terminal). I sorta knew but didn't factor in that these kinds of things are developed by PC guys with developer tools such as Java (I think). Meanwhile, after all this time, Apple still enjoys, what, 5% market share. So things look less automatic to us. And I make it harder for ditching Java (security concerns).

That said, I could post a written step-by-step instruction here with those factors in mind. But it would apply only to a Mac-no-Java scenario. Maybe someone could preview my work and write an edit for a second Mac-Sonore version.

PC? Sorry, I'm Windoze-illiterate.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Sevoflurane likes this.
  23. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I'm mostly a Mac man myself, but I have to concede that when it comes to ripping the various disc formats the slickest tools are Windows based.

Rolltide and tmtomh like this.
  24. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Firstly, an ISO image is essentially a snapshot of the actually layout of the data on a disc. It has everything structured in blocks, frames, sectors, etc. All the data is encoded according to the rules of the Scarlet Book, with the necessary forward error correction, interleaving structures, etc. A tool that can read an ISO file can essentially simulate all the operations of a disc player, and can decode and display (if required) all the supplemental data that rides along with the audio.

To rip using Windows, follow these steps (any other Windows users please chip in as it has been a while since I did this):

1. go into the Setup Menu of your Oppo and disable Autoplay. On a 105D, hit Setup on the remote, then in Playback Setup ensure Auto Play Mode is set to OFF.

2. connect your Oppo to your home network, (preferably) use a method to ensure that your player has a static IP address (e.g., DHCP reservation which virtually all routers support), and make a note of your Oppo's IP address on your network (you need it to tell the extract program where to look).

3. go here:

Releases · sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper · GitHub

and save the .zip file. This ensures you have the latest version of sacd_extract.

4. then go here:

Sonore - ISO2DSD - converts ISO files to DSD

and save the Windows zip file.

5. then go here:

Dropbox - SACD

and save the Autoscript folder. While there, click to open the sacd_extract folder, and save the sacd.cmd file. You can ignore sacd_extract.exe, as you are getting the latest version 3.8.0 from the above.

6. find a small USB stick you no longer want to use.

7. format it to ensure that there is nothing on it.

8. copy the Autoscript folder to the root (top most directory) of the USB stick.

9. decide where you want to rip your SACDs to, e.g., <big drive>\Music\sacd_rips\ (create folder if necessary).

10. copy the unzipped sacd_extract.exe and sacd.cmd to the folder created in step 9.

11. edit the sacd.cmd file, and change the IP address to match your Oppo player's on your home network. Do NOT change the port number! For example, my .cmd file contains the following: sacd_extract -i 192.168.2.21:2002 -P -I

12. power down your Oppo, disconnect any other USB devices, and then insert the USB stick with the Autoscript folder on it.

13. power up the Oppo.

14. at the end of the power up cycle, the tray will open.

15. insert an SACD, and let it load ('SACD' appears on display)

16. in File Explorer, navigate to your RIP folder (see 9.), locate the sacd.cmd file, right click on it, and select Open. This will cause a DOS window to open with the sacd_extract command in it. After a few seconds, if you have the -P (print) argument set, you will see information about the disc scroll rapidly on the screen and then you will see a progress countdown. (This assumes that you are using a PC on the same network as the Oppo player!)

17. if you opted to rip as an ISO, once the process is complete, go again to your RIP folder. Copy and Unzip the ISO2DSD.zip to this folder, and then run the iso2dsd_gui.exe file.

18. this opens the ISO2DSD graphical user interface. Under Look In, locate your RIP folder. On the right hand side, select the options you require, e.g., for a stereo extraction:

Channel Mode = Dual
    Output Mode = Sony DSF
    Convert DST to DSD checked (just in case your software/hardware cannot decode DST)
    Print checked (so you can see what the program is doing)

19. locate the .iso file you just ripped, and then click on Execute.

20. the program will run, indicating its process. This step is very rapid, and you should soon get a message that it is 100% complete without errors.

21. you will then see a folder in the artist name/title of the disc you ripped and converted.

Once you are happy that the process works correctly, you can then:

a. eject the disc and insert a new one, and then rip again.
    b. use a tagging program to add cover art, credits, etc. to the .dsf files that ISO2DSD creates.

You do not need to do the conversion immediately after each rip. You could rip a bunch of discs to ISO files, and then convert the ISO afterwards.

Hope this helps, and I hope I didn't forget anything.

25. gd0

^ Cool. I'll double back with a Mac version a little later.