SACD ripping, Mac/Oppo. How, exactly?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gd0, May 15, 2017.

1. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies Thread Starter

So...

I did try ISO, and I think I was successful. Whereas ./sacd_extract -2 -s -c -i 192.168.1.34:2002 yielded an album folder with 2-channel DSF files, I took a guess and used ./sacd_extract -I -i 192.168.1.34:2002 to get an ISO file that contained both 2.0 and 5.1.

Using @Black Elk 's 'arguments' list as a guide, I'd ask: if there is a more thorough command I could be using, or have I guessed correctly?

While the ISO did play back on JRiver, it apparently can’t be imported to or displayed on JR’s library. I did ISO-to-FLAC and ISO-to-ALAC conversions, using JRiver’s built-in tools, very fast. (SACD Dark Side Of The Moon.) And now access is all in one place; I’d just as soon keep it convenient; plenty of room to stash ISOs on my Mac.

Playback: I have 2 systems; the 2-ch resides with the Mac / server. The 5.1, including the Oppo, is in another room. Oppo is currently connected to the Mac by a long Ethernet, for ripping. I don’t believe I can feed the Oppo music from the server via Ethernet; at least nothing shows up on Oppo’s network. Have I missed something?

Just for fun I put a few tracks from the 5.1 ALAC and FLAC files to see if they might play in the Oppo through a USB stick. ALAC wouldn’t. But FLAC tried. The result was ultra slow playback speed and low level (kinda creepy and cool), but I was able to determine that signals were coming from all 5 speakers (and the sub, I presume).

Eventually there will be a standalone Mac Mini in the 5.1 room, stuffed with a 2TB HDD.

Meanwhile it appears I’m setting things up correctly, if I can be convinced I’m ripping the ISO in a thorough manner.

2. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Yes, it can. That is what my library consisted of for about 2 years until I began the campaign to convert all to DSF.

RolandG and quicksrt like this.
  3. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies Thread Starter

Thanks Kal. Can you point me to somewhere on the (unwieldy) JRiver wiki where I can learn how to import ISOs?

Or should I forget it? Why did you go to conversions?

4. Doesn't one just drag and drop the ISO into the JRiver library, like with any other file format?

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Would the wording be better saying that you have extracted the dsf files from the ISOs, rather than convert?

6. Kal Rubinson

There is no need for any special attention. I just point to the directory and it imports all music files into the library. You might want to try going to Tools > Options > File Types > Data > Data File Types and enable it but I never had to.

Or should I forget it? Why did you go to conversions?[/QUOTE]Two reasons. First, so that the metadata that can be attached to a DSF (but not an ISO) is transportable to players other than JRiver. Second, to reduce CPU load when processing hi-rez, multichannel files with conversion, down-sampling and equalization. Third, so that I can use my library with other players such as Roon, HQPlayer, etc..

gd0 and tmtomh like this.
  7. Kal Rubinson

Sure.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The only reason I brought it up or could care is because I am doing all of this computer audio files stuff along with everyone else, but I am trying to play files in their native resolutions if not exact formats with no conversions, only lossless encoding sometimes like flac perhaps. I try for same exact bit rates sample rates etc. for my player files.

Thx for all the help btw.

9. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

Anyone know if this method works with the 980H? It has a mediatek chip but not sure what model.

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

There's different MediaTek chip set in the 980H so it can't rip SACDs. The only Oppo players that can rip SACDs are the 103, 103D, 105 and 105D. The MediaTek chip sets that can rip SACDs are MT8580 and MT8560 in Oppo, Cambridge Audio and Pioneer players.

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

tmtomh likes this.
  11. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

BE, Thank you very much, this is great. My first question is about Step 2 (I said I was going to need a lot of help :hide: ). My house was built in 1973, so there is no Ethernet cable in the walls. My internet and phone service come to the house on a buried fiber optic cable which after conversion to electrical signal is connected to a WiFi router for internet service that is on the lowest level of our house. Our three computers get their internet feed using WiFi. We have one printer connected to the home network using WiFi. There are Ethernet ports on the router. Do I have to connect the Oppo to the router with an Ethernet cable or can it be done using WiFi? Also, I assume I will need to hookup the Oppo to display screen to be able to display menus and commands. If my computers have HDMI ports can I use the as the display screen for the Oppo and still use the computer for the other steps where it is needed?

12. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

THe Oppo needs to be on the same network, so WiFi should work, though a wired connection will almost always be faster and more stable. My PC is upstairs and my Oppo downstairs and SACD ripping worked over a Powerline network for me.

13. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Hi Tony,

As Sevoflurane wrote, no, you do not need to be connected via a cable, it is just preferred. You will need to check your Wi-Fi connection. If it is sufficiently strong, you should be fine. I could not see a difference in speed between a cable and Wi-Fi, but that was with all the equipment in the same room (so no issues with Wi-Fi signal). Alternatively, you could do what Sevoflurane describes, and use an ethernet over AC power option (I do this myself to get ethernet into the bottom floor of my home).

No, you cannot use the HDMI ports on laptops as display screens, they are HDMI outputs, intended for taking the laptop video signal to a TV or projector. You will need to attach a monitor with HDMI port. Once you have made the changes, you can remove the monitor from the room with the Oppo (or take the Oppo to the room with the monitor, whichever is easiest).

14. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Received a Pioneer BDP-80FD from Amazon yesterday and have been ripping my SACD collection to my laptop. I've been looking for something like this for years. Awesome.

tmtomh likes this.
  15. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

:righton:

I got one a few months ago and ripped a few SACDs to confirm that it worked. I'm still in the process of ripping my CD collection to FLAC and when complete I will then will proceed to the rest of the SACDs.

I only have the Various Artists and Miles Davis CDs left to rip. :sweating:

Kyhl and tmtomh like this.
  16. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Some nice warehouse deals on that unit with the 20% off prime discount.

konoyaro and tmtomh like this.
  17. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

I might pick up that Pioneer as a ripping-only backup for my Oppo 105D.

Doug

tmtomh likes this.
  18. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Basically there are 2 things
    1) A lot is written about hires formats being better or not better than CD level PCM. Personally I think that the recording and mastering are more important than a difference in lossless digital format. You need a very good system, room and listening position to hear difference between 16/44 PCM and hires, IMHO.
    2) The SACDs you're mentioning basically have the same mastering on both the Redbook and the SACD stereo layer. If you really want to hear a difference, try the following SACDs: Statues by Moloko, Twentysomething by Jamie Cullum or Sacred Love by Sting. On these, someone took the trouble to make a better master for the SACD layer and it sounds much better. Of course it's not the difference in format, but the difference in mastering that's key here.

PS. I was looking for an SACD enabled PS3 but just gave up and nowadays I make "laserdrops" of SACDs where the SACD layer sounds different. It's nice to know there are other digital options next to an old PS3.

tmtomh likes this.
  19. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Is the Pioneer BDP-80FD the cheapest option? I am on mac and not the most computer literate but I'm ready to take a crack at this.

20. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this in the thread. I've been waiting for a good price in my range on this player and decided to buy one.

I have about 14 hybrid SACDs I'd like to back up and it bugs me that I cannot rip the SACD layer on them at the moment.

It seems to be the cheapest option that I've seen around. The compatible Oppo players are much more expensive.

tmtomh and bmoregnr like this.
  21. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yes, definitely the cheapest (in the U.S. at least - I believe the Pioneer 160 might be the cheapest in Europe).

Some of us thought the Oppo BDP-103 would come down in price on the used/refurb market once the new 203 came out. But because the 203's chipset does not support SACD ripping (and does not support HDCD decoding), so far the 103s are commanding high prices on the used market because their unique characteristics, while a niche market, are keeping demand up. Same goes for the 105 vs the 205.

22. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I am really tempted to jump on this since I have had no luck finding an Oppo 103 (now discontinued) at a sensible price. Given how many SACD's I have (500+) it is going to take a long time to rip them all. OTOH, If I can just be disciplined enough to do 2 each day for 5 days a week for 50 weeks that is 500 SACD's ripped. I am going to have to have a serious talk with myself and and either do this or forget about it. :sigh:

23. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Just looked on eBay - there are a number of Oppo BDP-103 units on there for about $325. A great deal if you ask me. Especially since you have 500(!) SACDs - that's just 65 cents per SACD.

superstar19 likes this.
  24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I had a similar number of SACDs and managed (a couple years ago) to do it in a few months with a playstation. Remember it takes a half hour (give or take) per disc, so you can do other things while they're ripping and do a handful every evening.

tmtomh likes this.
  25. Kal Rubinson

I have a pair of PS3s and I can easily rip about 20 per day. Still, I have a long way to go.