Sacd Software Help

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronflugelguy, Jun 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek Thread Starter

I'm most likely buying a SACD player this weekend. I would llike to hear from anyone who can recomend any software that is good, as i won't have much money left afterwards for a while, I don't want to buy any on just chance. Thanks, Ron

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Gotta get Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue in SACD. It's also a Mch.

Also, I liked Herbie Handcock's Headhunters a lot. Wowie.

Bob Dylan's Blonde On Blonde has a new mix, sounds great, and is also concidered a single cd, 2Lps- Single Price SACD.

3. Ronflugelguy

well Sckott, there's two on your list that I don't own in any format.So that's a start. How's the multichannel mix on KOB?

4. Sckott

Nice that I finally got to hear it. Sheesh. Life gets in the way of life.

But listen to it in stereo. You can really hear Miles's lips on that trumpet, more than you could imagine.

I liked the Mch of 52nd Street too. That was nice.

I just ordered the MFSL SACD Duke Ellington "Blues In Orbit". Haven't heard it yet, but it's going sparce!

I just got Boston too. Also, excellent, but might not be on everyones #1 list.

Hopefully more labels will follow suit. That's what everyone's going nutty for.

5. Ronflugelguy

"BLUES IN ORBIT" MOFI, what's the going price these days?

6. Sckott

I paid $58w/ shipping, sealed. They're going for $150.00 occasionally on eBay, short of $75-80 in the middle.

It's a dual layer. Did you want one?

7. Ronflugelguy

Let me know how it sounds, for now I'll stick to my "CLASSIC" LP. Hoping to get SACDs that I don't already have on other fomats.

8. Sckott

9. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

My SACD player should be in by tue. It was an emergency purchase so I'm not quite prepared for buying SACDs, but I think I'll have to order all three of Skotts suggestions--plus Weather Report/Black Market. I think I'm feeling giddy.

Does anyone have more picks?

10. Ronflugelguy

Yeah Sckott, Its already gone. At this point that's good for me , I don't need to over extend myself.............................

11. Marc Pool

Marc Pool New Member

I like most of the titles I bought so far. And I bought a lot of stuff I didn't really know before. I'll give you a list of my favorite titles

Ana Caram - Blue Bossa (brasil/jazz)
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood (80's pop/rock)
    Alison Krauss (own both disc realesed so far)
    Carel Kraayenhof - Tango Royal
    Al DiMeola - Elegant Gypsy (Japanese release)
    Kinobe (British dance/trance)
    Groove Amanda (British dance/trance/rap)

It's a wierd bunch of titles but with the still limited amount of software available you have to take some risks.

Universal is releasing about 9 titles next month. You can find the list all over the internet and they've got some desent titles coming. I'm planning to buy 2 or 3 of those. And if you're into Joe Satriani you'll be glad to hear his new album will also be released on SACD.

12. Sckott

Dave Brubeck's "Time Out" in SACD is also stunning, and well worth the 39 minutes sitting in front of the speakers as well. I never got the Mch version. I snarfed the 2ch version as I walked out with my 775 waiting in the trunk of the car.

Also, another great SACD. If you never got the remaster, this will feel like you've never been there.

[​IMG]

13. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

I'll have to get Brubeck.

Marc, is the latest CD by Allison Krauss the one you're talking about? I have the redbook issue which has great quality already, so it would be insane if the SACD had improved on it.

14. Marc Pool

Marc Pool New Member

Pigmode,

No it's a older one called Now that I've found you and another one I don't know the title from. I'm at work so I can't look it up for you, but you find the information on the Rounder records website.
    As far as I know the latest album will also be released on SACD. And you can be sure that no matter how good the CD sounds you'll still want to buy the SACD. The improvement will be big, especially if the new album is recorded using DSD.

15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I have two Alison Krauss SACDs and am waiting to get the third - Elusive Disc are currently out of "New Favourite".

"Forget About It" and "Now That I've Found You" are both excellent - typically $20.

Regards,
    Metralla

16. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Are all multi-channel discs compatible with 2 channel?

17. rudy

rudy Forum Resident

I agree with everyone about the Allison Krause discs. I also reccomend the Patricia Barber releases. I just purchased Modern Cool last weekend and it is the most impressive SACD disc I have bought thus far.

18. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Here's what I ordered so far:

Miles Davis/ Kind Of Blue
    Dave Brubeck/ Time Out
    Bob Dylan/ Blonde On Blonde
    Allison Krauss/ New Favorite &
    Forget About It
    Seiji Ozawa/ Boston Sym. Orch. Vivaldi - The Four Seasons

Where are the good sites for ordering SACDs?

19. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

You'll like New Favorite when you get it. Another winner from Rounder & Alison Krauss.

And the Multichannel sound - very nice indeed, especially on the title track !

20. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

What titles is Universal releasing next month? Any rock titles?

21. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Depend or you musical tastes...

Miles Davis-Kind Of Blue
    Journey - Escape
    Michael Jackson - Thriller
    Santana - Abraxas
    Telarc's - 1812
    Billy Joel-52nd Steet and The Stranger

Wait on the Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell... it'll be out in MCH next month.

On that note, I personally buy MCH when I can. There is a stereo mix on the disc and it gives you the option of how you want to listen to the disc.

22. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Re: Depend or you musical tastes...

I always look for the MC mix as well and would even hold off buying a stereo only version if MC was available but I still can't get used to the MC mixes. The more that I listen to the stereo recordings, the more I really am beginning to love SACD though. I am at the point where I almost feel bad about spending the $$$ on a regular CD when I could invest it in a new SACD title. I am buying about 1 every 3-4 days now. I'M HOOKED! Bring 'em on Steve! Please hurry! :D

I still have to say that the best sounding titles I have thus far are the three Patricia Barber's from MFSL. Nothing's come close yet...well 'Full Circle' by The Pilhofer Jazz Quartet on DMP is very, very good, too. It's the only full DSD recording that I've purchased yet.

23. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Re: Re: Depend or you musical tastes...

Speaking of Multichannel SACD discs, I should mention my web listing of Multichannel SACDs at http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/bmoura/msacdnow.htm That will show what's available and what is upcoming on Multichannel SACD.

As for high quality sound, the DMP SACDs are very good. But if you're going for sonics, I'd also recommend the SACDs from Rounder, Opus 3 and some of Telarcs (Michel Camilo's Trianglo for example).

And you'll find a listing of DSD recorded SACDs from several record labels over on Elusive Disc's web site at http://www.elusivedisc.com/ . Some real winners in that group as well.

24. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Re: Re: Depend or you musical tastes...

Strangely enough, I bought this on eBay yesterday for $17.00 including shipping. I used PayPal and he shipped it out instantly - nice effort. The seller was the vibe player - Steve Yeager! We exchanged some friendly emails.

You can see his web site at www.steveyeager.com.

Regards,
    Metralla

25. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Re: Re: Re: Depend or you musical tastes...

Thanks, bmoura. I have had your website bookmarked for some time now and have been referring to it from time to time before shopping to see if a title is stereo only or if the MC is out there or upcoming. Great resource! Keep it up!

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.