SAE MC Cartridges (NOS) On eBAY

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ampexed, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Can't you just turn up the volume a bit?

2. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Yeah 46db sounds more like it. Still, even when I turned up the SAE to the same volume as the AT, it was definitely softer sounding with less impact. Test records were Billy Joel, James Taylor, Zeppelin, Steely Dan. A couple of Blue Note jazz LPs. Great sound on acoustic guitars, vocals for sure. Not a rocker though IMO.

3. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I did. Still lacked the punch and dynamics of the AT. Just softer.

4. Davey

I understand, but the sound shouldn't really change with more phono preamp gain, that's all I meant.

5. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Going from VM540ML at 3.5mv to SAE 1000LT 2.5mv made no difference in my volume control. 1000LT has greater dynamics than VM540ML that has a lot of dynamics. 1000LT is a little more open with higher soundstage too. VM540ML out tracks the 1000LT. If my records are not perfectly clean, he 1000LT skips occasionally. Also, the 1000LT is more sensitive to crackles and pops.

6. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

Would agree, I am a big 95ML fan (which is basically identical to the 540ML) and much prefer the LT.

7. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

You're right. But maybe the Darlington pre might sound better with more input voltage as well?. Like I said, not really fair to compare elliptical to ML either.

8. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

540ml is 4 mv. Or essentially 40% higher output.

9. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I just have the elliptical SAE. I do think the 540ml is superior to the 95ml by a good margin myself. I've had both.

10. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

There is literally no difference. People couldn't pick which one is which in a blind test. Look at the files JP posted on the previous page which is completely different stylus shapes - very little difference. It's been demonstrated here several times with sound files from dissimilar carts how difficult it is to pick which is which on a blind test.

11. JP

JP Forum Resident

That would be non-linear response = broken. I've a 740 so we could do some comparisons. You can pick something you're familiar with if you like: Check out jpjones3's music collection on Discogs

12. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I guess that's good news for the 1000e then!

13. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Based upon sales about 3 days left on the SAE 1000e sale on eBay.

14. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

No need. I have both carts mounted up right in front of me. It really wasn't close between the SAE and 540ml on my rig yesterday. But, I think it's a matter of taste here. Now the Denon 103 LOMC is a different story altogether IMO. It bests the AT 540 to my ears. But my 103 needs a retip and I swapped phono preamps to MM only Darlington recently. So have some work to do there. I will check out your collection on Discogs though! Thanks!

15. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

As usual in this forum.... people discussing sound of cables or other meaningless subjects for pages and pages, then somebody comes with a simple A1 vs A2 comparison and almost nobody comments. Is really a simple blind test sufficient to turn so many keyboard lions into kittens? I know because it happened to me in the past... Do you prefer A or B (it took some time to prepare A and B)? Every know-it-all immediately disappeared.

TSWisla and Davey like this.
  16. Davey

Hehe, level matching and a blindfold does tend to make a lot of the obvious differences not so obvious anymore :)

psemeraro, TSWisla and Jimi Floyd like this.
  17. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

You think someone surfing this site on a laptop can tell the difference. :laugh:

jeff

hammr7 and John Landreth like this.
  18. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

The member posted the sound samples on a different forum too. I assume they're the same samples because the song is the same. On that other forum, it wasn't a blind comparison though. But I commented there:

The E sounds a fair amount more vintage to me. Less extended, bass a little boomier, less detailed. I don’t hear the 4K and up rise in freq response (this is in response to a freq response curve he posted).

The LT seems lighter on its feet, more texture/detail/nuance.

I thought the differences between the two carts were noticeable enough that I thought I could reliably tell the difference between the two.

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  19. Jimi Floyd

I would think who is surfing this site is also able to connect his laptop to his DAC. It takes 1 USB cable

20. Jimi Floyd

Not blind there? s**t! Any comment is meaningless, then. I am sorry.

21. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Without referring back to the other site and just listening to the first time to A1 and A2, my ears tell me A1 = E and A2 = LT.

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  22. hammr7

hammr7 Forum Resident

In trying to compare sound samples, unless everything about each setup is identical, same deck, same tonearm, same electronics, same ADC, etc., there are too many possible variables. And that doesn't even touch on the history and pressing of the record being played.

From what I have read in this thread, not every turntable is optimal for these cartridges. And not every setup has been truly optimized.

And some ears may not benefit from any actual differences between these two cartridges, or in comparison to other cartridges. And some ears may not appreciate any differences in the same way.

I have long believed speakers are extremely personal, and that the best speakers for my ears are not necessarily the same for others. I will provide all sorts of recommendations for other stereo components. But my stock speaker answer is take music you like and listen to a bunch of different speakers to figure out what works personally for you.

I have long believed that the second most personal component in a vinyl system is the cartridge, for many of the same reasons as the speakers.

23. JP

JP Forum Resident

I can do samples of something else - both carts are still mounted on dedicated armwands.

The original files were done in response to a couple people putting forth the summary argument that MC are always significantly better than MM. Having done a lot of testing and measurements I know when FR measurements are close, that the difference between competent cartridges is very small when you're not peaking.

The files were renamed and recycled for a bit of fun with the good-natured folks at VE. It was never intended as an LT vs. E comparison - when I got around to mounting up the E I didn't have the inclination to do another set of files at that time.

ubiknik, inzite and Jimi Floyd like this.
  24. Jimi Floyd

No problem, we are all in this hobby for having fun. I am not attending much other hifi sites, so I wasn't aware of this discussion going on elsewhere. About MCs being always and significantly better than MMs, I have had and still have cartridges which does not fit into this simple scheme, both ways. At a certain level it is probably the turntable which makes more of a difference than the cartridge.
    Speaking of which, compliments for your SP-10 MkIII, it is a mythological table. I am often thinking about putting a new SP-10R side by side to my SME, but that would mean putting away the old Thorens TD124, which I am not prepared to do still.
    Anyway, since the ship has sailed, is A1=E and A2=LT correct? I am not requiring new samples anyway, even if you are so kind to offer the chance. I didn't hear any significant difference between the two anyway. Cheers.

25. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

thanks for the effort! so which one was the second one? Gut feeling was the 2nd one grabbed my attention more.