SAE MC Cartridges (NOS) On eBAY

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ampexed, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

I'm in Europe and asked seller if they would post outside USA - but no was the answer unfortunately.

I don't know anyone in USA, but if someone would assist buying a couple of cartridges to be re-posted to me (and others ?) I'd be happy to pay for that duty..

jusbe and woodpigeon like this.
  2. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

Ditto

Elvis Pedalhead and jusbe like this.
  3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Good info. I know you are busy but did you have time to check the tracking ability spec? Does it hit 70um only or do a little better? Thanks.

ubiknik likes this.
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Where are you located? You could try a proxy shipping service, but some sellers don't like those.

Pmds55889397 likes this.
  5. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

It’s strange they don’t ship international, because their website states that they ship all of their merch on the site internationally. They don’t show the SAE carts on their site though.

Pmds55889397 likes this.
  6. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Yeah strange
    I have zero experience withProxy ship so my hope if someone would buy a few extra of these to re-post

7. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I just ordered one if each. I really have no need for a cartridge in my main system, but am planning on setting up a U-Turn Orbit Plus for my wife to use now that we’ve moved into our new house. It’s got an Ortofon OM20 on it now, sounds like the SAE Eliptical will be a nice upgrade. I’ll mount the LT on one of my extra headshells and give it a try on my Kenwood KD770D which is of the same vintage.

ubiknik likes this.
  8. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I really liked my 900E, so I went ahead and ordered a 1000LT. Fingers crossed!

ubiknik likes this.
  9. hammr7

hammr7 Forum Resident

This might have more to do with cartridge age and the company's reputation. I have heard of one cartridge with a bum channel, which was immediately replaced. In the US that action cost the seller an extra $10 or $15. With the crazy International shipping fees the same wonderful customer service would cost more than the original sale price.

utahusker, 33na3rd and ubiknik like this.
  10. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

Ordered an LT last weekend and finally received it today. Sounds great, very balanced and clean. Ordered another one before they ran out on the ebay listing, although hopefully they add more stock like they did a week ago. Curious about the elliptical version but I've always personally preferred a microline shape. Great to see Josephs' measurements as well to confirm the "health" of these.

33na3rd likes this.
  11. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Listening today to a little Zappa (Shiek Yerbouti) w/the LT and the bass is powerful and deep.
    It makes me wonder if it's just those brass bolts I used to tightly bond it to the headshell or if just the nature of the catrtridge?
    I do mean in a good way so nothing disconcerting here, if anything it's a bonus -it sounds really good, stupid good for $100...

33na3rd likes this.
  12. ranch 22b

ranch 22b Forum Resident

Anyone finding their 1000LT to be more than a bit on the bright side? I've only got an hour on mine but am wondering if I should have ordered the plain elliptical version instead.

13. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Probably a good idea to give it a couple of weeks. One hour on something that's been sitting dormant for 40+ years is probably too harsh a judgement.

ranch 22b likes this.
  14. needlestein

needlestein GrooveTickler

Mine is not at all bright.

ranch 22b and t4t3r like this.
  15. needlestein

needlestein GrooveTickler

I could do that. I didn’t because the other numbers were so high I can pretty much guarantee it tracks well. But why not? Might as well.

woodpigeon, ubiknik and patient_ot like this.
  16. hammr7

hammr7 Forum Resident

When I used my Coral in the 1980s I had a very neutral system, including big (and inefficient) Kef speakers. The E version warmed up the mid and upper frequencies just a touch, unless you ran it lighter than spec. That bought you a much livelier output at the possible expense of being too bright. I have heard the LT version could be brighter still, and both carts show up flaws in less-than-perfect records. As noted by others, alignment is critical as well.

John Landreth and ranch 22b like this.
  17. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

Shoot, looks like he's out? Or just not selling at the moment?
    I bought a second LT yesterday just as a backup - as someone mentioned, it's cheaper than a retip. If he's out, glad I acted when I did.

18. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would check your resistive and capacitive loading settings. The response I saw (of this batch of cartridges) had no tipped up high frequencies. I don't know what the loading settings were however. Note that I have nothing to do with the seller of these cartridges. I do know people who are more involved, which is how I knew of the impending sale of these before they hit eBay.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
    ubiknik likes this.
  19. woodpigeon

How much gain does the LT need? They seem like they’re a little low output for a typical MM stage, and a little high for MC.

20. Ampexed

They have about half the output of a moving magnet cartridge.

woodpigeon likes this.
  21. woodpigeon

So you’d just give the volume knob a little twist to the right?

22. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

I just threw mine on my Technics. It is a little bit lower on the gain compared to the cart that was on there earlier, but not drastically so. As mentioned, a couple of clicks to the right on the amplifier and it's all good again.

A very nice sounding cartridge indeed. And looks like they're still for sale though at least for me the page only had the "wishlist" option on it for a while.

33na3rd and woodpigeon like this.
  23. hammr7

hammr7 Forum Resident

It looks like more are available on Ebay for those who missed the earlier round. Both versions have new postings.

Rekkerds and bjlefebvre like this.
  24. Ampexed

+6dB to be precise.

woodpigeon likes this.
  25. woodpigeon

Right, 6dB doubles volume, 2.5mV is half of the typical 5mV. That makes sense, thanks!